The Student Room Group

Official Geography applicants thread 2024

Hi guys! I thought it would be useful to have a forum for this year's Geography applicants to discuss applications as the UCAS deadline approaches, so feel free to put your:
- A-Level/equivalent subjects and predicted grades
- GCSE grades
- whether you want to do a Bsc or BA
- where you are applying
- what you are doing to prepare for applications
- anything extra like questions!

(edited 9 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I'm looking at BA Geography. Just trying to do extra stuff now for personal statement. How about you?
Reply 2
Hi guys!

Looking to do BSc Geography but I'm applying to a range of Environmental and Earth Science courses (which makes the PS a bit harder for sure!)

I do Bio, Chem and Geo alevel (and did Core maths this year). Also trying to spend my summer doing as much stuff for the PS as possible! I'm an early entry applicant so the October deadline is real!!

What kind of stuff have you guys been doing for the personal statement? Obviously I'm more on the environmental side of things but geography is such a big field so you can do some cool stuff.
Reply 3
Original post by boglarka06
Hi guys!

Looking to do BSc Geography but I'm applying to a range of Environmental and Earth Science courses (which makes the PS a bit harder for sure!)

I do Bio, Chem and Geo alevel (and did Core maths this year). Also trying to spend my summer doing as much stuff for the PS as possible! I'm an early entry applicant so the October deadline is real!!

What kind of stuff have you guys been doing for the personal statement? Obviously I'm more on the environmental side of things but geography is such a big field so you can do some cool stuff.

i didn’t do anything special for my PS. i just wrote what originally got me interested into environmental science and why i’m interested in it, what subject i’m studying in college and what skills i’ve developed from it, any voluntary activities i’ve done and a documentary i’ve watched. i guess it depends where you want to apply like for oxford/cambridge you may want to do something extra but i got all 5 offers with my PS.
My university didn't even read my personal statement before accepting me, as I got in through clearing and was above their grade requirements. That being said, doing the extra stuff during the summer is a good experience anyways.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Reply 5
Original post by geo_student_
Hi! I'm looking at BA Geography. Just trying to do extra stuff now for personal statement. How about you?

what extra stuff have you been doing for your PS? I’m struggling to find things to boost my application
Reply 6
Original post by stress17
Hi guys! I thought it would be useful to have a forum for this year's Geography applicants to discuss applications as the UCAS deadline approaches, so feel free to put your:
- A-Level/equivalent subjects and predicted grades
- GCSE grades
- whether you want to do a Bsc or BA
- where you are applying
- what you are doing to prepare for applications
- anything extra like questions!

I’m looking to study geography (probably BSc but Ive not decided for sure) at Glasgow or Edinburgh but I’ll also apply to Aberdeen and Dundee as backups. I have AAABB at higher but the minimum for most geo courses in scotland is AAAB so I need extra things for my PS, any suggestions??
Reply 7
Hi!
I study biology, chemistry, and geography. I'm not entirely decided between geography and environmental science yet, but if I apply for geography I'll do a Bsc with some flexibility to take a few human modules. I'm liking the courses at Nottingham and York atm.
- Hope I did this right, never used TSR before.
Original post by TheEmma
Hi!
I study biology, chemistry, and geography. I'm not entirely decided between geography and environmental science yet, but if I apply for geography I'll do a Bsc with some flexibility to take a few human modules. I'm liking the courses at Nottingham and York atm.
- Hope I did this right, never used TSR before.

Hi!

It's great to hear that you are interested in York. If you have any questions about studying/living in York, let us know - we're happy to help!

Hazel :smile:
Original post by b1zz1m
I’m looking to study geography (probably BSc but Ive not decided for sure) at Glasgow or Edinburgh but I’ll also apply to Aberdeen and Dundee as backups. I have AAABB at higher but the minimum for most geo courses in scotland is AAAB so I need extra things for my PS, any suggestions??

What have you/are planning to include in your PS? If you haven't already talked about books and/or online courses then I would recommend those as they show your interest in the subject and personally they were the easiest for me to write about. Also remember, you don't need to talk about a lot of things, it's better to talk about 2-3 things and explain them in more detail rather than listing off 10 things you did without explaining any of them.
Hi All,

I am looking to study a BA in Geography and my choices at the moment are Cambridge, Exeter, Southampton, Bristol, and Cardiff. I am currently working my PS and trying to do a range of things to cover it like further reading, podcasts/webinars, and geographical magazines. Has anyone got any other tips or other things they are doing for there personal statement.

Jo
Getting started seems to be the hardest bit. I've built two paragraphs around A-Level topics that were interesting to me, and the extra things I've done around that. I've still got to get some more things in there, maybe about some book or research paper that was interesting. I'm really not sure how to get a physical geography paragraph in there, talking about the human stuff feels much more natural. How about you?

Original post by boglarka06
Hi guys!

Original post by Joanna.Bowte11
Hi All,

I am looking to study a BA in Geography and my choices at the moment are Cambridge, Exeter, Southampton, Bristol, and Cardiff. I am currently working my PS and trying to do a range of things to cover it like further reading, podcasts/webinars, and geographical magazines. Has anyone got any other tips or other things they are doing for there personal statement.

Jo

Hi Jo - you know the course at Bristol is a BSc with compulsory quant modules (coding in year 1 and then data analysis in year 2)? It’s quite different from the BA degrees at the other unis you’ve mentioned.
Original post by Puppypower1
Hi Jo - you know the course at Bristol is a BSc with compulsory quant modules (coding in year 1 and then data analysis in year 2)? It’s quite different from the BA degrees at the other unis you’ve mentioned.

Hey, thats interesting will have a look further into that. Thank you for letting me know, they sound quite interesting in some ways it will be good to have a back up that a little different in case I have a change in heart. Thank you again!
Jo
Original post by geo_student_
Getting started seems to be the hardest bit. I've built two paragraphs around A-Level topics that were interesting to me, and the extra things I've done around that. I've still got to get some more things in there, maybe about some book or research paper that was interesting. I'm really not sure how to get a physical geography paragraph in there, talking about the human stuff feels much more natural. How about you?

Yeah, getting started is definitely the hardest bit. I also did my first paragraph on my favourite geography topic, but for me it's natural hazards, and I talked about the books I read and what they taught me (and how I applied this elsewhere). For me, the human side is harder to talk about, but I picked a topic which is kind of both (food systems)? What are your other Alevels? I saw a ps once that started their third paragraph by saying "my other subjects also compliment my understanding" and started from there?
Has anyone that’s submitted their application received any offers yet?
Hi,

I have just finished my three year undergraduate degree in BSc Geography at Lancaster, if anyone has any questions, feel free to message :smile:

Thanks,
Tyler (LU Postgraduate Ambassador)
Original post by lulubear222

I applied on Oct 15th and got an offer from Glasgow on Oct 17th, but I'm still waiting for St Andrews, Bristol, Edinburgh, and to hear back about a Cambridge (Clare) interview. Though I'm international, which might change when I hear back!

Edit - I just heard back from St Andrews and Bristol today! (Nov 15)
(edited 5 months ago)

I applied October 13th and have an offer from Canterbury Christchurch, but am still waiting to hear back from Bristol, St.Andrews, Kings College and have an interview from Cambridge (Corpus Christi) in December. I applied for BSc (except Cambridge) and an a UK applicant!
Reply 19

I applied to Oxford, LSE, UCL, Exeter and Birmingham at the end of September all for BA courses. I've got two offers so far: Birmingham (AAB) and Exeter (AAA), and have just received an interview invitation from Brasenose College Oxford which I am absolutely over the moon about! What about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending