The Student Room Group

I have no friends, lonely at the age of 20

I've never written anything like this. I'm a 20 year old male, not ugly but not 10/10. a fine line inbetween (i think). I'm currently studying Law at a good uni, going into my final year. I currently do not enjoy the course at all and dropping out is not an option but my issue is, i have 0 friends and never had a girlfriend either. as virgin as olive oil. I'd like to think i have a good personality and can hold a conversation well. I've lurked these forums and people always tell people in my position to go to clubs at uni but in my case, I don't really have hobbies and the society regarding my course doesn't really interest me because i stupidly started a course in uni that i don't enjoy, it wouldnt make sense to join a law society for me.

I don't know what to do and quite honestly, i'm bored of sitting in my room all day by myself, i'd like friends and potentially even a girlfriend just so i can say i experienced it, and decide pursuing that, is for me or not.

thank you for reading
Reply 1
i mean you should engage in hobbies, i mean you really dont have any interests? like playing certain games? or listening to certain genres of music? or watching a certain genre of tv or movies? or a task like paintina or writing or even types of excercise?
Reply 2
I'm sorry to hear this, but honestly I feel like one of the things that has really impacted your number of friendships is because you started uni when covid was in it's starting phase, so you haven't had the chance to make as many friends and gotten to know people on your course. I can understand this because my friend has the same situation, I've known her since yr 7 but at uni she only has 1 friend, but whilst I started after a gap year - I had more opportunity to meet others and have a lot more friends on the course. It's definitely not a 'you' thing, but you do need to be more open to trying new things.

You've mentioned that you stay in your room all day, but if you tried going for things like getting a part time job, joining the gym or joining a hobby society (sports, arts etc). By doing things like these you would be meeting new people on a regular basis and would be able to grow your social circle. It would also be good to go to events at uni or for things you're interested in - but definitely try new things and experiences - you'll make good memories and hopefully some good new friends! :smile: You could also check out any trips your uni is doing or even try some volunteering, try sitting with new people or even join study groups - there are so many things that can be done, but don't stress over things too much, at this age it is normal not to have many friendships because everyone is all over the place trying to figure out what to do with life, especially at our age. I hope my advice was somewhat useful and hopefully you'll meet some new people :smile: good luck
Reply 3
mate I'm I'm the same situation as you. I'm 20 just finished my second year about to go into my final year. I have no real/ close friends. I attended many societies at university but gave up because it was too inconsistent. put it this way it is a really bad uni. I literally stay in my room all day doing nothing. To be honest I think I'm exactly the same as you. I completely understand you. I'm also looking for advice too.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
mate I'm I'm the same situation as you. I'm 20 just finished my second year about to go into my final year. I have no real/ close friends. I attended many societies at university but gave up because it was too inconsistent. put it this way it is a really bad uni. I literally stay in my room all day doing nothing. To be honest I think I'm exactly the same as you. I completely understand you. I'm also looking for advice too.

I fully get all of that, from what i'm understanding from what other's have experienced is that, it'll work itself out eventually, especially if you're putting yourself out there. good luck with your situation, hope you find some people to chill with bro
Reply 5
Original post by bigplongus
i mean you should engage in hobbies, i mean you really dont have any interests? like playing certain games? or listening to certain genres of music? or watching a certain genre of tv or movies? or a task like paintina or writing or even types of excercise?

I have this issue where i don't really enjoy doing things by myself, such as going to the cinema by myself. I've been considering going to concerts of artists i enjoy but going alone seems really daunting, especially for my first time
Reply 6
Original post by Bean_cat
I'm sorry to hear this, but honestly I feel like one of the things that has really impacted your number of friendships is because you started uni when covid was in it's starting phase, so you haven't had the chance to make as many friends and gotten to know people on your course. I can understand this because my friend has the same situation, I've known her since yr 7 but at uni she only has 1 friend, but whilst I started after a gap year - I had more opportunity to meet others and have a lot more friends on the course. It's definitely not a 'you' thing, but you do need to be more open to trying new things.

