The Student Room Group

Getting a 2:2 what’s next

With a 60% in Level 5 and a 56% in Level 6, I already know that no matter what even if I wanted to work out my overall average across the whole of my degree I won’t be leaving with a 2:1 :frown:. Leaving with a 2:2 how bad is it… is it worth celebrating your graduation or even attending it… what are the careers prospect like and can I do a career in my dream job as a First Line IT Technical Support Technician. What careers can I a get with a Degree in Computer Networks and Technology and with a grade of 2:2 ;(.

Thanks
So a 2.2 is still a second class degree, and you should still apply to lots of jobs asking for a 2.1, but you may find a lot of places of may auto-reject. Id say a 2.2 will limit opportunities out the gate in the first year or two particularly at larger companies and on formal graduate schemes that said with general direct entry jobs as well as SMEs you may find it easier to get through HR. Once you have 2-3 years experience no one will care as they will look at your working track record and future goals.

In other words, grind like crazy for jobs you want, dont be disheartened if job hunting is painful, and you’ll find great opportunities.

Yes, celebrate your degree. This is important but i don’t think being sore about not achieving everything you wanted is a bad thing either… just use that as motivation.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by mnot
So a 2.2 is still a second class degree, and you should still apply to lots of jobs asking for a 2.1, but you may find a lot of places of may auto-reject. Id say a 2.2 will limit opportunities out the gate in the first year or two particularly at larger companies and on formal graduate schemes that said with general direct entry jobs as well as SMEs you may find it easier to get through HR. Once you have 2-3 years experience no one will care as they will look at your working track record and future goals.

In other words, grind like crazy for jobs you want, dont be disheartened if job hunting is painful, and you’ll find great opportunities.

Yes, celebrate your degree. This is important but i don’t think being sore about not achieving everything you wanted is a bad thing either… just use that as motivation.

With a 2:2 degree I wouldn’t be able to do a job such as a 1st line Technical Support Technician.
Original post by Mohammed_80
With a 2:2 degree I wouldn’t be able to do a job such as a 1st line Technical Support Technician.

I have no idea what is required for that, but if they would accept a 2.1 into a graduate role then there are almost certainly ways to find a way into the role if your willing to work towards it.
Original post by mnot
I have no idea what is required for that, but if they would accept a 2.1 into a graduate role then there are almost certainly ways to find a way into the role if your willing to work towards it.

https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/it-support-technician

This link seems to suggest this role is more of an apprenticeship applicable for school leavers. Id think a second class relevant degree would make you over qualified.

If you want the job you have to work towards it & find ways in.

If you read a couple job advertisement and it says a 2.1 do you really give up on yourself that easily? Or would you not want to find ways in the door, ways to work towards the job…
Reply 6

I know like 6 lads doing that who don't even have a degree. One is now head of IT Services at a massive FE college not far from me. Do some professional quals instead. There are plenty.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by gjd800
I know like 6 lads doing that who don't even have a degree. One is now head of IT Services at a massive FE college not far from me. Do some professional quals instead. There are plenty.

So there’s hope… how do I do that if you don’t mind me asking.
Reply 8
So there’s hope… how do I do that if you don’t mind me asking.

You'll need to.pay but plenty of places offer professional quals, CISCO certification and that sort of stuff. Mnot is right, really. Do some stuff to get experience and thevrest will follow on. A lot of these places will train you on.the job anyway if you can show you have an aptitude and some professional certifications.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending