The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level Mathematics Paper 1 (9MA0 01) - 6th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by M1_Z
Damnn thats like 25+, ive only got mock set 4 left but im gonna do that next week cos I'm hoping our exam is going to be similar to that. Have you done shadow set papers?

where do you find these?
Original post by ate3
How many past papers is everyone trying to go through for maths? I want to try and get through anything but i feel like i dont have enough time with other subjects to revise for as well

I’m hoping to burn through as many papers as I own, which isn’t that many, unfortunately. At this stage, it’ll be a pattern of paper, then questions for weak areas. Has definitely fixed my issues with trig and integration :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by m184
where do you find these?

The mock set papers are locked, you have to get your teacher to give them to you. The rest can be found on the edexcel website.

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/mathematics-2017.coursematerials.html#%2FfilterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FExam-materials
Reply 63
Original post by pk04
The mock set papers are locked, you have to get your teacher to give them to you. The rest can be found on the edexcel website.

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/mathematics-2017.coursematerials.html#%2FfilterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FExam-materials

ohhh okay i think my school gave us the locked ones last week, thanks!
Reply 64
Is mock set 4 designed to me similar to how this years paper will be, similar topics and stuff? Is that how the mock sets work?
Reply 65
Original post by callumparsons
Omg this is scary

Anyone have any predictions for Paper 1?
Reply 67
Original post by tomato123g
Thank you, do you know like what part of the website tho, there are loads like MP1, MP2, FP1-4, SYN, MMS
https://madasmaths.com

MP1 and MP2 is like papers 1 and 2. SYN is basically just synoptic papers, so again like papers 1 and 2. FP papers are for further maths, MMS is not relevant to a level
Reply 68
are the edexcel IAL C34 papers same standard as normal papers or are they harder? is it worth doing them
anyone have any suggestions on what questions to do for practice? I know the past papers on physics and maths tutor but any others?
Reply 70
Original post by bigplongus
yh thanks, i lurked around on reddit and edexcel put out a statement basically saying, the exam will be easier but grade bounderies will be higher
the theory is like 60-65% opposed to 55%

No they didn't ...
Reply 71
Original post by genghiskhan2
what papers in the madasmaths website are most corresponding with our paper? could someone link to an example or smth? there are a lot of papers on that website

They are all out of date - avoid
(Original post by bigplongus)
yh thanks, i lurked around on reddit and edexcel put out a statement basically saying, the exam will be easier but grade bounderies will be higher

how could they go from 55% to 65%
Reply 73
guys no one knows what the grade boundaries will be as someone said before. yes they might be close to 2019 but there’s no guarantee, it’s all dependent on how our cohort perform relative to each other. the top 40% in our cohort may score much differently to the top 40% in 2019
Reply 74
Original post by Muttley79
They are all out of date - avoid

the papers aren't all that bad. I would only use them after you have done all the real edexcel ones but some of the questions are quite good regardless. The reason a lot of them seem outdated is because Dr Trifon Madas (the guy who made the site) sadly passed away. But i think he had updated a few of the papers to match the current spec. RIP Dr Madas forever a legend
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Muttley79
No they didn't ...

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/Teaching%20and%20learning%20materials/question-paper-improvements-guide.pdf

the official statement saying theyre making the papers easier than previous papers, i think they either made it in 2021 or 2022 either way it will be in full effect this year, no?

the theory is the grade boundaries will go up as compared to previous papers, since the papers are suppose to be more accessible

Original post by B7861
(Original post by bigplongus)

how could they go from 55% to 65%

in 2018 an A was 61% and in 2019 it was 55%, thats a big change since there wasnt any big events like COVID or changes in the papers
Reply 76
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/Teaching%20and%20learning%20materials/question-paper-improvements-guide.pdf

the official statement saying theyre making the papers easier than previous papers, i think they either made it in 2021 or 2022 either way it will be in full effect this year, no?

the theory is the grade boundaries will go up as compared to previous papers, since the papers are suppose to be more accessible

in 2018 an A was 61% and in 2019 it was 55%, thats a big change since there wasnt any big events like COVID or changes in the papers

yeh i feel like the boundaries will be similar too 2018, think the reason is was low in 2019 because of the fact the exam was harder
Reply 77

that statement doesnt in any way say that the papers will be easier though. I've read through it and all it is suggesting to is the fact that after the negative feedback they received from the papers in 2019, they took steps to design papers in a way that will allow students to 1) try and understand the question more by splitting up questions into more sections (so papers will include more 1a,1b,1c ... etc as a part of the question) and 2) try and reduce the number of questions that are locked away (meaning in order to get full marks on a question you would have to answer part (a) for example correctly)

None of this alludes to the fact that the papers will be easier or grade boundaries changing so significantly as suggested. This report was published in march of 2020, meaning any changes to this sort should have affected the papers after this, however the 2020 onwards papers still had grade boundaries of A between 52 and 55%.
Reply 78

In 2018 only people completing the new spec in a year sat the paper and 2019 was the first full sitting - you cannot interpret anything from that.
Reply 79
Original post by helloavs
yeh i feel like the boundaries will be similar too 2018, think the reason is was low in 2019 because of the fact the exam was harder

No it was the first sitting of the new spec by people taking a two year course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending