The Student Room Group

No Options for First Credit Card?

I've never had a need for a credit card before, but just in case, I wanted to start looking for some options. And I was surprised to find that with no credit history I have literally no options.

I used a multi-bank eligibility checker on this site to see what cards are available to me, only to get a whopping 0% chance on every card in the system. I tried on the sites of individual banks/lenders as well with similar results. On Barclaycard I also had no chances, Amex gave me a 3.5 out of 10 chance, and a solid No from CapitalOne. But why? Even Aqua gave me a solid no. I have no debt, no missed payments, no penalties, no credit obligations, I'm on the electoral roll, etc. So what is going on?
Original post by gh158
I've never had a need for a credit card before, but just in case, I wanted to start looking for some options. And I was surprised to find that with no credit history I have literally no options.

I used a multi-bank eligibility checker on this site to see what cards are available to me, only to get a whopping 0% chance on every card in the system. I tried on the sites of individual banks/lenders as well with similar results. On Barclaycard I also had no chances, Amex gave me a 3.5 out of 10 chance, and a solid No from CapitalOne. But why? Even Aqua gave me a solid no. I have no debt, no missed payments, no penalties, no credit obligations, I'm on the electoral roll, etc. So what is going on?

Do you have a regular income?
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
Do you have a regular income?

Yes.
Original post by gh158
Yes.

It might be worth joining the following:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub/

It is a trustworthy site and it will give you insights into why you may not be eligible for a credit card and what you need to do.
Reply 4
Original post by normaw
It might be worth joining the following:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub/

It is a trustworthy site and it will give you insights into why you may not be eligible for a credit card and what you need to do.

I did actually already make an account there to see if it could help or show me what's wrong, but sadly still nothing.
Reply 5
Original post by gh158

You could try the bank you have your current account with (assuming they offer a credit card). Your current bank can see how you're using your account, and can see the incomings and outgoings; so they have an advantage over other card companies who can only see what's on your (presumably very slim) credit report.
Original post by gh158

1. how old are you ?
2. do you have a regualr income?
3. are tyou a higher education student who hasa Student Current account ?
Reply 7
Instead of using a checker, why not apply direct?
Reply 8
Original post by InArduisFouette
1. how old are you ?
2. do you have a regualr income?
3. are tyou a higher education student who hasa Student Current account ?

I'm 21, do have income, and I just finished my undergrad, but I just have a standard current account I had for years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending