The Student Room Group

Feel like the family let down

I’m only 20 but I feel like the failure of the family- my sisters are twins- both 30. One has children and married and owns a house the other is about to get married, be a doctor and maybe have children. But I’ve just dropped out of uni and still don’t know what to do with my life- atm I’m thinking of applying for a different uni course and really want to live independently again.

It’s not an excuse but I’m gay and therefore my dating experience has been more limited because I didn’t come out until a year ago so never felt comfortable being openly gay with everyone. But yeah my sisters are settled and my life feels very sad atm- no social life since leaving uni just working and saving up some money.

Anyway- my mum just told me she’ll be leaving me all of her money when she passes (it’s on her will she’s just written) because my sisters are both settled and will be okay. My family worry about me a lot because I’m the baby sibling and very clueless atm. I feel grateful but also embarrassed that my mum thinks I’ll probably never make anything of myself. Idk maybe I should have my life more figured out at 20 but my friends seem to be the same, all single, all still depending on parents partially.

Should I be worried about where I am in life atm? My sisters even worry when it’s not their job to- they all say I can stay with them whenever etc. I just feel like they all pity me, same with friends- I suppose they’re being caring but I really want to be independent.

I’m feeling like this since hearing all of my childhood friends are in relationships and some even living with their partners in their own houses. My teenage/ uni friends are all single. I should add my childhood friends are heterosexual and dated boys in school etc, I just feel like my personal life and career life is really lame.

I’ve never been someone who just falls into relationships, I’ve tried looking for them- also tried not looking for one but it doesn’t happen for me. It’s like I’m not meant to be in a relationship? Idk sorry for such a long rant.

Any advice please
hey, your sisters may be settled but it sounds like you're forgetting that they're 10yrs older than you - that's a whole decade more of life experiences they have that you don't!! it makes no sense for anyone to expect you to be at the same stage in life as they are! and regardless, we all have our own lives with our own struggles and setbacks, it wouldn't make sense to compare your life to theurs at any stage bc we all have our own timelines.

you're 20, which neans you've only been a legal 'adult' for 2 years now - why would anyone expect you to have a house, a successful career and your own family at this point? so you dropped out of uni, big deal. better you realised that your course wasn't foe you and quit now rather than sticking out something you don't enjoy/want to do anymore just to be miserable and not look like a quitter. bc as long as you come up with a plan to bounce back soon and act on it, then you're not a quitter. i get that it's hard knowing what you want to do for the rest of your life at this age, it's a lot of unfair pressure but it doesnt HAVE to be that way. there's no rule saying you cant have a career change later down the line. just take some time to rest and recover then make moves and get your shii together. and if you're completely clueless as to what you want to do think about what brings you joy that you could make money from, what you could see yourself doing without getting bored of in 5 mins, and ask your parents/sisters for advice too! it sounds like they have their lives together and care for you so im sure they'd be happy to help you get an idea of what you wanna do and how you wanna do it.

as for relationships - dont focus on them right now. 1) your own wellbeing should come first and it doesnt sound like you're necessarily in the best if headspaces right now. 2) your education comes next. and 3) who cares if you're not in a relationship? ik it can be lonely being single, especially when people around you are all taken, but it'll happen when it happens. you cant rush these things - if you do you run the risk of potentially ending up in a toxic relationship that makes you more miserable. im not gay but if you're struggling to find others who are, even just to make friends, try go to pride events/clubs etc? ask any lgbt friends you may have if they can inteoduce you to theirs? even just making lgbt friends online and then meeting up in person (pls be safe tho!)

finally, ik this was long and possibly very waffley but if nothing else, i want you to know things do get better. im close in age to you and a year ago i was in a very similar position, to the point where i was getting quite depressed and wondering if i should j give up. i didnt, and now im here and enjoying life way more. things arent perfect and sometimes i still have depressive episodes but i can honestly say my life is a lot better and i am much happier when i stay working and not dwelling on the bad stuff. i hope you realise the same too one day, just keep trying :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
hey, your sisters may be settled but it sounds like you're forgetting that they're 10yrs older than you - that's a whole decade more of life experiences they have that you don't!! it makes no sense for anyone to expect you to be at the same stage in life as they are! and regardless, we all have our own lives with our own struggles and setbacks, it wouldn't make sense to compare your life to theurs at any stage bc we all have our own timelines.

you're 20, which neans you've only been a legal 'adult' for 2 years now - why would anyone expect you to have a house, a successful career and your own family at this point? so you dropped out of uni, big deal. better you realised that your course wasn't foe you and quit now rather than sticking out something you don't enjoy/want to do anymore just to be miserable and not look like a quitter. bc as long as you come up with a plan to bounce back soon and act on it, then you're not a quitter. i get that it's hard knowing what you want to do for the rest of your life at this age, it's a lot of unfair pressure but it doesnt HAVE to be that way. there's no rule saying you cant have a career change later down the line. just take some time to rest and recover then make moves and get your shii together. and if you're completely clueless as to what you want to do think about what brings you joy that you could make money from, what you could see yourself doing without getting bored of in 5 mins, and ask your parents/sisters for advice too! it sounds like they have their lives together and care for you so im sure they'd be happy to help you get an idea of what you wanna do and how you wanna do it.

as for relationships - dont focus on them right now. 1) your own wellbeing should come first and it doesnt sound like you're necessarily in the best if headspaces right now. 2) your education comes next. and 3) who cares if you're not in a relationship? ik it can be lonely being single, especially when people around you are all taken, but it'll happen when it happens. you cant rush these things - if you do you run the risk of potentially ending up in a toxic relationship that makes you more miserable. im not gay but if you're struggling to find others who are, even just to make friends, try go to pride events/clubs etc? ask any lgbt friends you may have if they can inteoduce you to theirs? even just making lgbt friends online and then meeting up in person (pls be safe tho!)

finally, ik this was long and possibly very waffley but if nothing else, i want you to know things do get better. im close in age to you and a year ago i was in a very similar position, to the point where i was getting quite depressed and wondering if i should j give up. i didnt, and now im here and enjoying life way more. things arent perfect and sometimes i still have depressive episodes but i can honestly say my life is a lot better and i am much happier when i stay working and not dwelling on the bad stuff. i hope you realise the same too one day, just keep trying :smile:

im so annoyed about all the typos lol, pls ignore as i typed this all out on my phone very quickly, hope it all makes sense anyways haha
It's somewhat normal to feel this way considering you have your sisters to look up to, but also you have to remember you are only 20. That is crazy young. Nobody has their life figured out at 20, I don't know your sisters but I doubt they had everything settled in their heads when they were your age, despite studies and such. Obviously could be wrong, but you could talk to them if you're close and get some advice from them too? But anyway, you are really not expected to be thinking about a family and a serious relationship at 20 if you don't want to or if it hasn't happened yet, barely anyone is at this age. You've got your whole life ahead of you, but it's also normal to feel this way being so young, don't think that you're alone!

Also the fact that your friends are on the same boat kind of shows you this experience is more common than you think!!!
Original post by Anonymous
I’m only 20 but I feel like the failure of the family- my sisters are twins- both 30. One has children and married and owns a house the other is about to get married, be a doctor and maybe have children. But I’ve just dropped out of uni and still don’t know what to do with my life- atm I’m thinking of applying for a different uni course and really want to live independently again.

It’s not an excuse but I’m gay and therefore my dating experience has been more limited because I didn’t come out until a year ago so never felt comfortable being openly gay with everyone. But yeah my sisters are settled and my life feels very sad atm- no social life since leaving uni just working and saving up some money.

Anyway- my mum just told me she’ll be leaving me all of her money when she passes (it’s on her will she’s just written) because my sisters are both settled and will be okay. My family worry about me a lot because I’m the baby sibling and very clueless atm. I feel grateful but also embarrassed that my mum thinks I’ll probably never make anything of myself. Idk maybe I should have my life more figured out at 20 but my friends seem to be the same, all single, all still depending on parents partially.

Should I be worried about where I am in life atm? My sisters even worry when it’s not their job to- they all say I can stay with them whenever etc. I just feel like they all pity me, same with friends- I suppose they’re being caring but I really want to be independent.

I’m feeling like this since hearing all of my childhood friends are in relationships and some even living with their partners in their own houses. My teenage/ uni friends are all single. I should add my childhood friends are heterosexual and dated boys in school etc, I just feel like my personal life and career life is really lame.

I’ve never been someone who just falls into relationships, I’ve tried looking for them- also tried not looking for one but it doesn’t happen for me. It’s like I’m not meant to be in a relationship? Idk sorry for such a long rant.

Any advice please

You're 20 you have years to decide what you want to do. You might be an adult, but there are many young adults your age who don't know what to do with their lives. It's really hard to figure out what you want, but you have time and as far as I'm concerned you aren't a failure. As you say, your sisters are in their 30s and have their lives set, this doesn't mean you won't or can't do the same-you're 10 years younger than them! Don't be concerned about being a uni dropout, you need to be concerned with relaxing and finding what you enjoy. Take the pressure off yourself and do what you want to do, have control over what you want and you will find your way!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending