The Student Room Group

charge for making payment on credit card

Is there a charge if I pay on my credit card? I have been told by the builder that there is a 4% to 5% charge for this.
Original post by Kutie Karen
Is there a charge if I pay on my credit card? I have been told by the builder that there is a 4% to 5% charge for this.

Some companies might charge. But it doesn't seem to happen often nowadays. When it's happened to me it's if I've a) used it abroad or b) I did get charged for buying travel money from Sainsbury's. Seems strange that a builder would charge extra. I'd clarify that with them.
Reply 2

Businesses that accept card payments have to pay transaction fees. The fees for credit card payments are higher than for debit card payments. (And smaller businesses have a lot less leeway to negotiate on fees than, for example, the large supermarket chains.)

https://startups.co.uk/payment-processing/credit-card-processing-fees/ claims that credit card transaction fees are 1.5% to 3.5%, and that debit card fees are 0.25% to 0.35%.

So it's very likely that your builder wants to pass on cost of the credit card transaction fee to you -- otherwise he/she will incur a significant additional cost that will eat into his/her profit margin.

If you want to pay by credit card to get the benefit of section 75 protection, note that you only have to pay some of the cost on a credit card, not the whole cost.
Reply 3
Original post by Emma:-)
When it's happened to me it's if I've a) used it abroad or b) I did get charged for buying travel money from Sainsbury's. Seems strange that a builder would charge extra. I'd clarify that with them.

That's a different scenario -- that's where the additional charge is levied directly on you by the card company. Kutie Karen's case is where it's the person/business that's accepting the card payment levying the additional charge.

When you use the card abroad, it's your card company charging a foreign transaction fee. When you buy travel money, it's the card company levying a cash-advance fee.
Reply 4

Credit card surcharges in the UK were banned by the Government 5 years ago. Definitely question the builder!

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/borrowing-money/credit-cards/the-costs-and-charges-of-credit-cards/
Reply 5
Original post by martin7
Businesses that accept card payments have to pay transaction fees. The fees for credit card payments are higher than for debit card payments. (And smaller businesses have a lot less leeway to negotiate on fees than, for example, the large supermarket chains.)

https://startups.co.uk/payment-processing/credit-card-processing-fees/ claims that credit card transaction fees are 1.5% to 3.5%, and that debit card fees are 0.25% to 0.35%.

So it's very likely that your builder wants to pass on cost of the credit card transaction fee to you -- otherwise he/she will incur a significant additional cost that will eat into his/her profit margin.

If you want to pay by credit card to get the benefit of section 75 protection, note that you only have to pay some of the cost on a credit card, not the whole cost.

Thanks that is the case. Are they allowed to pass it onto me? Yes also that I want the sectioin 75 protection. Is that available for home projects?
Reply 6
Thanks that is the case. Are they allowed to pass it onto me? Yes also that I want the sectioin 75 protection. Is that available for home projects?

As @Quady points out, credit card surcharges have been banned. (I did think this might be the case, but didn't mention it as I wasn't sure.)

If you point this out to the builder, they might just take the approach of refusing to accept payment by credit card at all. But you could take the approach of paying a small portion on the credit card (for the S75 protection) and pay the rest by some other means.

Re section 75 protection, see the relevant bit at https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumers/complaints-can-help/credit-borrowing-money/goods-services-bought-credit Key parts: it applies to services as well as goods; the cost needs to be over £100 (and less than £30,000); and you don't need to pay the whole amount by credit card, just some of it.
Reply 7
Original post by martin7
As @Quady points out, credit card surcharges have been banned. (I did think this might be the case, but didn't mention it as I wasn't sure.)

If you point this out to the builder, they might just take the approach of refusing to accept payment by credit card at all. But you could take the approach of paying a small portion on the credit card (for the S75 protection) and pay the rest by some other means.

Re section 75 protection, see the relevant bit at https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumers/complaints-can-help/credit-borrowing-money/goods-services-bought-credit Key parts: it applies to services as well as goods; the cost needs to be over £100 (and less than £30,000); and you don't need to pay the whole amount by credit card, just some of it.

Thanks. I think you are right and he will refuse if I raise this with him. Someone mentioned that home projects are not covered is that true?
What happens if it is over 30k does the first 30k get covered under section 75?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending