The Student Room Group

MSc Artificial Intelligence - uni choice

Hi,

I currently hold 2 unconditional offers from; Queen Mary University and Southampton University, to study a masters in Artificial Intelligence.

I love London as a location and currently have a flat there (with family) so living wise it’s easy for me.

Southampton has a more prestigious name within Engineering and the course modules seem more in depth.

I like Queen Mary but worry that the course might not provide modules that are as useful as the ones at Southampton.

If anyone has any knowledge/experiences on either of the universities or the course itself, I would be grateful for your insight!

Just to add, I have also applied to Manchester university and Leeds university for the same AI course but also I applied to Nottingham for their computational neuroscience course but waiting to hear back from all of them.

To summarise, I’m trying to decide which university is best in terms of actual relevance to current AI application within the industry and in terms of teaching and likelihood of getting a job after completion.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Dopeye
Hi,

I currently hold 2 unconditional offers from; Queen Mary University and Southampton University, to study a masters in Artificial Intelligence.

I love London as a location and currently have a flat there (with family) so living wise it’s easy for me.

Southampton has a more prestigious name within Engineering and the course modules seem more in depth.

I like Queen Mary but worry that the course might not provide modules that are as useful as the ones at Southampton.

If anyone has any knowledge/experiences on either of the universities or the course itself, I would be grateful for your insight!

Just to add, I have also applied to Manchester university and Leeds university for the same AI course but also I applied to Nottingham for their computational neuroscience course but waiting to hear back from all of them.

To summarise, I’m trying to decide which university is best in terms of actual relevance to current AI application within the industry and in terms of teaching and likelihood of getting a job after completion.

I'm probably going to be extremely biased....but I've had experience with both universities....
Southampton Uni was my firm choice and I had many lovely visits and even did a pre-university Headstart course there, but I ended it up at my insurance which was Queen Mary to study Mechanical Engineering.
I absolutely hated my course at Queen Mary to the point that I had to switch universities after second year...

Bias aside, Queen Mary is a good university and AI is a branch of Computer Science rather than engineering. As far as I remember, CompSci was one of the stronger departments QM had/has. But Southampton is amazing and their lecturers are extremely accommodating and helpful, something that was lacking at QM and one of the many reasons I left...

To answer your question though, I think you need to ask yourself where you see yourself happier and where you see yourself getting more your money's worth. Southampton would be the obvious choice for me not just because of my experiences but because of the much better facilities, lecturers, research intensity and connections to industry.

Hope this helps and sorry if I made things worse :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Dopeye
Hi,

Heya! this may be a bit later, but do you mind sharing your overall bachelors GPA? I am also planning to apply to those universities but I am a bit worried that a 70% honours degree may not be enough

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending