The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level Mathematics Paper 1 (9MA0 01) - 6th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MedApplicantttt
my teachers and also maths channel youtubers have said that expect higher grade boundaries this year than 2019 as papers are becoming more accessible. 2019 had such low boundaries due to the difficulty of the paper, 2020/2021 don't count and last year was a one off. hope this helps :smile:

yh thanks, i lurked around on reddit and edexcel put out a statement basically saying, the exam will be easier but grade bounderies will be higher
the theory is like 60-65% opposed to 55%
Original post by study1234okay
you should always aim for A* but if its affecting you mentally or taking your time away from other subjects then an A is more than enough, completely depends on your uni offer tho

i think just aiming for your offer is good, or maybe the grade above, as long as your in the mid to upper band of the grade youre good
my teachers and also maths channel youtubers have said that expect higher grade boundaries this year than 2019 as papers are becoming more accessible. 2019 had such low boundaries due to the difficulty of the paper, 2020/2021 don't count and last year was a one off. hope this helps :smile:

do you think theyd be similar to the 2018 grade boundaries then?
do you think theyd be similar to the 2018 grade boundaries then?

yeah, i'd say around there or a few marks more.
Original post by bigplongus
yh thanks, i lurked around on reddit and edexcel put out a statement basically saying, the exam will be easier but grade bounderies will be higher

would 60 to 65% be for an A or a B
would 60 to 65% be for an A or a B

A.
Reply 46
After doing the Physics Paper 1 yesterday, I'm feeling quite happy to sit and do some equations in Maths :biggrin:. Although, I need to work on integration a bit more. How is everyone else feeling?
modelling stuff always catches me out but i alreayd brushed up on integration so i think im good on that

Original post by annipops
After doing the Physics Paper 1 yesterday, I'm feeling quite happy to sit and do some equations in Maths :biggrin:. Although, I need to work on integration a bit more. How is everyone else feeling?
What percentage would a b be for maths in all our mocks a B was around 50% but not sure what grade boundaries they were following and what the boundaries will be like for the exam . Would 50% roughly be a b or c
Reply 49
Original post by malaikax04
What percentage would a b be for maths in all our mocks a B was around 50% but not sure what grade boundaries they were following and what the boundaries will be like for the exam . Would 50% roughly be a b or c

In 2019, the grade boundary for a B was 45% and a C was 34%. However, in 2018 a B was 52% and a C was 42%. It really depends on what Edexcel are feeling like this year, but if you do past papers then you'll know which year you've done and can base it off of that year.
Reply 50
Original post by annipops

I was feeling similar, the physics paper yesterday was nice.
The big thing worrying me now though is how the further maths paper today was. The as paper for pure seemed okay though, nothing too bad on it

If its going to be anything like the Further Maths paper 1, then I would argue it could be lower or similar to 2019. Of course, we don't know the difficulty but FM 01 gives us something to base off of.
what papers in the madasmaths website are most corresponding with our paper? could someone link to an example or smth? there are a lot of papers on that website
Reply 53
Original post by genghiskhan2
what papers in the madasmaths website are most corresponding with our paper? could someone link to an example or smth? there are a lot of papers on that website

papers A-R usually, anything past that is usually too hard for A Level
Original post by ate3

on this section? https://www.madasmaths.com/archive_iygb_practice_papers_mp1_practice_papers.html
Reply 55
Original post by ate3

Thank you, do you know like what part of the website tho, there are loads like MP1, MP2, FP1-4, SYN, MMS
https://madasmaths.com
Reply 56
Original post by pk04
I'm out of past papers, is doing mad as maths actually useful? I've seen differing opinions on it. I'm aiming for an A/A*

Have you done all the mock sets written by edexcel for maths, have you done the sample assessment paper or the specimen paper.
Reply 57
Original post by M1_Z
Have you done all the mock sets written by edexcel for maths, have you done the sample assessment paper or the specimen paper.

yeah i've done them all
Reply 58
Original post by bigplongus

I doubt that cos ofqual said students on a A in 2019 would be protected in 2023. This means that grade statistics for us will be based on the statistics from 2019, so 40% of candidates got an A in 2019 and around 40% of candidates will get an A this year. In terms of grade boundaries I think it'll be around 55 plus/minus 3, as protecting students means very similar grade boundaries, yet it all depends on how the nation does on our paper, so you gotta be top 40% to crack an A.

Heres stats from 2019
Reply 59
Original post by pk04
yeah i've done them

Damnn thats like 25+, ive only got mock set 4 left but im gonna do that next week cos I'm hoping our exam is going to be similar to that. Have you done shadow set papers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending