The Student Room Group

I'm struggling

I received an offer from Durham to study Law and while I'm so happy and grateful, I'm not confident I can meet their offer conditions. I really want to go and I've been working really hard towards this but (and I hate that it sounds like an excuse) the past 2 years have not been the best, to say the least. My insurance is Leicester (ABB) but I'm not sure they'll take me either.

I had to go on a gap year after graduating from my A-levels college in 2022 due to personal reasons. I later found out on results day that I achieved WAY lower than I thought I would (predicted AAB, achieved BBD). Skipping to the end of 2022, I decided to resit all my A-levels and reapply to uni with new predicted grades of A*A*A. I was quite on track for this but it was very difficult to pace myself and stay focused, and now I'm in the middle of my exams as a private candidate but I fear my results will remain the same as last year, or barely improve to AAB-BBC (which obviously doesn't meet my offer requirements).

It's been very difficult for me to keep going and it's even harder when you're the only one who has to remind yourself that everything will be ok. My mental health deteriorated throughout my gap year and while I tried to not let it affect my performance, it's hard to say that it didn't. My prospects seem slim and I'm afraid I won't be able to go to uni this year again because of my grades. I know I'm more than my grades and all that but in terms of uni, these grades are kind of required to provide merit for your potential abilities while completing a degree. I'm still trying to do my best and hopefully turn the tide with my last 2 papers but I'm truly at my wit's end at the moment.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I received an offer from Durham to study Law and while I'm so happy and grateful, I'm not confident I can meet their offer conditions. I really want to go and I've been working really hard towards this but (and I hate that it sounds like an excuse) the past 2 years have not been the best, to say the least. My insurance is Leicester (ABB) but I'm not sure they'll take me either.

I had to go on a gap year after graduating from my A-levels college in 2022 due to personal reasons. I later found out on results day that I achieved WAY lower than I thought I would (predicted AAB, achieved BBD). Skipping to the end of 2022, I decided to resit all my A-levels and reapply to uni with new predicted grades of A*A*A. I was quite on track for this but it was very difficult to pace myself and stay focused, and now I'm in the middle of my exams as a private candidate but I fear my results will remain the same as last year, or barely improve to AAB-BBC (which obviously doesn't meet my offer requirements).

It's been very difficult for me to keep going and it's even harder when you're the only one who has to remind yourself that everything will be ok. My mental health deteriorated throughout my gap year and while I tried to not let it affect my performance, it's hard to say that it didn't. My prospects seem slim and I'm afraid I won't be able to go to uni this year again because of my grades. I know I'm more than my grades and all that but in terms of uni, these grades are kind of required to provide merit for your potential abilities while completing a degree. I'm still trying to do my best and hopefully turn the tide with my last 2 papers but I'm truly at my wit's end at the moment.

First off you are doing amazing! Resiting all your alevels is hard and you are resilient for sticking with it. I believe in you. If you don't meet the requirements for either uni then there is clearing. My cousin's firm was Leeds for law also and she was one grade off but she's glad she didn't meet her firm as she's happy where she is now (Reading) so there still good options if you can't get into Durham or Leicester. Considering your circumstances ask your unis about mitigating circumstances. I filled one in for Bath and Cambridge as I had to drop out and later got diagnosed with autism. You might be able to get in if you are a grade off. If you are massively off then look into clearing but that's for results day. Right now just try to take care of yourself (easier said than done) and focus on your exams. Remain in the present.

Quick Reply

Latest