The Student Room Group

Stick it out?

I have just completed my first year at Oxford and was gutted to get a 2:2. I had an absolutely hellish year with my family which I am hoping is going to get better next year but is no way guaranteed. This had a big effect on me academically but I also think I am struggling academically independently of this.

Obviously I have to see how I go but I am wondering if a 2:2 really is my limit and I continue to get 2:2’s next year if it will be worth it to transfer to see if I am capable of a 2:1 elsewhere? Is it worth it to come out with a 2:2?
Original post by Anonymous
I have just completed my first year at Oxford and was gutted to get a 2:2. I had an absolutely hellish year with my family which I am hoping is going to get better next year but is no way guaranteed. This had a big effect on me academically but I also think I am struggling academically independently of this.

Obviously I have to see how I go but I am wondering if a 2:2 really is my limit and I continue to get 2:2’s next year if it will be worth it to transfer to see if I am capable of a 2:1 elsewhere? Is it worth it to come out with a 2:2?

Its your first year, you still have 2 more to go at least. Please stick it out and get help with whatever you need help on. Is it academic? Social?

What course are you doing? Do you mean you got a 2:2 in prelims?

Sorry to hear you had such a hellish year last academic year :frown: I do hope things improve somehow with your family.

My brain is a bit zappy atm but as someone who also got the equivalent of a 2.2. in my first year (for Mods, as they were back then for my subject. I did a music degree), I feel I should chip in. First year at Oxford can be a baptism of fire! It's a steep learning curve and some courses (or at least, with my degree) there are loads of compulsory courses and few options to choose from - so you can't play to your strengths in first year.

A 2.2. in first year isn't necessarily indicative of what you might achieve later on in the degree. Have you spoken to your college tutors? What have they said about your results/how you're doing in general? If you haven't already had that conversation with them, that might be a good place to start. It could turn out to be confidence-boosting to hear how they think you're doing! :h:

Try not to overthink the 2.2. you got. It's not a map of your future at Oxford. That said, everything I've advised so far really depends on what you mean by "struggling academically independently of this", and what your mental health is like.

Another point to mention is that I don't know how many other unis (especially so-called 'top' unis) would let you transfer into the third year of their course, especially if that's the final year. So that's worth bearing in mind...

Finally, is it worth it come out with a 2.2.? Only you can decide that really: it depends what subject, what your career ambitions are, etc. I ended up getting a 2.2. for my final degree classification, due to unfortunate circumstances and health problems at the time of my Finals (I was otherwise on course for a solid 2.1., or possibly even a scraped First). Whilst I would have liked to have got a 2.1., I don't regret sticking it out at Oxford, as it was the right decision for me at that time. I've managed to secure solid internships (starting unpaid, then moving onto paid internships) in my field, and got onto an MA and PhD course (self-funded), so it hasn't held me back as much as I thought at the time of getting the 2.2. I think the fact that the 2.2. came from Oxford meant that people were more forgiving. But like I say, it really depends on your values and what you want out of life :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending