The Student Room Group

Macbook vs Chromebook

HI,
I currently have a Chromebook (200£) which works fine. The reason the 'laptop' is so cheap is that it functions much like a mobile with no desktop etc. Despite Macbooks being 1000£+, everyone seems to have one. Are they really worth it ?
Reply 1
Original post by beigegoldfish46
HI,
I currently have a Chromebook (200£) which works fine. The reason the 'laptop' is so cheap is that it functions much like a mobile with no desktop etc. Despite Macbooks being 1000£+, everyone seems to have one. Are they really worth it ?

Not really known that many people to have a Macbook, but in my opinion they're completely not worth it unless you need processing power or the prestige haha. I get what you mean about chromebooks not being that great for general use, but depending on what you're using it for you can pick up a really good laptop from around £300 pound, or less if you get refurbished/sacrifice memory or graphics. Those would run windows and be able to do a lot more than a chromebook. So yeah, would definitely say that (dependent on use) Macbooks are not worth it, their are loads of options out there that are just as/nearly as good, but cheaper.

Hope that helps!
Yep I'm pretty sure everyone has them just because they are apple and quite small. Definitely not worth the money, they break easily and there is a bunch of stuff/apps you can do with them
Portable computers are tools for a job.

If you've used Apple computers before, stick with MacBooks. For you the price of a MacBook will be worth it.
If you've used Windows before get a Windows laptop. For most users a sub £200 used premium business laptop is worth it.
If you're a techie person or will be studying Computer Science, get a Windows laptop and install Linux on it.

Chromebooks, I can't see as ever being worth it. Not when you can buy sub £200 used premium business laptops.

What most of your peers have brought and what would be optimum for you to buy are often 2 separate things. Not just with laptops but with so many other things in life.
Most people have no idea how good a used laptop you can buy for £165. Which is fine as it keeps prices down for those in the know.
a £200 Chromebook :eek::K::redface:hdear:
Reply 5
ultimately whatever works for you and is affordable is best, personally I have a MacBook Air (bought in September) and its been one of the best things ive ever bought I use it for absolutely everything and im personally so used to apple anyway, but equally plenty of other laptops can do the same
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Portable computers are tools for a job.

If you've used Apple computers before, stick with MacBooks. For you the price of a MacBook will be worth it.
If you've used Windows before get a Windows laptop. For most users a sub £200 used premium business laptop is worth it.
If you're a techie person or will be studying Computer Science, get a Windows laptop and install Linux on it.

Chromebooks, I can't see as ever being worth it. Not when you can buy sub £200 used premium business laptops.

What most of your peers have brought and what would be optimum for you to buy are often 2 separate things. Not just with laptops but with so many other things in life.
Most people have no idea how good a used laptop you can buy for £165. Which is fine as it keeps prices down for those in the know.

i had a thread where i question the purpose of chromebooks.

but now i own one not because i use it for my important task, bought a used one for dirty cheap price and use it to access my home server from my bed lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending