The Student Room Group

Would it be weird to live in halls at 20?

I am returning to university next year, starting a degree in a new city after a year out (travelling and working).

I just wonder if anyone would find it weird if I, next year, at 20 would be living in halls? Seeing as most people would be 18 or 19, I'm worried that staying in halls would mean I won't be able to make friends or that people would think bad about me.

What do you guys think?
I doubt most would care. Some unis, such as St Andrews, it isn't uncommon for people to stay in halls for their entire degree. You'll be fine.
Reply 2
Last year I was living with someone who had taken two gap years, after leaving school (so he was 20 when we started). Nobody was bothered really, people were just interested to know why he took two years out of studies, but that was it. It wasn't obvious or anything - considering some of us were 19 anyway, he was only a year older and just seemed the same age!
Reply 3
Original post by andrew_b43
I am returning to university next year, starting a degree in a new city after a year out (travelling and working).

I just wonder if anyone would find it weird if I, next year, at 20 would be living in halls? Seeing as most people would be 18 or 19, I'm worried that staying in halls would mean I won't be able to make friends or that people would think bad about me.

What do you guys think?

No
Reply 4
You're all adults, and age shouldn't really be an issue. Of course you'll encounter some 18/19 year olds who are figuring out how to live independently/ those who don't know common sense haha, but they'll still be decent people who need reminding sometimes of when to wash the dishes etc. I took a gap year before uni and landed up in a flat of majority 19/20 year olds so it really wasn't that big of an issue as I thought it would be!! (there were only two who hadn't taken a year out). Plus it can be easier to live in halls first year to get your bearings and meet new people in a new city without having to search for flatmates you don't know/ go through the stress of renting properly in your first year!

What do you guys think?

What do you guys think?

Hi @andrew_b43,

Living in halls is a great way to make friends! From my personal experience, I lived in halls for my first year when I had turned 18 but both my flat mates were older than me (19 & 21) at the time. They are both still my best friends and, we live in a shared house as we do our final years together.

You are never to old to make that first step as you’re in the same boat as everyone else starting that year, no matter the age. Allow yourself to ease into the whole experience again and you’ll be able to make friends along the way. Just remember to ask questions, get involved in conversations - either in communal areas or in passing, and try to find a common ground as your age isn’t the only thing you could have in common with these people.

Hope this helps and wishing you all the best,
Ellie
No it’s not weird

What do you guys think?

Hi there,
Definitely not! I stayed in university owned accommodation aged 20 and found it absolutely fine. I'd say it's more dependent on whether you click with your flatmates (and there's so many ways to befriend them) rather than how old you are.

If you're particularly concerned about that though and you'd rather stay with second or third years, you could look into alternative student housing like private student accommodations. These may be able to allocate you with students of a similar age, depending on availability.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
Reply 8
Shouldn't be weird at all, as you are basically still the same age still and I've met people who were in the same position as you and no one cared about it.

What do you guys think?

Hi,

As someone who moved into halls at the age of 20, I can guarantee you that 20 isn't too old to live in halls. I'm now in my 3rd year and still living in halls! I've lived with people of a wide variety of ages but most have been in their early-mid twenties. Halls is a great opportunity to live and get to know other students in your university and although there will be some 18/19 year olds, there will also be people of a similar age to you.

The girls I met in 1st year are now my best friends and we've lived together all 3 years. We're all close in age and all had a similar worry when moving into halls that we'd be the eldest there but that wasn't the case. Most universities try to group you with people of a similar age if possible.

I hope this is of some reassurance to you and that you have a great time living in halls!

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)

What do you guys think?

Hi there! 🙂

I would definitely say you'd be okay! I know of a mix of ages living in halls, including people 20+ and that had no issues making friends and meeting new people. I know a few friends have met people over 20 in their halls and have gone onto move in with them in second year.

It's a great way to get settled into uni, meet some friends, and a great accommodation option in general!

Best of luck at uni!

-Alfie, University of Plymouth Student Ambassador 😀
Reply 11
I lived in halls in my mid 30s haha
I stayed in halls at 21.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending