The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

st andrews racism/classism

HELLLOOO

got an offer to study at st andrews but im a bit apprehensive as i’ve heard that racism and classism is prevalent (im black and quite poor) so i was wondering if this would be an issue ,
please can anyone lmk about their own experiences
Reply 1
Hi there

My daughter has just finished her first year at St Andrews. Not aware of any racism. The uni is predominantly white, as is the population of Scotland, but it's known for being a pretty friendly town and Uni. On classism, there are certainly some well off students and some of them at least seem to stick to their own cliques and expensive activities. But there are plenty of students on more modest budgets - getting by on student loans and holiday jobs. There's plenty of fun to be had without spending lots of money.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
I don't think you should be worried about any overt racism. Like anywhere, there could be some unintentional microaggressions. I think St Andrews is very tolerant, arguably a school in London would have a more diverse student body, but I think St Andrews is quite diverse, friendly and tolerant and don't think your daughter will have any issues.
Reply 3
Madras College kids may be racist towards you, their school is located next to the DRA hall and their kids walk into our premise pretty often.
There isnt much of an issue but there is a "secret society" called the Kate Kennedy Club which is essentially St Andrews version of Bullingdon Club. So avoid them unless you plan on becoming the next tory minister

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending