The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE science 2023

Hi does anyone have any revision tips or just tips in general for the Edexcel IGCSE science (double award) papers.
I am struggling with them at the minute - the maximum I can get is around 30/110 on all papers (biology, chemistry, physics). I have been stuck at this amount for well over a year and no matter what I just can't seem to improve. The questions dont seem to link to what I have actually learnt.

Any tips would be much appreciated as there is literally only a month or so until exams and I really need to pass these.
Original post by anonymous1462
Hi does anyone have any revision tips or just tips in general for the Edexcel IGCSE science (double award) papers.
I am struggling with them at the minute - the maximum I can get is around 30/110 on all papers (biology, chemistry, physics). I have been stuck at this amount for well over a year and no matter what I just can't seem to improve. The questions dont seem to link to what I have actually learnt.

Any tips would be much appreciated as there is literally only a month or so until exams and I really need to pass these.

You say "I have been stuck at this amount for well over a year and no matter what I just can't seem to improve." What have you been trying during that time in terms of learning strategies and revision techniques?

Importantly, have you been doing past papers? I ask as you say, "The questions dont seem to link to what I have actually learnt." Once you think you have to learned what you need to know, one of the best way to learn how to apply that knowledge is via past papers.

However, it's important not just to do past papers, you need to mark them in consultation with the mark scheme. Only via that approach can you understand what the examiner wanted to see, what technically vocabulary they wanted you to use, what knowledge they wanted you to deploy, etc.

Good luck!

Ok so I was in your place during my IGCSES. The only thing that will help is doing past papers. I repeat, DO PAST PAPERS as much as you can. Start by doing them while using the mark scheme. After you do a couple of them for each science subject, you will see some common questions (e.g. a common question in biology is to explain how natural selection occurs). Now you have to write down these common questions with their answers or what I did was make flashcards for all the questions I couldn't answer. I had over 120 flashcards for questions and answers of biology because the flashcards also included any questions that I couldn't answer, common or not. You have to revise these flashcards or, if you don't like flashcards and prefer learning from notes, then revise these notes everyday. So keep doing past papers and keep noting down questions you couldn't answer with their answers. For each subject, stop looking at the mark scheme after you have done around 6-7 past papers. You still have a month and that is enough for IGCSEs. You don't need notes, just the past papers. You will feel as if you are not improving at first, but I promise you will suddenly realise that you can answer the questions quite easily. Good luck!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
(Original post by NazifaNawer)Ok so I was in your place during my IGCSES. The only thing that will help is doing past papers. I repeat, DO PAST PAPERS as much as you can. Start by doing them while using the mark scheme. After you do a couple of them for each science subject, you will see some common questions (e.g. a common question in biology is to explain how natural selection occurs). Now you have to write down these common questions with their answers or what I did was make flashcards for all the questions I couldn't answer. I had over 120 flashcards for questions and answers of biology because the flashcards also included any questions that I couldn't answer, common or not. You have to revise these flashcards or, if you don't like flashcards and prefer learning from notes, then revise these notes everyday. So keep doing past papers and keep noting down questions you couldn't answer with their answers. For each subject, stop looking at the mark scheme after you have done around 6-7 past papers. You still have a month and that is enough for IGCSEs. You don't need notes, just the past papers. You will feel as if you are not improving at first, but I promise you will suddenly realise that you can answer the questions quite easily. Good luck!

hi ive got a couple of days before my bio exam can i use this method?? Also by using this mehtod what grades did you grt? thanks im defo gonna do that.
hope u reply
Original post by Ainaaa
(Original post by NazifaNawer)Ok so I was in your place during my IGCSES. The only thing that will help is doing past papers. I repeat, DO PAST PAPERS as much as you can. Start by doing them while using the mark scheme. After you do a couple of them for each science subject, you will see some common questions (e.g. a common question in biology is to explain how natural selection occurs). Now you have to write down these common questions with their answers or what I did was make flashcards for all the questions I couldn't answer. I had over 120 flashcards for questions and answers of biology because the flashcards also included any questions that I couldn't answer, common or not. You have to revise these flashcards or, if you don't like flashcards and prefer learning from notes, then revise these notes everyday. So keep doing past papers and keep noting down questions you couldn't answer with their answers. For each subject, stop looking at the mark scheme after you have done around 6-7 past papers. You still have a month and that is enough for IGCSEs. You don't need notes, just the past papers. You will feel as if you are not improving at first, but I promise you will suddenly realise that you can answer the questions quite easily. Good luck!

hi ive got a couple of days before my bio exam can i use this method?? Also by using this mehtod what grades did you grt? thanks im defo gonna do that.
hope u reply

Yes you can use this method. And I got 9 in IGCSE biology. Hope you are well prepared for your bio exam!
Reply 5
Original post by NazifaNawer
Yes you can use this method. And I got 9 in IGCSE biology. Hope you are well prepared for your bio exam!

THANK YOUUUUU IM LITERALLY PANICKING definetely using this method im doing double award science iGCSE edexcel
Original post by Ainaaa
THANK YOUUUUU IM LITERALLY PANICKING definetely using this method im doing double award science iGCSE edexcel

Haha girl don't panic! I think one of the reasons why I did good in my IGCSEs (edexcel) was because I was so chill about my exams. Everyone around me were so stressed and I didn't even care because my prep was good. In fact, I stopped Studying a week before exams started because I didn't have anything more to study. If your prep is good and you get the desired marks when doing past papers, then relax!
Original post by Ainaaa

How did the exam go for you?

Oh yeah today was bio paper 1. My International AS exam and IGCSE bio exam took place at the same time at the same venue. How was the exam for you? I looked at the faces of the bio students and they looked happy 😅. So I'm guessing the paper was easy?
Reply 9

Bro ill be honest it was weird like no organ system questions came up howd it go for you?
there were no what does this term mean questions either but hey its done uno wbu
Original post by Ainaaa
Bro ill be honest it was weird like no organ system questions came up howd it go for you?
there were no what does this term mean questions either but hey its done uno wbu

Same I found it so weird it didn’t even feel like a normal science paper I feel like the questions were all based around the same kind of things & the high markers were really hard to answer tbh. I’m ****ed tbh 😭 Hope you do ok in the other sciences tho
Reply 11
Same I found it so weird it didn’t even feel like a normal science paper I feel like the questions were all based around the same kind of things & the high markers were really hard to answer tbh. I’m ****ed tbh 😭 Hope you do ok in the other sciences tho

ME NEITHER like no organ systems came up which they did in past papers uno bio is what i find easiest inshallah we do good in the others tho
Original post by Ainaaa
ME NEITHER like no organ systems came up which they did in past papers uno bio is what i find easiest inshallah we do good in the others tho

Insh'Allah.
Reply 13
Original post by username5888380

Anyone wants Cambridge Biology IGCSE 0610 Paper 2 Topical Questions + Answers EBook Exam-Mate - find on depop!! Selling for £12 bought on website for £18.5
Ok so I was in your place during my IGCSES. The only thing that will help is doing past papers. I repeat, DO PAST PAPERS as much as you can. Start by doing them while using the mark scheme. After you do a couple of them for each science subject, you will see some common questions (e.g. a common question in biology is to explain how natural selection occurs). Now you have to write down these common questions with their answers or what I did was make flashcards for all the questions I couldn't answer. I had over 120 flashcards for questions and answers of biology because the flashcards also included any questions that I couldn't answer, common or not. You have to revise these flashcards or, if you don't like flashcards and prefer learning from notes, then revise these notes everyday. So keep doing past papers and keep noting down questions you couldn't answer with their answers. For each subject, stop looking at the mark scheme after you have done around 6-7 past papers. You still have a month and that is enough for IGCSEs. You don't need notes, just the past papers. You will feel as if you are not improving at first, but I promise you will suddenly realise that you can answer the questions quite easily. Good luck!

Hi, I’m doing igcse sciences…I’m so freaked out about the exams😭 can you please share your flashcards or knowledge organisers? It would really help me🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
Original post by Jjjjjjjjjjjjaed
Hi, I’m doing igcse sciences…I’m so freaked out about the exams😭 can you please share your flashcards or knowledge organisers? It would really help me🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Hey I'm sorry I have deleted my flashcards 😅. I took non-science subjects in A levels so I thought won't need the flashcards. But you know my flashcards may not be useful for you. Perhaps the questions I wasn't able to answer are the questions you are able to answer. Make your own flashcards ASAP. Sorry once again!
(edited 04:25)
Hey I'm sorry I have deleted my flashcards 😅. I took non-science subjects in A levels so I thought won't need the flashcards. But you know my flashcards may not be useful for you. Perhaps the questions I wasn't able to answer are the questions you are able to answer. Make your own flashcards ASAP. Sorry once again!

Thank you🙏🏻

Quick Reply

Latest