The Student Room Group

Mathematics modules

Do universities care which mathematics modules I have chosen. I have the choice between Mechanics and Statistics 2. I will be applying for physics.
Original post by JoeRusso
Do universities care which mathematics modules I have chosen. I have the choice between Mechanics and Statistics 2. I will be applying for physics.

Is this for further maths? No, as our school didn't allow us to pick the modules, the teachers chose them and taught them
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BankaiGintoki
Is this for further maths? No, as our school didn't allow us to pick the modules, the teachers chose them and taught them

It's not further maths, but it did state on their website that mechanics module is recommended and the teacher has allowed us to choose our modules
It's not further maths, but it did state on their website that mechanics module is recommended and the teacher has allowed us to choose our modules

What exam board do you do?
Reply 4
What degree subject is this for - and which Uni is mentioning 'specific modules'?
Reply 5

What exam board do you do?

CAIE
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger
What degree subject is this for - and which Uni is mentioning 'specific modules'?

Physics, Oxford

Hi!

For a physics degree, Mechanics will probably be more useful to you than statistics and it will probably fit in better with your Physics A-Level (or equivalent). If the uni has specified this module it will probably also help your application by having done it.

Hope this helps!
Florence (Lancaster University Maths ambassador)

Although Oxford cares which mathematics modules you have chosen, most universities probably don't. For example, Lancaster just require an A in Mathematics, with no modules listed as recommended.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending