The Student Room Group

N/A

….
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
I think you'll have to do some legwork here. Find as many human sciences degrees as possible (on the universities' own websites, you can't really trust anywhere else) and look at their entry requirements. If there was truly no chance of getting in without it they'd just make it a requirement as it makes their screening process so much easier (no Maths A-level? Reject for BSc Maths, done) so it's not impossible - but make sure to do the work now so you're not wasting your time later, or going too far down a path that would lock you out.
Reply 2
Hey, i also have the same concern I want to apply to the UCL HS course and take maths, economics and english lit and worry that not taking biology a level will disadvantage me heavily so I emailed the UCL admissions team and they said this Applicants who are studying Biology are considered more competitive, however, many candidates who have a different science subject are successful in receiving an offer.” , hope this helped : )
If you're not interested in the biology side, why not consider a degree in something like social anthropology?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by bamsa
Is there no point in applying to a human science degree if I don’t take biology at a level? Oxford and UCL either ‘prefer’ bio or say it is helpful (along with maths for Oxford). From what i’ve gathered, the degree is quite a broad mixture of disciplines such as psych and geo (which I currently do for a level), but I understand there are a lot of biological elements as well. My third a level is maths for reference, and UCL’s requirements are ‘one science subject’ (but really with the preference of bio). Therefore, do I really stand any chance of getting in without the biology a level, and in that case should I just opt for a different degree? Another option is that I could take up bio in year 13, and complete an AS in it (likely wouldn’t complete the full a level as I don’t want to stay an extra year). But I don’t know if that would hold any value.

Heya!
I believe if unis say they prefer bio then they would prefer candidates to have bio alvl :frown: You could still try to apply but not having bio might lower your chances against other canditates. You could take a gap year and do alvl biology, I would recommend talking to your teacher and see what can be done, unis would want a full alvl! You could use uniguide to research the course that doesn't specifically say they need bio.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study MInd

Quick Reply

Latest