The Student Room Group

Equipment

Hi, I was wondering what people recommend for equipment when going to uni?
Im doing a film course and am considering whether I should get a laptop or computer or if my iPad will be enough?
I'm not at university but I would recommend an apple macbook as it is great for those kind of things and could be good for recording and all sorts.
Reply 2
Thanks 😊
Original post by Ytftgy7g7yby7
I'm not at university but I would recommend an apple macbook as it is great for those kind of things and could be good for recording and all sorts.
Of course and you could directly ask your university, what apps/software could be useful and what devices could help?
Original post by tollarchet
Im doing a film course and am considering whether I should get a laptop or computer or if my iPad will be enough?

It’s best to directly contact the university about this. They will be able to give you a definite answer so you don’t waste money on a device you will not use.
Reply 5
Thank you 😊
I will definitely do that!
Original post by 5hyl33n
It’s best to directly contact the university about this. They will be able to give you a definite answer so you don’t waste money on a device you will not use.
Reply 6
Original post by 5hyl33n

I agree. Best to consult with the course team when you get there. Often there are student discounts on kit software and apps. You might even get free subscriptions while you are a student. Most software runs on both PCs and Macs so don't necessarily go for a Mac unless you prefer them.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 7
Thank you!

Yeah I probably wouldn't go for a Mac, I prefer windows.
Original post by cheadle
I agree. Best to consult with the course team when you get there. Often there are student discounts on kit software and apps. You might even get free subscriptions while you are a student. Most software runs on both PCs and Macs so don't necessarily go for a Mac unless you prefer them.

Hi @tollarchet,

I’m a photography student at Chester University and I’m currently in my second year! I found it very useful to have my own laptop when beginning my studies - this meant I could work from home and access my own files directly. Additionally I am able to access Adobe programs like Photoshop and Lightroom where as, in your case, you will primarily be using Adobe Premiere Pro, Audition etc… And, I know here I got all of this for free provided by the university (as an enrolled student) plus the university will most likely give you the option to borrow out camera equipment and such so don’t rush into buying anything just yet!

After my first year I kind of got an idea of what equipment to buy for myself and what I would use the best/most. Then having saved some money, I was able to own my equipment for photography - this would be similar in your case for studying film.

Hope this helps and good luck in your studies!
Ellie
Reply 9
Original post by UniofChester Rep
Hi @tollarchet,

I’m a photography student at Chester University and I’m currently in my second year! I found it very useful to have my own laptop when beginning my studies - this meant I could work from home and access my own files directly. Additionally I am able to access Adobe programs like Photoshop and Lightroom where as, in your case, you will primarily be using Adobe Premiere Pro, Audition etc… And, I know here I got all of this for free provided by the university (as an enrolled student) plus the university will most likely give you the option to borrow out camera equipment and such so don’t rush into buying anything just yet!

After my first year I kind of got an idea of what equipment to buy for myself and what I would use the best/most. Then having saved some money, I was able to own my equipment for photography - this would be similar in your case for studying film.

Hope this helps and good luck in your studies!
Ellie

This is super helpful, thank you so much 😊😊

Hey there @tollarchet !
I currently study Media so can give an insight into what I bring. I went through first year with a HP laptop which was kind of old but worked for what we were doing because it loaded Creative Cloud and had all the apps I needed. For taking notes and catching up on lectures, it worked absolutely fine and I had no complaints. Towards the end of the year, it started to slow down and I decided to upgrade to a MacBook. I can honestly say it's the best decision I've ever made. I really didn't think there'd be that much of a difference but I will never go back to a Windows now. Having said this, some of my coursemates still use HP's and get on absolutely fine with them. For me personally, this year I've started doing more graphic design bits so having a MacBook is really useful and so much more easier to use. It's also more helpful for film editing software like iMovie and Adobe PremierPro because it just runs a lot smoother and the controls are a lot simpler. I think for a film degree it would be beneficial to you to have a laptop. It doesn't necessarily have to be a MacBook but it would be useful to you to have some sort of laptop to finish off any editing work you've started in uni and need to finish at home. An iPad is fine for notes but for a specific film degree, it would be good to have a laptop as it's easier for importing videos taken on film cameras.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey there @tollarchet !
I currently study Media so can give an insight into what I bring. I went through first year with a HP laptop which was kind of old but worked for what we were doing because it loaded Creative Cloud and had all the apps I needed. For taking notes and catching up on lectures, it worked absolutely fine and I had no complaints. Towards the end of the year, it started to slow down and I decided to upgrade to a MacBook. I can honestly say it's the best decision I've ever made. I really didn't think there'd be that much of a difference but I will never go back to a Windows now. Having said this, some of my coursemates still use HP's and get on absolutely fine with them. For me personally, this year I've started doing more graphic design bits so having a MacBook is really useful and so much more easier to use. It's also more helpful for film editing software like iMovie and Adobe PremierPro because it just runs a lot smoother and the controls are a lot simpler. I think for a film degree it would be beneficial to you to have a laptop. It doesn't necessarily have to be a MacBook but it would be useful to you to have some sort of laptop to finish off any editing work you've started in uni and need to finish at home. An iPad is fine for notes but for a specific film degree, it would be good to have a laptop as it's easier for importing videos taken on film cameras.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

I agree, macbooks are highly useful for editing and those kind of courses.

Hi @tollarchet,
I am not a film student but I use a laptop everyday for my degree (Psychology). In lectures nearly everyone has a laptop.
I just wanted to add that if you wait a bit longer (august/september ish) back to school offers will start on all technology. I bought a brand new laptop around now when I started uni and the same model was discounted only a few months later!

Enjoy your degree :smile:
Eloise (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending