The Student Room Group

IGCSE Edexcel Chemistry 2023

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by 224411
what did everyone put for the 5 marker on chemical tests

For lithium - flame test - red (I also described how to do the flame test)
for carbonate - add HCl, effervescence and bubble gas produced into limewater - if cloudy CO2 is present and so carbonate ion
Reply 21
Original post by Serena#J
For lithium - flame test - red (I also described how to do the flame test)
for carbonate - add HCl, effervescence and bubble gas produced into limewater - if cloudy CO2 is present and so carbonate ion

Exactly what i said except i just said “carry out a flame test” because i dont think they ever expect you to outline the whole method
Original post by 224411
what did everyone put for the 5 marker on chemical tests

You had to do a flame test for the lithium which would burn red and add hydrochloride acid to the powder then collect the gas released and test if the gas was carbon dioxide with a lime water test
Reply 23
Original post by Serena#J
I talked about how bromine can’t displace chlorine cos it’s more reactive, so solution stays orange
then I said bromine displaces iodine as it’s more reactive, turning the solution brown
This shows the order of reactivity is: chlorine, bromine then iodine
BTW i fleshed our each point but that was the basic structure

iodine is dark brown not brown but theyre probably gonna give it anyways
Reply 24
Original post by themonke
Exactly what i said except i just said “carry out a flame test” because i dont think they ever expect you to outline the whole method

i noticed that too but they always put accept a description of a flame test so i just wrote it out better to be safe than sorry
Original post by AtlasC
Really Good exam. X = 10 BTW

Were we supposed to use 14.7 or 15 for the delta H? I used 15 and got 3667 kJ/mol

What was the question out of? Honestly I’m so happy I got that right cus I didn’t 100% know what I was doing but it seems the table method came in clutch 💪
Reply 26
Original post by AtlasC

Were we supposed to use 14.7 or 15 for the delta H? I used 15 and got 3667 kJ/mol

they said to use the answer we got from the last question thus you should have used 14.7 kj
calmest exam ever im concerned abt the grade boundaries now tho
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by AtlasC

I'm pretty sure we were supposed to use 14.7 because the question specifically said to use your answer from the previous part
Reply 29
whats the answer for minium mass for cl2?
Reply 30
Original post by pewpepwpe
whats the answer for minium mass for cl2?

I dont remember the question can you specify?
Reply 31
Original post by itayrofe
I dont remember the question can you specify?

the one with 3Al + 2Cl2 -> 3AlCl2 i remember
the question ask whats the minium mass for cl2 needed to make 3alcl2 I think :smile:)
Reply 32
the one with 3Al + 2Cl2 -> 3AlCl2 i remember
the question ask whats the minium mass for cl2 needed to make 3alcl2 I think :smile:)

I dont exactly remember the question but i think at some point in the question you had to divide the moles by 2 and then multiply them by 3 to get 0.3 moles and then multiply by Mr to get a value i dont remember
Reply 33
Original post by itayrofe
I dont exactly remember the question but i think at some point in the question you had to divide the moles by 2 and then multiply them by 3 to get 0.3 moles and then multiply by Mr to get a value i dont remember

i got 21.6 or sth :biggrin:
Reply 34
Lithium - flame test, bright red
Carbonate - add HCL, collect gas produced, if gas CO2 then it contains carbonate (limewater, colourless --> milky/cloudy)
Reply 35
i was quite confused what to put for the question asking bonding......

i put Covalent bond and giant covalent structure
and Ionic bond and giant ionic structure idk if its correct or not ...
Reply 36
I think the answer for the molar heat enthalpy was -3593.33 kJ/mol:

Delta H = -(mass of liquid x specific heat capacity x temperature change) / moles
= -14700 / (0.36/88) = -3593.333kJ/mol.

The minimum chlorine mass answer was 21.3G

The water of crystallisation question was x=10.

Show the compound is Lithium Carbonate:

Flame test: Lithium will burn red if present.

CO3 2- Test: Add HCl to solution and bubble gas produced into limewater. Limewater turns cloudy if CO2 is present (because of white precipitate CaCO3).

Ar of Bromine was
(0.528 x 79) + (0.472x81) = 79.944

Show by calculation Zinc is in excess:
1.3 (g of zinc) / 65 (Ar Zinc) = 0.02
1:2 = 0.02 : 0.04
0.04>0.0036

If you have any other questions please ask.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 37
Original post by spxn
I think the answer for the molar heat enthalpy was -3593.33 kJ/mol:

Delta H = -(mass of liquid x specific heat capacity x temperature change) / moles
= -14700 / (0.36/88) = -3593.333kJ/mol.

The minimum chlorine mass answer was 21.3G

The water of crystallisation question was x=10.

Show the compound is Lithium Carbonate:

Flame test: Lithium will burn red if present.

CO3 2- Test: Add HCl to solution and bubble gas produced into limewater. Limewater turns cloudy if CO2 is present (because of white precipitate CaCO3).

If you have any other questions please ask.

Got the exact same as you but for the ΔH i rounded my moles to 3sf as i think they prefer decimals over fractions
Reply 38
i was quite confused what to put for the question asking bonding......

i put Covalent bond and giant covalent structure
and Ionic bond and giant ionic structure idk if its correct or not ...

Thats exactly what i put 🙂
Reply 39
No

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending