The Student Room Group

Starting again after illness

My son was very seriously ill (told at hospital that finally diagnosed his ailment that it was too late and they would just try to make him comfortable). He did pull through but has to take a cocktail of drugs daily as his immune system is wrecked.
He had to quit university, but now feels that he would like to return. His original course was marine biology and he left before the second year exams. His twin sister took the operating department practioner degree and loved the job, so he would like to do the same. Would his circumstances allow him to get funding for this degree? Thanks for any replies.
Original post by Matureb
My son was very seriously ill (told at hospital that finally diagnosed his ailment that it was too late and they would just try to make him comfortable). He did pull through but has to take a cocktail of drugs daily as his immune system is wrecked.
He had to quit university, but now feels that he would like to return. His original course was marine biology and he left before the second year exams. His twin sister took the operating department practioner degree and loved the job, so he would like to do the same. Would his circumstances allow him to get funding for this degree? Thanks for any replies.

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear about your son but pleased that he is doing well.

When would he be looking to start his new course? Thanks, Karen
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Karen
Hi there, I'm sorry to hear about your son but pleased that he is doing well.

When would he be looking to start his new course? Thanks, Karen

Hi Karen,

He would like to start this September, if funding for the 3 years is possible. He is at work now and I`ll try to get him to answer any questions. He is in England if that makes any difference.

Thanks
Original post by Matureb
Hi Karen,

He would like to start this September, if funding for the 3 years is possible. He is at work now and I`ll try to get him to answer any questions. He is in England if that makes any difference.

Thanks

The standard way we calculate funding is as follows:
- Students are entitled to funding for their course duration.
- We then award students an additional year of funding, should they need to repeat or change their course.
- We then take any previous study into consideration and this then gives a student their entitlement available for their course.
If there were mitigating circumstances as to why you didn't complete your previous course then you can apply for what is called Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR).
More information on this can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

I would advise for him to submit an application for the team to review and if he has evidence of CPR then he can upload this on his online account for the team to review. Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending