The Student Room Group

What can I do to make up for no further maths?

I am studying maths, physics and economics at A-level, predicted A*, A*, A respectively. I am hoping to study mechanical engineering at university, aiming for Imperial as my first choice.
However, after starting my ucas application and researching deeper into requirements, I have realised that further maths is something highly recommended. It is too late for me to study further maths, so now I am worried that I might get overshadowed by students that are taking it. What can I do to show universities that I have the ability, despite not studying it?
Original post by Jarm416352
I am studying maths, physics and economics at A-level, predicted A*, A*, A respectively. I am hoping to study mechanical engineering at university, aiming for Imperial as my first choice.
However, after starting my ucas application and researching deeper into requirements, I have realised that further maths is something highly recommended. It is too late for me to study further maths, so now I am worried that I might get overshadowed by students that are taking it. What can I do to show universities that I have the ability, despite not studying it?

Why not just apply and if you don’t get in take further maths for a year, and apply again. It’s too late to go back and do it alongside your other subjects (which I believe is preferable for applications). That said, with 3 demanding academic subjects I think you’ll be fine.

Hi there @Jarm416352

Although Further Maths is highly recommended, I think your predicted grades make a strong application. You may try to contact your Sixth-Form regarding taking further maths, though you need to bear in mind the work load and stress. :smile:

I think not all students studying the course will have taken further maths (or four subjects). So working hard to achieve your predicted grades is priority.

However, I am not too certain about the competition for a mechanical engineering course, so perhaps you can get in contact with the University's admission team for advice? Alternatively, you may also get a professional opinion from your Sixth-Form's Career Advisor.

Hope this helps.
Best of luck with your A levels and University applications. :smile:

Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 3
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there @Jarm416352

Although Further Maths is highly recommended, I think your predicted grades make a strong application. You may try to contact your Sixth-Form regarding taking further maths, though you need to bear in mind the work load and stress. :smile:

I think not all students studying the course will have taken further maths (or four subjects). So working hard to achieve your predicted grades is priority.

However, I am not too certain about the competition for a mechanical engineering course, so perhaps you can get in contact with the University's admission team for advice? Alternatively, you may also get a professional opinion from your Sixth-Form's Career Advisor.

Hope this helps.
Best of luck with your A levels and University applications. :smile:

Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Thank you, I did ask my Sixth form and they confirmed that it was too late to take further maths. But that just gives me more time to focus on my existing courses and pushing for the top grades.
Reply 4

There are better unis to study Engineering - Imperial is very toxic. I would look at degrees with a year in industry -

Quick Reply

Latest