The Student Room Group

Law

Is it better to do law with business at a Russel group or LLB law at a non Russel group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laila.04
Is it better to do law with business at a Russel group or LLB law at a non Russel group

That ultimately depends on which course and which uni you would prefer to study at. You need to work out what you think is best for you.
Law with business
Original post by LawStudent456
Law with business

Could you tell the OP why you think that? That will help them more with their decision than just stating which you think is best.
Reply 4
I’m going to Leicester uni and I was wondering if a year abroad will be worth it? I plan to go to a London firm so will doing a year abroad increase my chance
Reply 5
I went to a non Russel group in Leicester uni for LLB law got a 2:1 and did a masters for international commercial business at Birmingham uni. Can I get into a magic circle firm?
have you got any vac schemes/mini pupillage
Reply 7
I’m going to be doing LLB law at Leicester I didn’t do so well in alevels and I’m gutted that it isn’t a Russel group uni. If I work hard and get a first and participate in societies and have work experience can I still get into a London law firm? Would it be best for me to take a gap year and apply to a Russel group uni?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 8
I wasn’t able to get a Russel group uni for law due to clearing having been full at Russel group unis. I am now going to Leicester uni but it’s not a Russel group and I really want to go to a London law firm. Would it be best for me to take a gap year and apply next year to a Russel group?
What do you mean by a London law firm? Do you mean a big MC-type law firm, or any old high street firm in London? You’ve still got a chance with the former, but it’s worth noting that most TCs are given to RG uni graduates. Equally, though, I’ve seen plenty of trainees from non-RG universities in those firms so I’d focus on getting a first + good extra curricular. As to the latter, you’ll be fine with Leicester too.

It’s also worth noting that firms do still have A-level requirements. ABB tends to be the lower end of that spectrum so as long as you’ve got AAB you’re set. There are also firms who don’t ask for A-levels so you’ve still got options there.
Reply 10
Original post by sublime-baths
What do you mean by a London law firm? Do you mean a big MC-type law firm, or any old high street firm in London? You’ve still got a chance with the former, but it’s worth noting that most TCs are given to RG uni graduates. Equally, though, I’ve seen plenty of trainees from non-RG universities in those firms so I’d focus on getting a first + good extra curricular. As to the latter, you’ll be fine with Leicester too.

It’s also worth noting that firms do still have A-level requirements. ABB tends to be the lower end of that spectrum so as long as you’ve got AAB you’re set. There are also firms who don’t ask for A-levels so you’ve still got options there.

Ok thank you so much! This gives me encouragement
Original post by CatusStarbright
Could you tell the OP why you think that? That will help them more with their decision than just stating which you think is best.

Just been told off on TSR💀. Why don’t you give a detailed answer if you’re that bothered mate.

Russell group better uni. ‘Oh but Russell Group is just a marketing gimmick with self elected members’. Yes that’s true, but it doesn’t change the fact that they are still the best unis.

Law with business, like with a straight law degree, means you can skip any conversion course you may have to do if you are looking to be a solicitor.
I’d stick with Leicester. One of the best non-RG unis. Leicester is a social student city too.
I thought you had graduated Leicester and done a masters at Brum??
Reply 14
I’m going to be doing LLB law at uni I got into Leicester through clearing as my alevels weren’t good. My grades were ABC and I’ve heard that law firms will only take you if you have AAB. I’m planning to resit whilst at uni would that be possible? Would it be best to resit it in my first year?
Original post by laila.04
I’m going to be doing LLB law at uni I got into Leicester through clearing as my alevels weren’t good. My grades were ABC and I’ve heard that law firms will only take you if you have AAB. I’m planning to resit whilst at uni would that be possible? Would it be best to resit it in my first year?

Hi there,

For what its worth, in my experience doing a law degree followed by looking for a training contract to become a solicitor, not one law firm has asked what my A level grades were!

There is a general feel within the legal sector (an ever-growing one at that) that having even a high-class law degree these days doesn't guarantee success as everyone looking for lawyer traineeships has a degree, it is the standard. Therefore, many law firms don't even ask what degree classification/grade you achieved as long as it is above a minimum level required for applications (firm dependent).

In my experience I have not encountered anyone who decided to resit A levels once at university. As you have achieved a place at university for Law, even if via clearing, you have shown you are capable of studying the subject at degree level. You wouldn't have been accepted to the course otherwise!

The difference between A level to Degree is fairly noticeable and so there is every chance that if A levels didn't suit you then Degree-work might! I wouldn't worry too much about your previous grades now as you will likely find that no one asks much of them once you are already in your next stage of education.

Also, if it counts for anything, I think your grades are really quite fab and a really admirable attempt at what are very challenging exams! You have every chance of finding real success at university and beyond :smile:

I hope this is reassuring for you! Please feel free to ask any further questions if you'd like to know more.

Leah :smile:
UEA Law
Reply 16
I have been told that law firms look for AAB minimum. I got A*BC would this still be considered?
Reply 17
Am I right in thinking that most law firms accept Russel group unis as most students end up achieving 2:1 or above due to people at Russel group unis bieng more academically advanced
Original post by LawStudent456
Just been told off on TSR💀. Why don’t you give a detailed answer if you’re that bothered mate.

Russell group better uni. ‘Oh but Russell Group is just a marketing gimmick with self elected members’. Yes that’s true, but it doesn’t change the fact that they are still the best unis.

Law with business, like with a straight law degree, means you can skip any conversion course you may have to do if you are looking to be a solicitor.

Thanks for providing more detail.

I'll have to debunk your last statement however. A law with business course is only a qualifying law degree if it is an LLB (or is Oxford's BA Law course). However, this does not matter so much now with the changes to solicitor qualification - it is not necessary to study a qualifying law degree/conversion course to qualify via the SQE route: https://www.sra.org.uk/become-solicitor/sqe/
What do you mean by “law firms accept”?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending