The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Is Durham University’s reputation true?

I am applying to Durham this year to study Geology. I am White, Southern, State Educated and lower-middle class at the most. I'm just curious if classism really exists or is it a great exaggeration?

Scroll to see replies

I am here now, yes it is. Holy ****, the amount of crap I heard coming out of a mothers mouth about bigging up their daughters' university place was cringe worthy. I would go elsewhere, I too avoided this advise and experiencing it first hand brings up that lovely hindsight. I have until Monday to maybe change my mind and have my tuition fee unaffected.

P.S. Do not take my opinion as 100% accurate, that would be silly and you should go to an open day etc. Just throwing out a rant, I do this a lot.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by StandorDeliver
I am applying to Durham this year to study Geology. I am White, Southern, State Educated and lower-middle class at the most. I'm just curious if classism really exists or is it a great exaggeration?

My daughter is a Fresher in Hatfield, I was really worried as we are from S.Wales, state school and lower middle class and the reputation of Hatfield made me really question. She's having an amazing time. There is a percentage of the T**tfield type. But you can avoid those people. There's also the society for state school kids. Worth a visit see what you think...
Original post by random_matt
I am here now, yes it is. Holy ****, the amount of crap I heard coming out of a mothers mouth about bigging up their daughters' university place was cringe worthy. I would go elsewhere, I too avoided this advise and experiencing it first hand brings up that lovely hindsight. I have until Monday to maybe change my mind and have my tuition fee unaffected.

P.S. Do not take my opinion as 100% accurate, that would be silly and you should go to an open day etc. Just throwing out a rant, I do this a lot.

I mean I attended an open day and did not see any issues of classism or any discrimination whatsoever. Im just curious are the rumours false or were they putting on a show?

Hey there

I'm a current student at Durham and as a POC from a lower economic and minority ethnic background, here's my two pence on this:

I've spent two years in Durham already and am going into my final year. I remember back when I decided to come to durham, these stories about classism and racism also bothered me a lot and I didn't know what to expect in a new country, away from family and friends. There was this time in first year when a local shop owner in the market place started dissing the people of my origin to my face, but I felt that it was more his trauma that he had to deal with. Fortunately, in my personal experience, I haven't faced any discrimination from anyone connected to the university. Mostly I've found that there are wide-ranging types of people here, some can be rude while others are more friendly. Sometimes their economic situation is correlated to their behaviour, sometimes it's not. Since the very beginning, I have maintained an intimate friendship circle and only hang out with people that I share similar values with and those who embrace diversity. And it makes me so happy that I've gotten to know some of the most amazing people at Durham- they come from different countries around the world, and they have always been so welcoming to me and open to hearing my story and sharing theirs. I've never interacted with anyone who's been outrightly discriminatory towards me. That's not to say that Durham's foolproof. I know people who've had some bad experiences but to be honest, they have mostly been with the local people as well. Plus if you think about it realistically, you'll find rude people anywhere you go. It's not just Durham or the university, it's literally everywhere in the world. That's not to say that their behaviour is okay, but that it's best to choose your own peace and let the rude person sort out their own problems. It says more about them than you anyway.

All in all, I have really enjoyed my experience here. I know hearing other peoples' experiences can be off-putting but that doesn't mean that you will have the same experience too. There are positive experiences too, they just tend to go unshared and unnoticed. Whatever you experienced and witnessed at the open day, none of it was 'just a show'. I have been an ambassador on those open days too, and I am surprised by the level of comradery the students display over those days. Even though we may be introducing to each other for the first time, everyone helps each other set up all those chairs and banners, running the presentations, manning the stands, signposting visitors even in the rain, showing around colleges. That, in my opinion, is the real Durham. Students supporting each other and showing how great Durham can be. The steering wheel is ultimately in your hand. Whatever you decide in the end, I hope you don't let only the bad stories influence your decisions. No place is perfect, but you can make your experience whatever you want it to be despite those imperfections.

Good luck :smile:

-Himieka
I mean I attended an open day and did not see any issues of classism or any discrimination whatsoever. Im just curious are the rumours false or were they putting on a show?

Apply then, but statistically Durham takes in more private educated students than any other institution. If you were happy with the open day and found no issue then you will probably be happy.
Reply 6
My son is a northern, state school boy, and hasn't encountered any classism. He was in Trevs in his 1st yr (now in his 2nd). I asked him how many of the people were private school kids, and he said he had no idea as no one ever asks.
Reply 7
I witnessed classism in full force during my Durham Freshers Week a few years back when a drunken posh girl decided to mock the "common" accent of another girl from Carlisle. She received one of the most important lessons of university education when the Carlisle girl responded with a perfect jab to the nose.

That said, as someone state educated in the North East, I found Durham students to be absolutely lovely regardless of background. There were just one or two a bit up themselves.
Original post by ajl1972
My son is a northern, state school boy, and hasn't encountered any classism. He was in Trevs in his 1st yr (now in his 2nd). I asked him how many of the people were private school kids, and he said he had no idea as no one ever asks.

U should be glad that ur son didn't enter a Bailey College such as Castle and Hatfield
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
U should be glad that ur son didn't enter a Bailey College such as Castle and Hatfield

To be fair he consciously avoided them, because we were worried they would be a bit posh, and a bit classist. And actively tried to get in the colleges that were marketed as friendly. But saying that he has been to many a bar in the bailey colleges, and has encountered no classism there either.
Yes, classism does exist at Durham and there's no point in trying to deny that. I have friends from school at Durham who sound so astonishingly arrogant or entitled sometimes that they give me a literal headache. But they also tend to keep to themselves and are generally polite and pleasant to people that keep a friendly distance. I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding friends and overall having a great university experience, probably without crossing paths with them.
Despite what the media might say, there are plenty of people at Durham (the majority in most social scenes) who were educated in non-public private schools as well as state schools, who would be less obnoxious and easier to mix with. Societies would be a fantastic place to start - one of my friends is really into rock music and found his crowd in the Durham rock society!

Also, there are lots of people from public schools who will be much more friendly and approachable! From my experience they still end up hanging out mostly with each other because it's a bit tricky to organise holidays and flats with people who have a different budget, plus just out of already being friends with them, but there's nothing stopping you from joining them for a pub crawl or doing coursework together. You don't have to go on holiday together or share a flat to qualify as friends after all :smile:

Is id difficult to engage with the uni course?
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous #3
Yes, classism does exist at Durham and there's no point in trying to deny that. I have friends from school at Durham who sound so astonishingly arrogant or entitled sometimes that they give me a literal headache. But they also tend to keep to themselves and are generally polite and pleasant to people that keep a friendly distance. I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding friends and overall having a great university experience, probably without crossing paths with them.
Despite what the media might say, there are plenty of people at Durham (the majority in most social scenes) who were educated in non-public private schools as well as state schools, who would be less obnoxious and easier to mix with. Societies would be a fantastic place to start - one of my friends is really into rock music and found his crowd in the Durham rock society!

Also, there are lots of people from public schools who will be much more friendly and approachable! From my experience they still end up hanging out mostly with each other because it's a bit tricky to organise holidays and flats with people who have a different budget, plus just out of already being friends with them, but there's nothing stopping you from joining them for a pub crawl or doing coursework together. You don't have to go on holiday together or share a flat to qualify as friends after all :smile:

Do you think this is a common experience?

It's by no means an exaggeration. It exists partly due to Durham being associated with being the place you go if you fall under the category of "Oxbridge reject", regardless of the point in your application that you were rejected in, be it pre-interview, post-interview or not meeting offer requirements.

Lots of privately educated people go there because the close knit collegiate system is similar to that of Oxbridge.
Original post by J.wills
Do you think this is a common experience?

Absolutely
Reply 15
Original post by random_matt
Apply then, but statistically Durham takes in more private educated students than any other institution. If you were happy with the open day and found no issue then you will probably be happy.

I thought that was Bristol ......?
what would everyone here count as classism? I mean short of obvious nasty stuff like mocking accents or being outright rude. Would you count a group of friends going skiing classist? or a society for opera or cheese and wine tasting or something like that? or quoting french literature? I don't think cultural differences are quite the same as class based discrimination
Original post by ohyegodsmyroast
what would everyone here count as classism? I mean short of obvious nasty stuff like mocking accents or being outright rude. Would you count a group of friends going skiing classist? or a society for opera or cheese and wine tasting or something like that? or quoting french literature? I don't think cultural differences are quite the same as class based discrimination

I agree and I think everyone else here does as well. I mean, what's so wrong about a group of friends going skiing or an opera society? It doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things.
Original post by ohyegodsmyroast

Great point! For me, classism is if you treat or think of someone differently because of their socioeconomic background. So lifestyle differences on their own are nothing to be ashamed of, but mocking / being dismissive of people who can't afford them, or feeling superior because you can, is. Unfortunately I'd say both exist at Durham.
Reply 19
You will find that there are snotty people at all Universities.

They have been to private schools, come from families with money, and have incredible 'polish' and self-confidence.
Their world-view is limited and they are totally naïve about the reality of the lives of everybody else.

You get concentrations of people like this at 'top' Unis like Durham - and you notice them because they have no doubt about themselves and their right to be there, and they have loud voices.

Join societies that wont interest them - and surround yourself with friends who are like you, and who get your mindset.
And ignore the Hooray Henrys. You can't defeat them, you can't undermine their absurd self-confidence, so do not waste your emotional energy by trying - or by getting annoyed with them.

Be proud of who you are. Be proud of your journey, and your determination to succeed.
Because wherever you end up in life, you are worth a million of any of them.

Quick Reply

Latest