The Student Room Group

King's or Queen Mary for Insurance Choice?

So I've heard back from all my unis (LSE took really long just to reject me) and I've decided I want to firm SOAS because I think the modules sound really interesting and I appreciate its multicultural and non-Western approach to global politics. I'm applying for International Relations.

My predicted grades are A*A*A*
SOAS has given me a contextual offer of ABB (standard is AAB)
KCL gave me a contextual offer of AAB (standard is A*AA)
Queen Mary gave me a contextual offer of BBB (standard is ABB)

I'm not sure whether to put QMUL or KCL for my ucas insurance choice. It would make sense to put QMUL because its a lower offer than my firm, moreover I prefer QMUL's IR course to King's. However the reputation and status of King's makes me want to put it for my insurance. It's modules aren't as favourable to me as QMUL's as they're quite security and conflict focused but it's a good course nonetheless and KCL's War Studies department as well as the uni's facilities are said to be really good. My predicted grades make it seem unlikely I'll ever have to worry about an Insurance choice but I still always worry I'll do worse than expected, despite getting all A*s in my mocks as well.
Original post by Pot8o
So I've heard back from all my unis (LSE took really long just to reject me) and I've decided I want to firm SOAS because I think the modules sound really interesting and I appreciate its multicultural and non-Western approach to global politics. I'm applying for International Relations.

I'm not sure whether to put QMUL or KCL for my ucas insurance choice. It would make sense to put QMUL because its a lower offer than my firm, moreover I prefer QMUL's IR course to King's. However the reputation and status of King's makes me want to put it for my insurance. It's modules aren't as favourable to me as QMUL's as they're quite security and conflict focused but it's a good course nonetheless and KCL's War Studies department as well as the uni's facilities are said to be really good. My predicted grades make it seem unlikely I'll ever have to worry about an Insurance choice but I still always worry I'll do worse than expected, despite getting all A*s in my mocks as well.

Let's imagine a scenario where you need to take advantage of your insurance choice. This would be if you achieved lower than the SOAS offer of ABB, agreed? So let's assume you achieved BBB and SOAS opted not to accept you as a "near miss" candidate. So you drop to your insurance offer of King's, who wanted AAB - so you're two grades below their offer grades. You're not really in "near miss" territory any more, and are quite likely to be simply dropped into Clearing. Is King's with that risk?

Using QMUL as your insurance choice seems like a much more sensible option to me. Of the two, it's the course you prefer - and the chance of needing to take advantage of your insurance offer sounds very slim anyway. Also, they'd automatically accept you at BBB.
Reply 2
How could LSE reject you on 3 A*s? Is this normal? What are the lowest grades you could apply to LSE to study Finance and Economics with? (Original post by Pot8o)So I've heard back from all my unis (LSE took really long just to reject me) and I've decided I want to firm SOAS because I think the modules sound really interesting and I appreciate its multicultural and non-Western approach to global politics. I'm applying for International Relations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending