The Student Room Group

Results day nightmare

I opened my results to find out I got CCE after being the first year after covid to have the 2019 grade boundaries, and had to go into clearing to apply for a foundation year only, is it possible to transfer from a good non russel group uni (Leicester) foundation into a 1st year russel group uni, after successful completion of the foundation course.
It’s not impossible but it’s unlikely. A Leicester foundation year is designed to prepare you for first year at Leicester. It may not be suitable to prepare you for first year at a different university.

Which Russell group university are you interested in? What is it about the RG that is so appealing?
Reply 2
Think about resitting your A levels and avoiding the Foundation year trap.
It will be worth it in the end.
Reply 3
York, Leeds, etc as I missed those unis, due to my last subject
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger

Resitting is not easy for my subjects I'm thinking of doing an alevel in one year
Reply 5
Original post by McGinger

Also why is it a trap
Reply 6
Original post by Alexxxx69
Also why is it a trap

Because it ties you to completing the main degree at that Uni and only that Uni.

If you resit your A levels you can apply to 5 new UCAS choices.
Also why is it a trap

It's also more expensive then retaking, uses a year of your HE funding and if you miss the progression criteria you have a fairly useless qualification. Whereas at least with AL's or similar even if you don't get accepted as a near miss you can still use clearing if needs be.

Unless you really want to go to the FY uni, they are rarely the best option.
Resit your A Levels I reckon, rather than do a foundation year & be tied to a university you're not interested in.
Reply 9
That's not easy for myself, as the exams are content heavy

And the unis prefer 3 exams together

And would still see the e
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
It’s not impossible but it’s unlikely. A Leicester foundation year is designed to prepare you for first year at Leicester. It may not be suitable to prepare you for first year at a different university.

Which Russell group university are you interested in? What is it about the RG that is so appealing?

York and Leeds
That's not easy for myself, as the exams are content heavy

And would still see the e

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way but if you're really deadset on getting into York/ Leeds, I think resitting might be the only option. You have an entire year to go over & revise content that you've already been learning for two years. As content heavy as the exam may be, you have a whole year to just revise, and can definitely improve from CCE if you're dedicated in getting into a RG.

If not, I'd just stick w Leicester. Entry requirements exist because universities want to make sure that you're capable of undertaking the intellectual & academic intensity of their course, hence use A Level grades as a proxy of sorts. So if you truly don't think you can improve from CCE given you'll have an entire year to do so, then York/ Leeds might not actually be the place for you as how do you know that you'll be able to cope with the course & do well (e.g. a 1st from Leicester > a 3rd from York/ Leeds).
Reply 12
I completely agree with everyone else here. Given your situation and determination to go to unis like York and Leeds, the resit is the best option. You're not going to be learning new content in a year. Rather, you'll be revising what you've already studied and learning proper exam techniques. A whole year to revise sounds amazing.

Another thing you could do is check if your desired course is available at your preferred unis through Clearing. You could call and ask if they'll take you onto the course as a foundation year student. So instead of doing a foundation year at Leicester, you might be able to do a foundation year at York or Leeds. This second route is riskier, though. It's like putting all your eggs in one basket and cutting off the chance to re-apply to 4 other unis. However, if you really don't want to resit, it's an option.
Reply 13
Original post by confuzzledteen
I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way but if you're really deadset on getting into York/ Leeds, I think resitting might be the only option. You have an entire year to go over & revise content that you've already been learning for two years. As content heavy as the exam may be, you have a whole year to just revise, and can definitely improve from CCE if you're dedicated in getting into a RG.

If not, I'd just stick w Leicester. Entry requirements exist because universities want to make sure that you're capable of undertaking the intellectual & academic intensity of their course, hence use A Level grades as a proxy of sorts. So if you truly don't think you can improve from CCE given you'll have an entire year to do so, then York/ Leeds might not actually be the place for you as how do you know that you'll be able to cope with the course & do well (e.g. a 1st from Leicester > a 3rd from York/ Leeds).

Absolutely true. A lot of students forget that the entry requirements are not just there for the sake of being selective. They're also an indication of the level of work you'll be expected to put in while studying the chosen course. I've seen a few get in through any means possible only to drop out because they couldn't keep up with the workload.
Reply 14
Original post by DarylO
I completely agree with everyone else here. Given your situation and determination to go to unis like York and Leeds, the resit is the best option. You're not going to be learning new content in a year. Rather, you'll be revising what you've already studied and learning proper exam techniques. A whole year to revise sounds amazing.

Another thing you could do is check if your desired course is available at your preferred unis through Clearing. You could call and ask if they'll take you onto the course as a foundation year student. So instead of doing a foundation year at Leicester, you might be able to do a foundation year at York or Leeds. This second route is riskier, though. It's like putting all your eggs in one basket and cutting off the chance to re-apply to 4 other unis. However, if you really don't want to resit, it's an option.

Yes, but I'm not progressing in the way of education but redoing a hard a level, with no insurance choice at all - and Leicester being an insurance choice of a uni, so I'll ask the rg unis if they could consider me for their courses next year w the foundation
Reply 15
Original post by DarylO
Absolutely true. A lot of students forget that the entry requirements are not just there for the sake of being selective. They're also an indication of the level of work you'll be expected to put in while studying the chosen course. I've seen a few get in through any means possible only to drop out because they couldn't keep up with the workload.

And resitting french bc of the e is too hard
Reply 16
Yes, but I'm not progressing in the way of education but redoing a hard a level, with no insurance choice at all - and Leicester being an insurance choice of a uni, so I'll ask the rg unis if they could consider me for their courses next year w the foundation

With a resit, you're not progressing because you didn't pass the current level to a satisfactory degree. That's the whole point of it. You need to figure out what went wrong so that it doesn't happen again.

Also, if you're going to wait for next year, it does you no harm to retake the A Level. Don't waste your gift year of funding with a foundation year at a uni you don't want to stay in.
Reply 17
And resitting french bc of the e is too hard

I don't understand how you go from 'A Levels are too hard' to 'I want to face the workload of a Level 4 course at an RG uni'. You do realise that it'll be tougher than A Levels. This is quite worrisome.
Reply 18

Have you actually asked the Unis about this?
Many Unis are actually fine with this so don't 'assume'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending