The Student Room Group

Best uni laptop

hiya im starting uni in September and Im currently looking for a new laptop but to be completely honest have no idea what im looking for ( what i do and dont need) any recommendations are veryyyy welcome!! thank you :smile: xxx
I have a MacBook Air 2020. It is light, and have had it for two and a half years. It should last for several years even post university.

I'm a Psychology student and so far have had no problem accessing packages that are related to my course.

I also have a separate iPad 9th gen which I use for taking notes in lectures. I have a magic keyboard too, so it acts like a laptop, except is lighter and I can put it in a smaller bag.

Of course, budgets are important and they can get very expensive. Apple usually do student discounts and special offers around freshers, so don't jump the gun and wait until your first student loan comes in is my suggestion.

I can't really recommend other laptops but your budget and your needs will also be depending on the course you plan on being on.

Hope this helps:h:
Reply 2
Original post by K8tee.i
hiya im starting uni in September and Im currently looking for a new laptop but to be completely honest have no idea what im looking for ( what i do and dont need) any recommendations are veryyyy welcome!! thank you :smile: xxx

I’m studying English and education btw… I probably should have mentioned that
Original post by K8tee.i

Hey there @K8tee.i !

It kind of depends on what course you're doing to be honest. I was looking for a new laptop before I went to university but I do a creative Media degree so needed a laptop that would be able to handle all the Adobe software on it with a lot of memory space. I also needed a HDMI port and an SD card slot for my photography and presentations but not everyone would need this. I ended up with a MacBook Pro 2021 which I don't regret splurging on at all. I've always been on Windows but now I've switched to Mac, I won't go back to Windows. This doesn't mean you NEED Mac software, it just helps me for the degree I'm doing. If it's just taking notes you're looking for, I'd recommend almost any laptop to be honest. It just needs to be able to connect to the internet. If you want something quite compact and easy to fit in your bag, laptops like Chromebooks and the newest HPs would be ideal for you. If you wanted to get a MacBook Air, they're also quite compact. Mine isn't compact because I have the SD Card and HDMI slot so if your laptop you're looking at has these features then it won't be thin. If you splurge on a newer one, it's probably more likely to last longer.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 4
Hi, do you reckon MacBook pro 2018 256gb is good enough to last 5 years of University? xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending