The Student Room Group

Need Help deciding university (RG foundation vs Non-russel)

Im currently on a gap year, and was interested on advice between two universities for computer science! :smile:
1- University of leicester : 3 year bsc + option for placement in industry after year 2. Pros: High employability, good modules, and also decent connections. Social life also seems decent, the city isnt too bad and i know a few that go to universities in leicester or near.
2- Foundation at either Manchester or Nottingham - Manchester is mainly my 2nd choice atm. Its foundation as i did not do a-level maths or computing. The modules on the manchester programme is more math based which would make transition to jobs etc much easier. And also i like the idea of going into finance too which manchester would help as its semi target and also (teaching more maths). Manchester also has better connections and better internships
However is the year of tuition fee worth it. I was thinking instead spending the year on placements and work experience (As building my portfolio would be more important than university prestige - correct me if im wrong) and possibly transferring to a more prestige uni after completing bachelors at Leicester. But is that realistic, and is that better than the connections and internships that could be offered throughout my years in manchester. I am also willing to learn the math modules not covered and more advanced in my own time too just to note.
Please advice me into picking correctly hehe
Go to Leicester. A placement year and degree from Leicester will give you much more than a foundation year at Manchester.
Leicester is not a bad uni. Yes, it's not 'Russell Group' but it's solid.
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Go to Leicester. A placement year and degree from Leicester will give you much more than a foundation year at Manchester.

I would get a Bsc in compsci if i do pass foundation and the 3 years of Bsc. My arguments are that manchester is more math based so would give me better skills for wider prospects in compsci however it is 4 years of debt instead. Manchester is also much more "prestige". Is a masters important in Compsci or would Bsc + work exp be enough (if thats the case leaning more towards manchester)
Reply 4
Original post by mike23mike
Leicester is not a bad uni. Yes, it's not 'Russell Group' but it's solid.

I also like leicester a lot. Im just weighing the options to see whats best for my future :smile:
Reply 5
My understanding is that, in computer science, a decent placent and work experience is key for your CV, and more important than prestige. Manchester with a year out would be great but obviously the foundation year would already add a year. So that doesn't sound worth it to me.
Original post by Jack008
I would get a Bsc in compsci if i do pass foundation and the 3 years of Bsc. My arguments are that manchester is more math based so would give me better skills for wider prospects in compsci however it is 4 years of debt instead. Manchester is also much more "prestige". Is a masters important in Compsci or would Bsc + work exp be enough (if thats the case leaning more towards manchester)

I know you'd get a BSc either way

A placement year and a Leicester BSc will do more for your career prospects than a Manchester BSc
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
I know you'd get a BSc either way

A placement year and a Leicester BSc will do more for your career prospects than a Manchester BSc

Whats your opinion on doing BSc with placement at Leic then doing Masters at Manchester or a more prestige university
I think a foundation Bsc computer sci with placement at a prestige uni might be just as good if i wasnt going to do masters until later in my career (not sure if thats a good idea)
Original post by Jack008
Whats your opinion on doing BSc with placement at Leic then doing Masters at Manchester or a more prestige university
I think a foundation Bsc computer sci with placement at a prestige uni might be just as good if i wasnt going to do masters until later in my career (not sure if thats a good idea)

A masters isn’t that useful for a CS career - at least not immediately after a BSc

wasting a year (and a lot of money) doing an unnecessary foundation is a silly decision IMO
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
A masters isn’t that useful for a CS career - at least not immediately after a BSc

wasting a year (and a lot of money) doing an unnecessary foundation is a silly decision IMO

If Masters isnt that useful immediately after surely for future career and employability at better firms etc going to a higher ranked uni is better? Especially since looking higher ranked uni usually have graduates with better starting salary and career progression, and also more connections. AHHH im so lost bout what to do haha
Original post by Jack008
If Masters isnt that useful immediately after surely for future career and employability at better firms etc going to a higher ranked uni is better? Especially since looking higher ranked uni usually have graduates with better starting salary and career progression, and also more connections. AHHH im so lost bout what to do haha

Work experience from a placement year will make more difference to your graduate employability than the difference between Leicester and Manchester

Alan Turing isn’t working at Manchester anymore. It’s good but it’s not that good!
Hi

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending