The Student Room Group

OCR A-level Sociology Paper 2 (H580/02) - 9th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bolajixoxo
same. Do you have any predictions for section A 25 marker?

My teacher said any types of the observations hasn't come up yet so it could be on that but I'm not sure on this one either. Not too worried tho since section A is quite logic based and you will do good as long as you understand the PET factors for all of the research methods
Original post by mtcarey
Has anyone got the link for the paper 3 exam chat, or has it not been made yet?

I can't find it either I don't think there is one for our 2023 paper yet rip
Reply 62
Original post by dhastie
Marxist explanations of ethnic inequality is predicted as a 40 marker but the 40 marker last year was Assess Marx's view on social class? My teacher thinks its likely that ethnicity will come up in either the 20 or 40 mark however New Right has never been asked before so could be 40 mark.

they would never ask new rights as a question
Reply 63
Original post by dhastie
Marxist explanations of ethnic inequality is predicted as a 40 marker but the 40 marker last year was Assess Marx's view on social class? My teacher thinks its likely that ethnicity will come up in either the 20 or 40 mark however New Right has never been asked before so could be 40 mark.

would be use the same studies as functionalism cuz i don’t have new right studies for ethnicity?
Reply 64
Original post by huhleema
would be use the same studies as functionalism cuz i don’t have new right studies for ethnicity?

I don't think they would ask New Right explanations for ethnic inequalities as that would be pretty difficult - more likely to be Outline and assess New Right arguments for inequality (in general), then talk about Murray, Saunders, Schlafly, Dennis etc.
Reply 65
Original post by josssebae
they would never ask new rights as a question

Why not, as it's on the OCR spec as Section B key question 2 (explanations for inequality) where every other explanation has been asked - directly or indirectly.
2018 - Functionalist
2019 - feminist/marxist
2021 - Weber
2022 - Marx.
Original post by dhastie
Why not, as it's on the OCR spec as Section B key question 2 (explanations for inequality) where every other explanation has been asked - directly or indirectly.
2018 - Functionalist
2019 - feminist/marxist
2021 - Weber
2022 - Marx.

if marx came up last year not likely it will come up this year right?
Reply 67
Original post by Ethereal001
if marx came up last year not likely it will come up this year right?

yeah very unlikely
Reply 68
then what could it be? i heard lots about marx on ethic inequality? but if not marx then what? could it possibly be feminism on inequality in general?

Original post by dhastie
yeah very unlikely
Reply 69
could it maybe be on functionalists on social class? only ever asked about functionalism on ethnic inequality so could that bw possible. and it was in 2018.
i feel like the 40 marker must be either: functionalism on social class, marxism on ethnic inequality or new right on inequality in general.
what are your thoughts?
Reply 70
Original post by irlw
could it maybe be on functionalists on social class? only ever asked about functionalism on ethnic inequality so could that bw possible. and it was in 2018.
i feel like the 40 marker must be either: functionalism on social class, marxism on ethnic inequality or new right on inequality in general.
what are your thoughts?

functionalism and social class were asked in 2017, 2018 was cultural theories on lack of assimilation of ethnic minorities, i literally have no clue bc i would’ve said marx on ethnicity as well but marx came up last year so that’s unlikely. do u think it’s likely the 20 marker could be on age again this year since it was last year there are way too many studies for age
Functionalism/New Right on gender inequality could be the 40 marker as it has never been asked before.
functionalism and social class were asked in 2017, 2018 was cultural theories on lack of assimilation of ethnic minorities, i literally have no clue bc i would’ve said marx on ethnicity as well but marx came up last year so that’s unlikely. do u think it’s likely the 20 marker could be on age again this year since it was last year there are way too many studies for age

Also that means they have asked the same theory two years in a row (functionalism for both 2017 & 2018), which means that it is still likely that if they ask about Marxism this year again.
Reply 73
not really sure theres that much to say on functionalism on gender tho? other than biological reasons
Original post by Tin Yu Pang
Functionalism/New Right on gender inequality could be the 40 marker as it has never been asked before.
Reply 74
theres never rlly been a question on how groups are advantaged do u think that come up as a 20 marker?
Reply 75
really not sure but seeing as its on social inequality i imagine they'd stick to how people are disadvantaged or affected. I could be wrong however. They could ask something in the lines of 'asses the view that some social classes have greater advantages in the woekplace etc'
what do others think?
tbh tho 20 markers are less of a worry for me and im trying to focus more on the 40 marker

theres never rlly been a question on how groups are advantaged do u think that come up as a 20 marker?
what are the chances that they ask about a specific type of inequality like health, workplace, education, etc? my teacher said i need to learn stats for at least 3 different types but i'm not sure if i should risk it.
also what about feminism for the 40 marker? i haven't seen anyone in here mention it and they haven't given a pure feminist theories question ever.
Reply 78
Original post by iamconfusionnn
what are the chances that they ask about a specific type of inequality like health, workplace, education, etc? my teacher said i need to learn stats for at least 3 different types but i'm not sure if i should risk it.

workplace is likely as it’s on the spec and they’ve asked it before but i don’t think they will on education and health, how many studies would u usually put for the 20 markers?
Original post by irlw
not really sure theres that much to say on functionalism on gender tho? other than biological reasons

I planned to talk about Parsons, Murdock's study on 200 societies, Human Capital Theory and Schafly from the New Right but yeah all of these are basically arguing about the same thing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending