The Student Room Group

Gap year for Oxbridge

Hi, I want to go to Cambridge or oxford Ideally for something biology related. Im not really sure how the process of applying for a gap year is. Do you apply at the beginning of year 13 to the uni and specify that you want a gap year, or do you just not apply to any uni during that time and when the next application cycle comes round, apply then?
You can do both! You can apply at the beginning of year 13 and when you're putting your options, you will have the option to apply for deferred entry. I'd like to note that Oxford states that your application is less likely to be successful as a result (I'd imagine the same applies to Cambridge) but there's nothing stopping you from trying it anyway and reapplying during your actual gap year so I'd do that if I were you. I'd alsp message both Oxford and Cambridge admissions' department and ask them what other things you should do differently in your application since they'll probably want to know what you'll be up to during your gap year :smile:
Reply 2
Hi there, I made a similar thread to this but the question is different so pls dont take this down. Essentially I am about to drop further maths to take maths, bio, chem and EPQ for my subject choices (im in year 12). I want to apply to cambridge biological sciences. If i dont get in, can I take a gap year, learn all the further maths content, take Further maths as an independent candidate and do lots of other supercurriculars to boost my application then apply again and see if i get in? Is this a possibility as I was told that oxbridge want the A levels you sat to be in the same academic year.
Reply 3
Original post by Fermat42647
Hi there, I made a similar thread to this but the question is different so pls dont take this down. Essentially I am about to drop further maths to take maths, bio, chem and EPQ for my subject choices (im in year 12). I want to apply to cambridge biological sciences. If i dont get in, can I take a gap year, learn all the further maths content, take Further maths as an independent candidate and do lots of other supercurriculars to boost my application then apply again and see if i get in? Is this a possibility as I was told that oxbridge want the A levels you sat to be in the same academic year.

Yes you can do that, but if you don’t get in it would not be due to your lack of FM. It would be because your grades/PS/supers/references/entrance-exams/interview or some combination of those were not quite good enough. Most successful applicants of NatSci Biological do not have FM.

Also I would not normally recommend taking a year out just to reapply to Cambridge unless you are doing something which you think will be worthwhile for your development even if you don’t get in. The harsh reality is that re applicants are no my likely to get in that 1st time applicants.
Reply 4
Original post by lalexm
Yes you can do that, but if you don’t get in it would not be due to your lack of FM. It would be because your grades/PS/supers/references/entrance-exams/interview or some combination of those were not quite good enough. Most successful applicants of NatSci Biological do not have FM.

Also I would not normally recommend taking a year out just to reapply to Cambridge unless you are doing something which you think will be worthwhile for your development even if you don’t get in. The harsh reality is that re applicants are no my likely to get in that 1st time applicants.

But surely FM students are more likely to be accepted? I know the majority dont take it, but if you have the opportunity to take it (as I do), then would it not be considered bad if you dont take it?
Reply 5
But surely FM students are more likely to be accepted? I know the majority dont take it, but if you have the opportunity to take it (as I do), then would it not be considered bad if you dont take it?

We are going around in circles with you repeating the same question again and again. I’m done with this I’m afraid.

They want at least three A-Levels to be sat in the same sitting (with some exceptions). If you're doing three A-Levels normally then using a gap year to do a fourth won't disadvantage you.
Threads Merged

Quick Reply

Latest