You've mentioned that you stay in your room all day, but if you tried going for things like getting a part time job, joining the gym or joining a hobby society (sports, arts etc). By doing things like these you would be meeting new people on a regular basis and would be able to grow your social circle. It would also be good to go to events at uni or for things you're interested in - but definitely try new things and experiences - you'll make good memories and hopefully some good new friends! :smile: You could also check out any trips your uni is doing or even try some volunteering, try sitting with new people or even join study groups - there are so many things that can be done, but don't stress over things too much, at this age it is normal not to have many friendships because everyone is all over the place trying to figure out what to do with life, especially at our age. I hope my advice was somewhat useful and hopefully you'll meet some new people :smile: good luck

I intend to get a part time job as well as start going to the gym after my exams are over in a few weeks time in the hopes that could help, as well as, extra side cash never hurt. Maybe I do need to step out of my 'comfort' zone, i don't have a hard time doing that and adapting because i'm usually the one who will make a classroom start talking if it was entirely quiet. At my Uni, there aren't really any clubs that interest me on what i like doing which is partly my fault for choosing a degree that i didnt enjoy to 'impress' my family. I'll try my best to be apart of a study group especially in my final year, thank you for your advice
Reply 7
Original post by Uniguy1234
I have this issue where i don't really enjoy doing things by myself, such as going to the cinema by myself. I've been considering going to concerts of artists i enjoy but going alone seems really daunting, especially for my first time

i mean going to the movies or concerts are group things but i get doing things by yourself can be dull, ive been playing games and doing stuff by myself since i can remember maybe thats why i dont really care, what do you do in your free time then? like if youre not studying what would you do?
Reply 8
i mean going to the movies or concerts are group things but i get doing things by yourself can be dull, ive been playing games and doing stuff by myself since i can remember maybe thats why i dont really care, what do you do in your free time then? like if youre not studying what would you do?

honestly just watching true crime youtube videos or playing games on my pc, not much variety to it, thats pretty much it every day.
I've never written anything like this. I'm a 20 year old male, not ugly but not 10/10. a fine line inbetween (i think). I'm currently studying Law at a good uni, going into my final year. I currently do not enjoy the course at all and dropping out is not an option but my issue is, i have 0 friends and never had a girlfriend either. as virgin as olive oil. I'd like to think i have a good personality and can hold a conversation well. I've lurked these forums and people always tell people in my position to go to clubs at uni but in my case, I don't really have hobbies and the society regarding my course doesn't really interest me because i stupidly started a course in uni that i don't enjoy, it wouldnt make sense to join a law society for me.

I don't know what to do and quite honestly, i'm bored of sitting in my room all day by myself, i'd like friends and potentially even a girlfriend just so i can say i experienced it, and decide pursuing that, is for me or not.

thank you for reading

Hi, same here. I am trying to understad why... do you have any idea for you? are you shy, introvert ? or maybe social axiety?
honestly just watching true crime youtube videos or playing games on my pc, not much variety to it, thats pretty much it every day.

i mean they can technically be classed as interests
did you have the same diificulty in secondary school or sixth form
Reply 11
Original post by realstudent19
Hi, same here. I am trying to understad why... do you have any idea for you? are you shy, introvert ? or maybe social axiety?

I'm not shy in most cases, I don't think i have social anxiety, I would usually be the initiator of a conversation regardless of who it is with. I'm not an introvert, I just don't have anywhere to go out so I'm by myself at home
Reply 12
i mean they can technically be classed as interests
did you have the same diificulty in secondary school or sixth form

My school and sixth form were combined and I had a lot of friends, I made the mistake of choosing to not go out when i had the friends to do it with, now i don't have that opportunity, all i want to do is go out with friends/girlfriend etc but i just don't enjoy doing things alone. since the pandemic, I don't really keep in contact with any of my friends from sixth form because we all kinda went on to do different things in different places, it'd just be really inconvenient for everyone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending