The Student Room Group
I take both, and not yet, well, as far as I'm aware.
But you might want to call your doctor to make sure...
(And if he says there is, tell me!)
Best wishes, and good luck on it,
Jess
Cheers. I haven't found anything on google, and I'm sick of getting so ill so I'm gonna start taking it again me thinks. I'll just see if anyone replies to the contrary though :wink:
Reply 3
There are loads and loads of drugs that interact with each other and not all the interactions of every drug are known about, so i would definitely say don't take the two together unless you've asked your GP first.
Reply 4
Jonquil
There are loads and loads of drugs that interact with each other and not all the interactions of every drug are known about, so i would definitely say don't take the two together unless you've asked your GP first.

too true, in fact most of the time when people "overdose" and die it isn't the fact they have taken too much of one drug, it is that they have taken multiple different drugs and the interactions between them cause the problems. For example taking many painkillers alone will likely cause liver damage, but not death there and then, but taking too many painkillers with alcohol,heroine etc, will much more likely cause death.

I suppose a simplistic way of thinking about is that your body can often cope with an overdose of one substance by quickly discarding it, but if it has to control the concentrations of multiple harmful substances it is easy to get overloading, especially if one substance stops your body from properly getting rid of the other.
Reply 5
Echinacea is a supplement/ immune booster though, so hardly the same as taking a cocktail of painkillers.

When I was taking Lexapro (an SSRI, as is Citalopram, as far as I know) I took echinacea plenty of times, every time I felt a cold coming on etc.
Reply 6
I think when I was on citalopram I was told that there is an interaction. I don't remember taking any.
Reply 7
Just because one person took two drugs together with no problems, doesn't mean that another person can. Everyone's different, and not everyone takes the same dosage of drugs. It could be that the drugs have similar effects on the body and the combination of the two can cause an overdose, or the drugs could act against each other and one could counteract the actions of the other.
Please don't take extra drugs without asking your GP, we had a lecture on adverse drug interactions recently and you'd be surprised at how common they are and how serious the consequences can be.
There's no listed interaction in the BNF. Based on what I know about both substances, I wouldn't have thought there'd have been an interaction, but I cannot say for certain, so to be sure, go ask a pharmacist before you start taking anything extra.
Okay, will ask when I go! Thanks!
Reply 10
I found a list of drug interactions for echinacea from the site where I get my supplements. Citalopram is not on the list, but you can always ask your doctor if you're unsure. I'm not sure there are really a lot of studies on it. I hope it works out for you. Echinacea is great for if your immune system needs a boost.

Latest

Trending

Trending