The Student Room Group

Economics at either Oxford or Cambridge #university #oxford #cambridge

Hi, l'm a female Y12 student and I wondered if I could have some honest feedback concerning my Statistics as a potential Oxbridge applicant for Economics I did alright in my GCSEs, although a bit worse than I expected.
I am currently studying Economics, Maths and Further Maths at college.
First of all, should I take an EPQ? I'm not sure if I would be allowed to since it's currently March of Y12.
But if I would be allowed would you recommend it?
Secondly, would it be ridiculous for me to apply for Oxbridge with my GCSE grades?
If not, would it be better for me to apply to Cambridge rather than Oxford? I heard that Cambridge are more lenient concerning GCSE grades.
Please be honest guys. Thanks
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi, l'm a female Y12 student and I wondered if I could have some honest feedback concerning my Statistics as a potential Oxbridge applicant for Economics I did alright in my GCSEs, although a bit worse than I expected.
First of all, should I take an EPQ? I'm not sure if I would be allowed to since it's currently March of Y12.
Secondly, would it be ridiculous for me to apply for Oxbridge with my GCSE grades?
If not, would it be better for me to apply to Cambridge rather than Oxford? I heard that Cambridge are more lenient concerning GCSE grades.

Oxford does not offer pure economics so you'd either have to do PPE or E & M so if you want to do pure economics Cambridge is your only option
Reply 2
Original post by Larryflax
Oxford does not offer pure economics so you'd either have to do PPE or E & M so if you want to do pure economics Cambridge is your only option

Hi, it’s me the person who posted this. Yes I realise this and I wouldn’t mind studying Pure Economics or Economics and Management as I enjoy both. I am more concerned about the likelihood of a successful application. What is your opinion if you have one?
Reply 3

I also achieved these grades at a state school, incase this may impact your opinion.
Hi, it’s me the person who posted this. Yes I realise this and I wouldn’t mind studying Pure Economics or Economics and Management as I enjoy both. I am more concerned about the likelihood of a successful application. What is your opinion if you have one?

From my understanding from the time I applied to Oxford, they mainly only care about entrance exam scores + interview scores. Also I think Oxford counts 8s and 9s the same so your GCSEs don't look that bad to me
So ultimately your A-Level grades and performance in admissions tests or written work would be taken into account when shortlisting for interviews. In theory oxford tends to interview fewer applicants by shortlisting taking into account GCSE grades and predicted grades and performance at tests prior to interview. Cambridge tends to interview far more applicants and doesn’t tend to look at GCSEs so much. That being said your GCSEs are obviously not as strong as a typical Oxbridge candidate.

The best advice would be to contact the individual colleges and ask how they would view an application from you with respect to your profile. Some colleges might be more receptive than others.
Reply 6
Original post by Larryflax
From my understanding from the time I applied to Oxford, they mainly only care about entrance exam scores + interview scores. Also I think Oxford counts 8s and 9s the same so your GCSEs don't look that bad to me

Thanks!
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous #2
So ultimately your A-Level grades and performance in admissions tests or written work would be taken into account when shortlisting for interviews. In theory oxford tends to interview fewer applicants by shortlisting taking into account GCSE grades and predicted grades and performance at tests prior to interview. Cambridge tends to interview far more applicants and doesn’t tend to look at GCSEs so much. That being said your GCSEs are obviously not as strong as a typical Oxbridge candidate.
The best advice would be to contact the individual colleges and ask how they would view an application from you with respect to your profile. Some colleges might be more receptive than others.

Thank you! This was very helpful
Reply 8
Hi, I've been accepted to Economics at cambridge starting next year, and from my understanding If you mostly care about being accepted then you are much more likely to get accepted to Economics at Cambridge than to Economics and Management at Oxford. You should also consider Land Economy at Cambridge, which is easier to get into and may interest you more
Reply 9
Original post by N1.GOAT
Hi, I've been accepted to Economics at cambridge starting next year, and from my understanding If you mostly care about being accepted then you are much more likely to get accepted to Economics at Cambridge than to Economics and Management at Oxford. You should also consider Land Economy at Cambridge, which is easier to get into and may interest you more

Great, thank you!
Note that hashtags don't function in that way on TSR :wink:

You're probably equivocal at both. E&M is the most competitive course at Oxford most years though, although economics at Cambridge is also very competitive. However you're taking the right subjects so have as good a chance as anyone realistically. That said also Oxford tends to be a bit more GCSE heavy than Cambridge so that might also incline you towards Cambridge potentially.
Original post by artful_lounger
Note that hashtags don't function in that way on TSR :wink:
You're probably equivocal at both. E&M is the most competitive course at Oxford most years though, although economics at Cambridge is also very competitive. However you're taking the right subjects so have as good a chance as anyone realistically. That said also Oxford tends to be a bit more GCSE heavy than Cambridge so that might also incline you towards Cambridge potentially.

Ah, thanks, it’s my first time posting on here. Thank you for the advice!

Hi, I applied to Cambridge for History with very similar grades to you (988888766) and was rejected post-interview after being pooled. I too was concerned about my grades. However, seeing as I was relatively close to getting an offer, I wouldn't not apply altogether due to your GCSE grades. I think grades are a factor overall but they don't determine acceptance or rejection and predicted grades are also taken into account. Don't be disheartened, they are objectively good grades :smile: Also, I did EPQ, I think they like it but it's not essential.
Original post by faithedwards05
Hi, I applied to Cambridge for History with very similar grades to you (988888766) and was rejected post-interview after being pooled. I too was concerned about my grades. However, seeing as I was relatively close to getting an offer, I wouldn’t not apply altogether due to your GCSE grades. I think grades are a factor overall but they don’t determine acceptance or rejection and predicted grades are also taken into account. Don’t be disheartened, they are objectively good grades :smile: Also, I did EPQ, I think they like it but it’s not essential.

Great, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending