The Student Room Group

Is University of Bristol's Law School Good/Prestigious?

Hi, i'm from Singapore and got rejected from all 5 of my original UCAS choices and 1 extra choice. (LSE, KCL, UCL, Warwick, Durham and Nottingham for extra choice) In my despair, I picked Bristol for my 2nd extra choice without knowing anything about it.

Amazingly, I got an unconditional offer with ABBB grades (Singapore A'levels) and 33 LNAT. My biggest concern is that Bristol may not be a great enough uni to justify spending 200k++ SGD (150k or so pounds) and having to live as a poor college student for 3 years half a globe away from my home.

Maybe i'm ignorant but from what i've seen, Bristol seems to be a fairly average uni compared to the likes of oxbridge and my original 5 choices.

Can anyone enlighten me as to how Bristol Law is seen in the UK/internationally?
Original post by OwOBruvUwU
Hi, i'm from Singapore and got rejected from all 5 of my original UCAS choices and 1 extra choice. (LSE, KCL, UCL, Warwick, Durham and Nottingham for extra choice) In my despair, I picked Bristol for my 2nd extra choice without knowing anything about it.

Amazingly, I got an unconditional offer with ABBB grades (Singapore A'levels) and 33 LNAT. My biggest concern is that Bristol may not be a great enough uni to justify spending 200k++ SGD (150k or so pounds) and having to live as a poor college student for 3 years half a globe away from my home.

Maybe i'm ignorant but from what i've seen, Bristol seems to be a fairly average uni compared to the likes of oxbridge and my original 5 choices.

Can anyone enlighten me as to how Bristol Law is seen in the UK/internationally?

In the UK I would say it is considered as good as Warwick and Nottingham and very marginally below Durham and the top London unis. As to whether it is worth 150k to you or how the uni is perceived in Singapore, I have no idea
Original post by harrysbar
In the UK I would say it is considered as good as Warwick and Nottingham and very marginally below Durham and the top London unis. As to whether it is worth 150k to you or how the uni is perceived in Singapore, I have no idea

Bristol is sufficient even to make it into a magic circle firm, but it ultimately comes down to you as a candidate. Bristol in global rankings does pretty well, better than it does in domestic rankings. Most RGs are of a similar quality in what's actually delivered. LSE or KCL might have a bit more mystique, but practically you'll get the same kind of education. If your worried about the cost, i wouldn't suggest it though. Maybe somewhere in Asia, think of your parents finances... Are they pandemic proof? What kind of economy are we heading into. We could be in for a depression. If a vaccine isn't discovered etc. I'm not trying to scare you, but do make sure your finances are right in these times.
Reply 3

Ostensibly, they are all the same as far quality and value for money. You are from Singapore, and will be paying full freight in the time of COVID-19, as it were, so I suspect that would have to be calculated into your offer from Univ. Of Bristol.

In full disclosure, I am a Bristol Grad, and I for the life of me can't understand or comprehend how anyone can qualify it as being any less prestigious than all save Oxbridge. Exeter, Durham, UCL, Manchester degrees will all get you where you want to go, save maybe some entry level position at a few US Firms who have all have a very small intake.

On balance, its your grades and application that will make or break your success. So take this whole prestige thing with a healthy grain of salt. Durham is no more prestigious, just as Exeter (et al) is no less prestigious, anybody who blathers on about it, is ill-informed.

Lastly, what have you seen to make you say Bristol is average compared to your 5 choices. And perhaps you should not consider attending it, if you feel so maligned.

Original post by harrysbar

I would agree with the above that Bristol is on par with Warwick, Nottingham etc and marginally below Durham and the top London unis. In terms of careers, Bristol is a great shout - firms regularly visit and host a number of formal and informal events and the law society goes to a lot of effort to arrange Open Days for members. I would say Bristol slightly tips the balance it in terms of careers compared to Durham as I've heard firms aren't as enthusiastic to travel the distance for informal networking events on campus etc. Although Bristol won't provide as many opportunities as London (just due to the distance), it's only 1hr40 to London by train (with the new rail link hopefully being quicker) or a £5 coach, so you should be able to attend the same events relatively easily. I'm a current Bristol student and a future MC trainee and I'd say there's at least one future trainee for each of the MC firms and top American firms - I interviewed at 3 MC firms and several US/other city firms, so I personally wouldn't say you're at a disadvantage at all.

Feel free to PM me with any more Q's about Bristol Law/careers!

I am not sure what you chose but law at Bristol is better than Warwick and Nottingham for sure and just behind Durham / London
This might reassure? - https://www.bristol.ac.uk/law/news/2022/qs-subject-rankings-top-100-law.html

What made you pick Bristol, you must have known something to add it to your list?

FWIW its a lovely city and a lovely Uni
Original post by sami1815
I am not sure what you chose but law at Bristol is better than Warwick and Nottingham for sure and just behind Durham / London

I agree with that. It probably goes, Oxbridge, decently big gap, LSE/UCL, then followed closely by KCL, Durham, and Bristol in the same band (probably in that order)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending