The Student Room Group

Literature Review

I find reading academic literature really boring. I was wondering if anyone else feels the same?
Reply 1
Original post by Sammy_Salsa
I find reading academic literature really boring. I was wondering if anyone else feels the same?

I don't know if I'd say it's boring as much as I'd like to put into question whether it is relevant for every piece of work that demands it.

There are areas where very little research, if any, had been done, which defeats the point of a literature review. But if it's within the mark scheme, you have to do it.

On the other hand, in areas that are well researched, a literature review is an integral part of academic work, as it should be. It not only demonstrates you put some effort into writing your dissertation/project/essay but that you are aware of the existing information, limitations etc. which will prevent you from accidentally replicating somebody else's work or starting a project that leads to a dead end as somebody else has already tried and failed.
Reply 2
Thanks! I totally understand. I guess the question is more so about reading academic material, not necessarily the process of a literature review. How do you find reading academic material?
Reply 3
Original post by Sammy_Salsa
Thanks! I totally understand. I guess the question is more so about reading academic material, not necessarily the process of a literature review. How do you find reading academic material?

Oh, I see. I don't really mind reading research papers most of the time (depends on what I'm researching though). Most of the time reading the abstract tells me all I need to know about whether this study is relevant to what I'm doing or not in which case I'll either close it or read the entire thing or excerpts that are relevant.

I really struggled with it at college because I didn't understand a lot of the terminology and structure related to academic writing, but I'm in the second year of my degree now so it's no longer a problem.

On the other hand, I absolutely hate quoting books as research because I feel like the research is not condensed at all and the author is getting paid by the word rather than for relaying information. It means sometimes I have to read half the book just to find out I can't actually use it. If I tried to use fragments of the book, often times I worry I may be misinterpreting or misrepresenting the research.

Of course, some research papers are more difficult to read than others but it all depends on the subject and the authors.
Reply 4
Original post by Mara1680
Oh, I see. I don't really mind reading research papers most of the time (depends on what I'm researching though). Most of the time reading the abstract tells me all I need to know about whether this study is relevant to what I'm doing or not in which case I'll either close it or read the entire thing or excerpts that are relevant.

I really struggled with it at college because I didn't understand a lot of the terminology and structure related to academic writing, but I'm in the second year of my degree now so it's no longer a problem.

On the other hand, I absolutely hate quoting books as research because I feel like the research is not condensed at all and the author is getting paid by the word rather than for relaying information. It means sometimes I have to read half the book just to find out I can't actually use it. If I tried to use fragments of the book, often times I worry I may be misinterpreting or misrepresenting the research.

Of course, some research papers are more difficult to read than others but it all depends on the subject and the authors.

I see, likewise I'm in my second year but still find it quite boring, although maybe it's because my brain just takes in information a bit differently.

The book point is so true! I get what you mean.

Thanks for your thoughts :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest