The Student Room Group

Opinions on Sheffield Law

I'm currently choosing between Birmingham and Sheffield as my Firm for Law and I'm really interested in everything about Sheffield, very student orientated, great accomodation, student union etc... I haven't really looked at Birmingham as indepth and I have loads of friends who are/have been to Sheffield and they rate it so much!

I know Birmingham peaks Sheff in terms of reputation, but what are my chances of achieving any MC/SC offers at the end of my degree? I'm worried as everyone is telling me to pick Birmingham as Sheffield will get me nowhere... Does a russelgroup redbrick not cut it anymore?

HELP? :confused:

Scroll to see replies

I am currently a first year at Sheffield law school so I can give you advice in relation to this.

I have never been to see Birmingham but all I will say, briefly, is that today I had a lecture from a partner in the banking department of Addleshaw Goddard explaining applications etc. People on TSR will no doubt say that Birmingham has a better rep, but the way I see it, if you go to a RG university, the firms will look at your application and then it is simply all about what you bring to the table.

In summary, there is not much real difference between the two. Go with preference.
Reply 2
Original post by Playa4Real007
I am currently a first year at Sheffield law school so I can give you advice in relation to this.

I have never been to see Birmingham but all I will say, briefly, is that today I had a lecture from a partner in the banking department of Addleshaw Goddard explaining applications etc. People on TSR will no doubt say that Birmingham has a better rep, but the way I see it, if you go to a RG university, the firms will look at your application and then it is simply all about what you bring to the table.

In summary, there is not much real difference between the two. Go with preference.

Thanks. I do think that the reputation of Universities on TSR is over-hyped. It's a strong, russel group red-brick university, as long as I can prove that I would have excelled wherever I went, choice of insitution shouldn't be a problem! Cheers again :biggrin:
Reply 3
Hi,
I have an offer for Sheffield & am hoping for offers from York & Birmingham.
Would also be interested in others opinions.:biggrin:
Sheffield woooooh! If reputation is the main factor for you then you're probably best choosing Birmingham. However for all round university experience I'd choose Sheffield. Great location, well respected RG uni, immense students' union, good sports teams. Not that I'm biased or anything :-)

Saying that I didn't visit Birmingham and have never been so maybe everything Sheffield has Birmingham has too!
Mate, I am in a very similar position to you and all I can say is, do your research. Do look into University of Birmingham (which is what I am going to do as well!), and weigh it up with what you have seen from Sheffield. It can be daunting, but it will be so worth it. At the current moment I don't know either, but the options are so much easier for me as Sheffield offered me AAB and Birmingham offered me AAA, so essentially Sheffield can be an insurance choice for me (Plus I only live an hour and a bit away!) :smile: Read up into the course and how they teach it as well, you are going to spend 3 years of your life in either of these, you don't want to make a mistake. I know you will make the right decision. Best of luck to you buddy!
Reply 6
Thanks, I think I just needed some confirmation that Sheffield is a good law school to go to and hopefully I'll be able to get some TC's after it! It's only been on the up since I can remember, jumped like 12 places in the league tables from 2010 > 2011! :smile:
Original post by matt1291
Thanks, I think I just needed some confirmation that Sheffield is a good law school to go to and hopefully I'll be able to get some TC's after it! It's only been on the up since I can remember, jumped like 12 places in the league tables from 2010 > 2011! :smile:

Do not look at league tables. They are useless.
Original post by Carbolic Smokeball
Sheffield woooooh! If reputation is the main factor for you then you're probably best choosing Birmingham. However for all round university experience I'd choose Sheffield. Great location, well respected RG uni, immense students' union, good sports teams. Not that I'm biased or anything :-)

Saying that I didn't visit Birmingham and have never been so maybe everything Sheffield has Birmingham has too!

I disagree with this. I honestly do not believe it will make much if any difference at all.
Original post by Playa4Real007
I disagree with this. I honestly do not believe it will make much if any difference at all.

Sheffield it is then! :biggrin:
I think that you should seek further opinions before necessarily acting on this OP, seeing as your information is currently being sourced from predominantly Sheffield graduates/students.

Birmingham does have a better reputation as a Law School. I do not think that that is in doubt. However, as has been pointed out to you, the difference in reputation is not large. Furthermore, the difference in teaching quality at undergraduate level is even smaller than the gap in reputation.

So essentially, if you like the look of Sheffield more than Birmingham and you know that you will be engaging in various extra-curriculars then there is no reason why you cannot go as far with a Law degree from Sheffield as you would with the Birmingham equivalent.
Reply 12
Original post by Cast.Iron
I think that you should seek further opinions before necessarily acting on this OP, seeing as your information is currently being sourced from predominantly Sheffield graduates/students.

Birmingham does have a better reputation as a Law School. I do not think that that is in doubt. However, as has been pointed out to you, the difference in reputation is not large. Furthermore, the difference in teaching quality at undergraduate level is even smaller than the gap in reputation.

So essentially, if you like the look of Sheffield more than Birmingham and you know that you will be engaging in various extra-curriculars then there is no reason why you cannot go as far with a Law degree from Sheffield as you would with the Birmingham equivalent.

I have to agree and I would happily select Sheffield as my Firm choice (AAB). However, if I do so, I would have to Insure Hull (ABB), and I really do not want to go there. So if I missed my Firm, then I wouldn't be going to University at all as I would not want to there at all, and there aren't going to be any decent universities in Clearing I imagine..?

Whereas if I Firm Birm (AAA) and Insure Sheff (AAB), I've got two very good choices. Though I do suppose that if I had that first view and think i'd miss the offer (AAB), then i'd not be going to University at all.

I think Birmingham's great, 2nd biggest legal sector in UK after London, it's one of 9 univeristies classed as 'Elite' by the Sutton Trust, which produce respectful higher education reports, and it's one of the major players when people think top 10 Uni's (Oxbridge, 3 London, Bristol, Durham, Warwick, Nottingham and Birmingham - though this is obviously subjective) and prestige is so key for a careeer in Law.

I'm offput my the idea of a 'campus'. I did English at Uni of Manchester last year before leaving to do Law this year, and I loved the city, shops, clubs, busy etc, I haven't visited Birm yet, but they idea of having all the lectures/seminar buildings, clubs and accomodation in one enclosure sounds a bit daunting, or is this not the case at all?! :s-smilie:

I do need some more information on both Univeristies I think before making such an important decision! :confused: (thanks again all!)
Reply 13
Would it be possible to get a career at the bar with a degree from Sheffield?
Original post by Sparkles11
Would it be possible to get a career at the bar with a degree from Sheffield?

Possible yes, but also difficult (its difficult from every other university too). I think you'd need a first, though I'm sure barristers/pupils will give better advice than me.
I have applied to go to Sheffield aswell and i
I have applied to go to Sheffield for Law as well and I think you should definitely go for it. There's a judge in the high court who studied at Sheffield as well as the athlete Jessica Ennis. It's also very cheap compared to others in terms of accomodation. However, their grades are very high which is what is scaring me because I need AAA and that would be difficult. BUT I think if you work your butt off right now, you'll have no problem. FIRM SHEFFIELD :smile:
Reply 17
I'm academic and would strive towards that first- i'd put everything into it including starting to look over the first years work well beforehand so i put myself in good stead. I originally applied for Medicine-gap year and have changed my mind now. Hence why I want the best possible uni available for Law. I hold the grades so that's not a problem. Just a bit confused right now.
Reply 18
Original post by MichellePamisa
I have applied to go to Sheffield for Law as well and I think you should definitely go for it. There's a judge in the high court who studied at Sheffield as well as the athlete Jessica Ennis. It's also very cheap compared to others in terms of accomodation. However, their grades are very high which is what is scaring me because I need AAA and that would be difficult. BUT I think if you work your butt off right now, you'll have no problem. FIRM SHEFFIELD :smile:

I want a career at the bar and i've heard it would be difficult from Sheff... But i have always heard that it's an amazing uni!
Reply 19
i'm a first year law and german student at sheffield
first of all, sheffield was my insurance choice. and when i found out i was going there i was GUTTED cause i had my heart set on going to my first choice, exeter so i guess you could say i probably had one of the worst attitudes towards sheffield when i first arrived

now i absolutely LOVE it. literally, i don't think i could be anywhere near as happy anywhere else. so basically it's a really good city, really studenty, really good union generally just really good. however, i have had many experiences in birmingham and it does have a very good union and city too, but the campus aspect of the uni is a bit annoying, but that would also be a problem if you lived in the endcliffe or ranmoor communities in first year (city community is the best!)

with regards to the academic aspect league tables may point to birmingham but generally speaking they're pretty equal in terms of reputation ect

the only major thing is the shopping in sheffield is really really bad and it's really really good in birmingham, i think that's the only thing birmingham has over sheffield :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending