The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Racism at Durham

I’ve received a contextual offer as a Home student very early, only 8 days after I sent my UCAS off. Of course, I really want to go as it was going to be my first choice. However, I’ve heard that students of colour do suffer some micro aggressions at the university. Will this affect my overall uni experience as an African student? I don’t want to generalise and say all white people are racist.
I know someone who goes and is mixed, they haven't mentioned anything about directly facing it and overall there is not much ethnic diversity. They are part of the ACS too which is also a good community. Nevertheless, each person's experiences are different and some might experience it, some might not. It's a really good uni and you could weigh up your other options too. Well done for getting an offer too!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
I’ve received a contextual offer as a Home student very early, only 8 days after I sent my UCAS off. Of course, I really want to go as it was going to be my first choice. However, I’ve heard that students of colour do suffer some micro aggressions at the university. Will this affect my overall uni experience as an African student? I don’t want to generalise and say all white people are racist.

Then why say the generalisation? Making denigrating and disparaging comments about a whole ethnicity based on your own predujices is very close to what you purport to hate and want to avoid at Durham. Dont be part of the problem.

Racism is prevalent everywhere, the same as classism, sexism etc. Whether Durham is a hotbed of any is up for debate, and it is not very useful to ask a few people their experiences as it may not be representative to overall experiences.

Do your research and try not to let your prejudices or others lead you to make decisions.

Greg
Reply 3
Original post by greg tony
Then why say the generalisation? Making denigrating and disparaging comments about a whole ethnicity based on your own predujices is very close to what you purport to hate and want to avoid at Durham. Dont be part of the problem.

Racism is prevalent everywhere, the same as classism, sexism etc. Whether Durham is a hotbed of any is up for debate, and it is not very useful to ask a few people their experiences as it may not be representative to overall experiences.

Do your research and try not to let your prejudices or others lead you to make decisions.

Greg

Thanks for the comprehensive response Greg. I’ve lived my whole life in an area where quite literally there is only one white girl in my year and she’s Irish. I’m not making the generalisation because I know that would be very ignorant, I’m just curious in hearing anyone’s experiences which may corroborate or negate my statement is all! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest