The Student Room Group

De Montfort or Leeds Beckett? (architecture)

I’ve been to two open days at each uni have had offers from both and I can’t decide which to go to. I’ll be living at home either way for at least the first year so I’m not too bothered about the cities or accommodation but if anyone has any advice or experiences about either Uni especially about the architecture course or student support that would be a massive help. Thank you!
Original post by siennaka
I’ve been to two open days at each uni have had offers from both and I can’t decide which to go to. I’ll be living at home either way for at least the first year so I’m not too bothered about the cities or accommodation but if anyone has any advice or experiences about either Uni especially about the architecture course or student support that would be a massive help. Thank you!

Given that Leeds Beckett and De Montfort are about a two-hour drive from each other, yet you say "I’ll be living at home either way", that sounds like you're based somewhere midway between the two. I assume you're sure the door-to-door commute is viable?

I know very little about either university (and even less about their Architecture course), but based upon the data on The Uni Guide, I'd go with Leeds Beckett.

From the National Students Survey of final year Architecture students at Leeds Beckett:

Leeds Beckett - Architecture - NSS.JPG

From the National Students Survey of final year Architecture students at De Montfort:

De Montfort - Architecture - NSS.JPG

From HESA (Higher Education Statistics agency) for Architecture students at Leeds Beckett:

Leeds Beckett - Architecture - HESA.JPG

From HESA (Higher Education Statistics agency) for Architecture students at De Montfort:

De Montfort - Architecture - HESA.JPG

That first year drop-out rate at De Montfort is particularly worrying.

You can see all the data here for Leeds Beckett and here for De Montfort.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Given that Leeds Beckett and De Montfort are about a two-hour drive from each other, yet you say "I’ll be living at home either way", that sounds like you're based somewhere midway between the two. I assume you're sure the door-to-door commute is viable?

I know very little about either university (and even less about their Architecture course), but based upon the data on The Uni Guide, I'd go with Leeds Beckett.

From the National Students Survey of final year Architecture students at Leeds Beckett:

Leeds Beckett - Architecture - NSS.JPG

From the National Students Survey of final year Architecture students at De Montfort:

De Montfort - Architecture - NSS.JPG

From HESA (Higher Education Statistics agency) for Architecture students at Leeds Beckett:

Leeds Beckett - Architecture - HESA.JPG

From HESA (Higher Education Statistics agency) for Architecture students at De Montfort:

De Montfort - Architecture - HESA.JPG

That first year drop-out rate at De Montfort is particularly worrying.

You can see all the data here for Leeds Beckett and here for De Montfort.

Thank you very much for your advice, I do live between the two and I have travelled the routes I would be taking to commute. I will definitely take these into consideration, although at the open day I attended at LBU, a first year student said that her year had gone from 120 to around 45 left, which is a much larger drop out rate for this year. Thank you very much.
Original post by siennaka
Thank you very much for your advice, I do live between the two and I have travelled the routes I would be taking to commute. I will definitely take these into consideration, although at the open day I attended at LBU, a first year student said that her year had gone from 120 to around 45 left, which is a much larger drop out rate for this year. Thank you very much.

Wow! They had 75 students (62.5% of the cohort) drop out? Did you ask her why?
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Wow! They had 75 students (62.5% of the cohort) drop out? Did you ask her why?

Architecture has a high drop out rate anyway but she said some thought they could coast through the course without putting any effort in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending