The Student Room Group

Is Durham as prestigious as the London ones!”

post removed
(edited 11 months ago)
When you say, "My degree is useless", do you mean that any degree from Durham is useless because it doesn't have (in your opinion) the same prestige as "any of the London ones"? Which London-based universities are we talking about? UCL? LSE? King's?

If you feel that way about Durham, why did you apply there?
Durham is a top ten university, always has been. King's is not, no idea how you thought it was. LSE and UCL are very good though.
Nope, build networks with others and get experience. In the end employers don't really care about degree
"Prestige" is a really nebulous concept, and is difficult to quantify. It's normally associated with league table (which have many issues in themselves). I'd ignore what you overheard someone saying. If you're happy with Durham, and the rest of the world are happy with Durham (which all the evidence I've seen suggests that they are), then I don't think you have anything to worry about.

With regards to Politics and Philosophy specifically, which you seem to refer to as "a useless degree", this data from The Uni Guide shows that 89-92% of Politics and Philosophy graduates from Durham are "employed or in further education", with 69%-83% "employed in a role where degree was essential or beneficial". That doesn't sound useless to me. :smile:

(Those numbers are ranges, by the way, as The Uni Guide provided them separate for the Politics and Philosophy part of the joint honours.
Reply 5
If you're the same guy who worried about his Philosophy and Theology offer from Durham, then don't worry. Because you are worrying so much about future prospects that you won't get the A level results to get into Durham anyway.

Harsh but true. (If this is someone else, then I apologise, but still advise for now to concentrate on getting the best grades).
(edited 11 months ago)
Internationally no, Nationally yes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending