The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Law Paper 2 (7162/2) - 6th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Strawberrysh
What came up in 2022 for q9 of paper 2?

Morality - safe to assume it's not coming up this year.
Original post by cephalothin
Morality - safe to assume it's not coming up this year.

alright thank you
what are your guys predictions that will most likely come up?
Reply 23
praying to god its ola and negligence
Does anyone have a list of topics that came up last year?
Reply 25
Parliamentary law making, judiciary, access to justice, civil courts and adr, law reform
What are the English legal system parts of the paper ik civil courts are included ofc, but I forgot what else?
Thank youu
Reply 27
bolam and bolitho is only for medics tho right

Original post by cephalothin
I was only taught the Robinson test, so I don't know what exactly you're missing. I've written the structure below.

Negligence is based on the neighbour principle established in Donoughe v Stevenson. Firstly, the defendant must owe the claimant a duty of care. Robinson held that the three-stage Caparo v Dickman test is not necessary so long as the duty of care is obvious.

Secondly, the defendant must breach their duty of care. In Blyth v Birmingham Waterworks, Alderson B. defined this as 'doing or not doing something that a reasonable person would or would not do.'

We must now consider the relevant characteristics:
1. Expert - judged by standard of reasonable expert. (Bollom/Bolitho)
2. Beginner - judged by standard of reasonable expert. (Nettleship v Weston)
3. Children - judged by the standard of children the same age. (Mullins v Richards)

We must now consider the risk factors, which have the potential to raise or lower the standard of care expected from the defendant.
1. Probability of harm - if the probability of injury is high, the standard of care will rise in conjunction. (Bolton v Stone)
2. Magnitude of the risk - if the probability of damages is high, the standard of care will rise in conjunction. (Paris v Stepney Council)
3. Cost and practicality - considers if there were any cost or practical barriers preventing the defendant from taking greater care. (Latimer)

Social utility (side rule) - if there was a greater benefit to society in the defendant taking the risk, they may not be liable. (Watt v Herefordshire Council).

It must now be established that the defendant was the factual and legal cause of the damages:
1. Factual cause - 'but for the defendant's actions, would the result have happened anyway? (Barnett)
2. Legal cause - the remoteness of damage test: were the damages not too remote, meaning were they reasonably foreseeable? If so, the defendant can claim. (Wagon Mound)

So long as the injuries are foreseeable, the claimant can sue. This applies even if the injuries occurred in an unforeseeable way. (Hughes v Lord Advocate).

Rescuers (side rule) - rescuers can only be sued if they make a positive act which causes foreseeable injury. (Robinson)

Emergency workers - emergency workers can only be sued if they make the risk substantially higher. Generally, however, emergency service workers cannot be sued in the public interest. (Osman v United Kingdom)

According to the thin skull rule, the defendant must take their claimant as they find them. (Robinson v Post Office)

o
Original post by Kingbets
bolam and bolitho is only for medics tho right

Wait no, its for all professionals, the case was about doctors, but it's professionals in general they are measured against other professionals
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 29
Wait no, its for all professionals, the case was about doctors, but it's professionals in general they are measured against other professionals

app its only for medics if not u would use Blyth v birmingham waterworks as the case was would the ordinary waterwork company do the same
Original post by Kingbets
app its only for medics if not u would use Blyth v birmingham waterworks as the case was would the ordinary waterwork company do the same

I understand that, but that's how my teacher taught it. I don't think I'd lose marks for using it, will I? I use Blyth v Birmingham Watetworks to show the case which established a duty of care, later built on by Lord Atkin in D v S (NP) and then C v D with the 3 part test and now Robbinson.
Reply 31
u wouldnt lose marks for talking about bolito or bolam for talking about it when its not a medical scenario however i think u woulnt be gaining any marks. i use Bylth to show duty was breached

I understand that, but that's how my teacher taught it. I don't think I'd lose marks for using it, will I? I use Blyth v Birmingham Watetworks to show the case which established a duty of care, later built on by Lord Atkin in D v S (NP) and then C v D with the 3 part test and now Robbinson.
Reply 32
None of my revision is sticking in my head... It's gonna be a fun exam tomorrow
Original post by reubenc2005
None of my revision is sticking in my head... It's gonna be a fun exam tomorrow

Maybe try making mnemonics for stuff you struggle with for example CILU for different types of visitors for occupiers liability, and when it comes to cases if you're struggling to memorise it, try do the first half instead of the long case name.
Reply 34
Can anyone go over the principles I don’t get them
Hey, how did the exam go everyone? :smile:

A-level Law

Reply 36
mfw I spend two years learning and revising Occupier's Liability only for it to not come up at all
Reply 37
Original post by t8rtaglia
mfw I spend two years learning and revising Occupier's Liability only for it to not come up at all

What did u put for liability for the two 30 markers?
Reply 38
Original post by Smithyts18
What did u put for liability for the two 30 markers?

Nuisance - liable. Injunction for night time, not for day time as only affects tv (hunter v Canary Wharf) also public benefit would outweigh at day time (miller v Jackson)
RvF - straight forward. Liable, defence of stranger fails as D is aware of the action.
Negligence - complicated, not liable as I found no DOC as not J,F,R (Hill v CC West Yorkshire) and no breach, ambulance can’t go slower due to emergency, also contributory negligence.
Nervous shock 1 - not liable fails Alcock test (prox of relationship)
Nervous shock 2 - not liable as again I argued D not negligent!
Was bobbins. The five marker els tho… never been taught that in my life

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending