The Student Room Group

Struggling with literature review for dissertation

Hi folks, I have to write a 2000 word lit review for my dissertation (which is about app-only banks). There's a lot to do in 2000 words! to discuss the themes, say where authors agree/disagree etc and evaluate the methodologies they use, concluding where the research gaps are and producing the research questions...

So far I am 1300 words in and struggling with breadth vs depth. I have only used:
- 5 really good peer-reviewed journal articles (that have each been mentioned multiple times across different themes I have explored, comparing arguments and criticising the methods etc)
-2 books by academics (one used once as a segue into identifying a research gap, the other used as much as the journal articles)
- 4 other small references like news articles etc I've used once or twice each to support where a theory from the "proper" literature has appeared in real life or a brand-specific example.

Others are saying they are using 20+ fully peer-reviewed academic references for their review which makes me wonder am I losing breadth to the review? I just don't see how I could get the depth needed to analyse that kind of literature in 100 words per source!

I've got 700 words left and I've got to conclude and identify the research questions yet (my plan says I've yet to introduce one more peer-reviewed study and a handful more small supporting references like Big Four press releases etc), and I will be using some of the previous references to compare with again..

Please help!!!!
Reply 1
The important thing is to make sure you cover all the required sections, so you may need to edit back the stuff you have already written. Focus on completing the proposal, then reveiw it and note any areas that need more work. Focus on them until you hit the deadline. HAve some confidence in your own aproach rather than comparing with what other people are doing. You'll find out from your feedback if you're approach is working.
(edited 3 months ago)
Hi, the recommended amount of sources discussed in the literature review usually varies across different universities and courses. I would recommend contacting your dissertation supervisor and asking them to read a section of your literature review to ensure that you are on the right track and are providing enough information, and asking them how many sources they expect to see roughly. As a whole, I think that as long as you are being critical in your approach (which it sounds like you are), are using relevant and recent sources, and are covering enough information to demonstrate the current debate amongst academics, then you should be fine. However, for additional reassurance, contacting your dissertation supervisor would be the best approach!

Lauren
WrexhamUniReps
For your literature review, it really boils down to making every source count and each analysis meaningful. You're weaving together a story that shows you understand the big conversations, methods, and, most importantly, where there's room for new ideas in your field. With 700 words left and the need to wrap things up and pose your research questions, you've got to be strategic.
I can definitely relate to the struggle of tackling the literature review for my dissertation. It's a daunting task trying to sift through a mountain of research and synthesize it into a coherent narrative. However, I've found that breaking it down into smaller, manageable chunks and seeking guidance from mentors or academic resources can be incredibly helpful. Remember, you're not alone in this journey. Many others are facing similar challenges. Hang in there, and don't hesitate to reach out for support when needed. You've got this!"
I can definitely relate to the struggle of tackling the literature review for my dissertation. It's a daunting task trying to sift through a mountain of research and synthesize it into a coherent narrative. However, I've found that breaking it down into smaller, manageable chunks and seeking guidance from mentors or academic resources can be incredibly helpful. Remember, you're not alone in this journey. Many others are facing similar challenges. Hang in there, and don't hesitate to reach out for support when needed. You've got this!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending