The Student Room Group

OCR A-level Sociology Paper 2 (H580/02) - 9th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by huhleema
workplace is likely as it’s on the spec and they’ve asked it before but i don’t think they will on education and health, how many studies would u usually put for the 20 markers?

I've just learned 4 statistics for each of ethnicity, social class, gender and age haha I haven't really planned to use any studies for the 20 marker
Reply 81
what does human capital theory say?

Original post by Tin Yu Pang
I planned to talk about Parsons, Murdock's study on 200 societies, Human Capital Theory and Schafly from the New Right but yeah all of these are basically arguing about the same thing
Original post by irlw
what does human capital theory say?

Human capital means the knowledge, skills and competency embedded within an individual and functionalists argue that because men are more work oriented and committed to their jobs, they gain more human capital compared with women who prioritise caring for their family, so this explains why men and women are not rewarded equally.
(edited 10 months ago)
okay im in a dilemma. theres too much to learn and not enough time. how likely is it that questions that have come up before will come up again? I want to focus on topics that havent appeared before
Reply 84
a quixk way to narrow down things. They wont repeat the 40 and 20 markers from last year so you can at least rule those out.
Original post by Ethereal001
okay im in a dilemma. theres too much to learn and not enough time. how likely is it that questions that have come up before will come up again? I want to focus on topics that havent appeared before

id say try and go over as much as possible but definitely focus more on topics that haven't come up. i feel like they're being nice to us this year and gave us questions that we could easily predict.

they could always repeat a question but its unlikely. its safe to assume that they wont repeat a question/use specific topics and theories that were asked about last year as a minimum. what i'm doing is making plans for as many questions using broad studies/sociologists that i can apply to a range of questions and then just trying to memorize.
Reply 86
Original post by bolajixoxo
a quixk way to narrow down things. They wont repeat the 40 and 20 markers from last year so you can at least rule those out.

do you know what the 20 marker and 40 marker was for last year? :smile:
Reply 87
Outline ways that a person’s age may affect their opportunities in work and employment. [20]

Assess the view that Marx’s theory of social class is still relevant for understanding class inequalities in the UK today. [40]
Original post by kittycat2
Reply 88

20 marker was outlining how a persons age affects their opportunities in work and employment and 40 marker was assess the view marx’s theory on social class is still relevant in understanding class inequalities in the uk
honestly functionalism and gender inequalities wouldn't be that bad. as you said, you're basically repeating yourself in every paragraph but it makes it kind of easy...

Original post by Tin Yu Pang
Human capital means the knowledge, skills and competency embedded within an individual and functionalists argue that because men are more work oriented and committed to their jobs, they gain more human capital compared with women who prioritise caring for their family, so this explains why men and women are not rewarded equally.
Reply 90
Original post by iamconfusionnn
honestly functionalism and gender inequalities wouldn't be that bad. as you said, you're basically repeating yourself in every paragraph but it makes it kind of easy...

it’s not bad at all tbh cuz u just have to talk about concensus and how differences are biological and natural, it was my 20 marker in AS last year and seeing as it hasn’t come up for a2 and functionalism and gender haven’t come up in a while i’m praying it’s this one
Reply 91
can someone remind me of structure for 25 marker?
Reply 92
Original post by User10283472
Should we learn essay plans for questions which have already come up?

For the inequality 40m I was planning on not thoroughly going through questions which are already mentioned in previous past papers. Like functionalist views on ethnicity for instance. Maybe learn like one or two ao1 points from there to use as AO3 in my other essays but that’s it. Am I taking too big of a risk by not learning it in detail if it’s already come up?

Its a risky play buddy but its up to you!
Reply 93
what is the stucture of a 20 marker on inequalities?
Reply 94
Original post by abrown2005

sorry I cant remember either !
Reply 95
Original post by iamconfusionnn
my teacher said to do a brief introduction and then do 5/6 paragraphs evaluating the method. he used the accronym PERRV (Practicality, Ethics, etc) and said to do a paragraph on each aspect with a focus on reliability&validity. to maximize marks you also need to include at least one paragraph about a theory and state whether its favored by positivists or interpretivists and why.

this is false, very very false! you should do 4 paragraphs focusing on the 4 keywords!
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by abrown2005

The main body should be split into strengths and weaknesses that focus on 3 of the 4 keywords (validity, reliability, representativeness) and 2 main theories (positivism and interpretivism). These points must be supported by evidence from the source.

There should be a conclusion that considers the usefulness of the research method in relation to the research topic. Base this around the concept of generalisability. :smile:
Reply 97
Original post by nofailurever
The main body should be split into strengths and weaknesses that focus on 3 of the 4 keywords (validity, reliability, representativeness) and 2 main theories (positivism and interpretivism). These points must be supported by evidence from the source.

There should be a conclusion that considers the usefulness of the research method in relation to the research topic. Base this around the concept of generalisability. :smile:

Yes this is very correct everyone please dont fall for other peoples lies !
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 98

All past paper questions: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RM2NYzDqr_hJvfAJzjtKhUqKhIZ0sjSvDKHGgpzKDB0/edit?usp=sharing

What I do is just learn a paragraph about each theory on each inequality, then just link/word it to whatever the question is.
Reply 99
Original post by irlw
what is the stucture of a 20 marker on inequalities?

There is no 20 marker on inequailties that is the 40 marker, 20 marker will be on life chances ! make sure you revise carefully next time !!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending