The Student Room Group

Help!!!

Hi

I have a bit of a dilemma. I am in year 12 and have to choose a uni course that I would like to do. I am doing at A level

Maths
English lit
Physics
Philosophy

The problem is I love both English and math the same and just feel like I want to learn my whole life. I love analysing language in English but this isn’t a career and I wouldn’t want to let go of math anyway. Is there anyone else like me and what did you do?

Thanks
Original post by Lars360
Hi

I have a bit of a dilemma. I am in year 12 and have to choose a uni course that I would like to do. I am doing at A level

Maths
English lit
Physics
Philosophy

The problem is I love both English and math the same and just feel like I want to learn my whole life. I love analysing language in English but this isn’t a career and I wouldn’t want to let go of math anyway. Is there anyone else like me and what did you do?

Thanks

If you "love both English and math the same" then why not study both?

If you look-up the Mathematics course at St. Andrews (here), for example, you'll note that it says, "You can take the Mathematics BSc, Mathematics MA, Mathematics MMath, Statistics BSc, and Statistics MA programmes alongside another subject as part of a joint degree. Find out more about taking a joint Honours degree." Double-checking, the details for their English course (here) say, "The English MA (Hons) can be taken with another subject as part of a joint degree. Find out more about taking a joint Honours degree." So it seems that a joint English and Mathematics would be at option at St. Andrews.

Dundee have course explicitly called "English and Mathematics MA (Hons)" (details here). Don't be thrown by the "MA" moniker, by the way, some Scottish universities use that for their undergraduate degrees for historic reasons.

To be fair, there aren't many combined English and Maths degrees around. You might manage to find one or two more - but I suspect you don't find many. I also couldn't vouch for what sort of career a degree like this might lead you to. But it's an option.

Quick Reply

Latest