The Student Room Group

How important is the EPQ in the admissions process to Oxford/Cambridge?

I am currently doing my EPQ, and it is not going well. I predict that I will not fail, but I will not get the grade that I want to get. It is far too late to drop out now and I will finish this. I have 3 A*s predicted in my other three alevels, but to what extent will my chances of acceptance to these unis be affected by a bad, or very mid, EPQ? Any advice needed
Reply 1
Your A level grades are way more important than the EPQ. Most universities don’t really care much if you have done an EPQ whilst others will give alternative offers to those who do. With Oxbridge they only take into account your grades when giving you a place. Although the EPQ is not formally required it may help you to stand out and you'd be able to talk about it in your personal statement. If you think you won’t be able to keep your current grades up then it’s probably not worth it, its better to have 3 A*'s than lower grades and a low EPQ.
Reply 2
None of the students who got into Oxbridge at my school did an EPQ. I can't say for sure but unless your really passionate about what your going to do your EPQ on, it will only make you stand out a little bit more. However, if end up like me and get rejected from Oxbridge an EPQ can make ur life a lot easier by lowering your grade requirments for other unis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending