The Student Room Group

ADHD diagnosis/ADHD and A levels

hey im an a level student (currently sitting my a levels rn) and I know its silly to ask on here, im not even sure what im really asking but basically i've always struggled with school. I never sat my GCSES bcz of covid so teachers gave my grades and i achieved good grades but they were better than what i actually wouldve achieved.
the main thinsg i struggle with are:
- forgetfulness
- not paying attention in lesson
- day dreaming
- major procrastination
- struggle with motivation
- losing things
- very unorganised
- anxiety
- fidgety
- poor sleep

those are the main problems and ive always been like this, recently i found out these symptoms correlate with ADHD but can also be generalised anxiety. I want to get a diagnosis but im afraid of not being taken seriously or being misdiagnosed and apperently diagnosis can take ages so im not sure if its worth it. I also dont know how to tell my parents they arent the most supportive. Neither is my school, i mentioned everything i was struggling with (i didnt mention ADHD) but they just said that a teacher wouldve noticed if anything was wrong which kinda made me feel invalidated so im scared the same thing will happen again with my GP. Ive been struggling a lot its like no matter how bad i want to do well i just cant.
i will deffo try to talk to my parents and GP about it i just dunno where to start.

I guess my questions are if you have ADHD what was the process of diagnosis like and if it has helped and by reading some of my symptoms do you think its worth trying. just any advice in general :smile:

i apologise if anything i have said is inconsiderate or offensive that is not my intention. im aware that diagnosis is the best choice to make i guess im here for some encouragement or something idk
Reply 1
not ADHD but I was diagnosed with dyslexia just before doing my a levels and they have some overlapping symptoms (poor organisational skills, trouble paying attention etc). the process for my diagnosis I admit was a bit easier, since even before being diagnosed I had been given extra learning support since primary school and 25% extra time in exams since secondary school. I mainly needed an official diagnosis to get the extra help I needed in a levels, which ended up being extra time and a computer for essay subjects. I'm obviously not a doctor but with the things you describe it would be good to talk to your parents and gp to see how they can help. obviously it might not help for the exams your doing now but it will help if your planning on going to uni. getting an adhd diagnosis on the NHS takes a long time (a couple of years I've heard) so it might be worth looking privately even though it will cost money. I ended up having to do mine privately but I only had to wait a couple weeks for an appointment instead of years. also some universities have a great neurodiversity department that help students with getting diagnosed and with setting up learning support if you would rather wait until you can do things more 'independently'

in terms of if the diagnosis helped me it definitely did! I would be doing significantly worse in uni without it. I now get my extra time and the use of a computer meaning I can actually take time to understand questions and my answers will be legible. there is also the Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) which gave me a new laptop and printer for uni which I could not have afforded to get on my own, and software that helps me focus and record notes in my lectures. definitely look for help/diagnosis if you feel like you've been struggling!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
hey im an a level student (currently sitting my a levels rn) and I know its silly to ask on here, im not even sure what im really asking but basically i've always struggled with school. I never sat my GCSES bcz of covid so teachers gave my grades and i achieved good grades but they were better than what i actually wouldve achieved.
the main thinsg i struggle with are:
- forgetfulness
- not paying attention in lesson
- day dreaming
- major procrastination
- struggle with motivation
- losing things
- very unorganised
- anxiety
- fidgety
- poor sleep

those are the main problems and ive always been like this, recently i found out these symptoms correlate with ADHD but can also be generalised anxiety. I want to get a diagnosis but im afraid of not being taken seriously or being misdiagnosed and apperently diagnosis can take ages so im not sure if its worth it. I also dont know how to tell my parents they arent the most supportive. Neither is my school, i mentioned everything i was struggling with (i didnt mention ADHD) but they just said that a teacher wouldve noticed if anything was wrong which kinda made me feel invalidated so im scared the same thing will happen again with my GP. Ive been struggling a lot its like no matter how bad i want to do well i just cant.
i will deffo try to talk to my parents and GP about it i just dunno where to start.

I guess my questions are if you have ADHD what was the process of diagnosis like and if it has helped and by reading some of my symptoms do you think its worth trying. just any advice in general :smile:

i apologise if anything i have said is inconsiderate or offensive that is not my intention. im aware that diagnosis is the best choice to make i guess im here for some encouragement or something idk

•Practically everything you've said resonates really strongly with me. I have had a really similar situation regarding the things I struggle with and even not sitting GCSEs. I did a lot of research about it and some online tests which all seemed to point in the same direction, either ADHD or ADD but I know none of those are a substitute for an actual diagnosis from a professional. I was able to talk to my mum about it (a second time, bcs first time I brought it up, we didn't talk so much in depth) a few months ago and she was going to try and get an online consult with nhs but our busy times clashed and I remember she reminded me at some point but it hasn't happened. I've been thinking about it and I'm going to be 18 in a few days so I'm wondering how that'll affect how it's handled and I've definitely been wondering if it's worth doing. I'm in year 13 and I've applied and gotten offers from unis but I've gotten a degree apprenticeship so I'll be doing that. I think a diagnosis for me would be worth it if for no other reason, the validation, and potentially support, because I have really struggled.
The first time I brought it up a few years ago, I had a general checkup at my GP, and my mum asked the doctor for advice and how we'd go about testing or getting a consultation, and she basically said, I don't think your daughter has ADHD because she wouldn't have been able to sit in her chair, mind you this was a 5 minute check up if that and I know it presents different ways and I can definitely sit in a chair for a while, but that worried me in terms of not being taken seriously. My mum and I could defo agree that that was not very professional and it clearly wasn't her area because she seemed to know nothing about it. I know I'm not going to get any support on my A levels which have already started, I just hope that we'll both be able to talk to someone who'll take it seriously. Xx.
Reply 3
•Practically everything you've said resonates really strongly with me. I have had a really similar situation regarding the things I struggle with and even not sitting GCSEs. I did a lot of research about it and some online tests which all seemed to point in the same direction, either ADHD or ADD but I know none of those are a substitute for an actual diagnosis from a professional. I was able to talk to my mum about it (a second time, bcs first time I brought it up, we didn't talk so much in depth) a few months ago and she was going to try and get an online consult with nhs but our busy times clashed and I remember she reminded me at some point but it hasn't happened. I've been thinking about it and I'm going to be 18 in a few days so I'm wondering how that'll affect how it's handled and I've definitely been wondering if it's worth doing. I'm in year 13 and I've applied and gotten offers from unis but I've gotten a degree apprenticeship so I'll be doing that. I think a diagnosis for me would be worth it if for no other reason, the validation, and potentially support, because I have really struggled.
The first time I brought it up a few years ago, I had a general checkup at my GP, and my mum asked the doctor for advice and how we'd go about testing or getting a consultation, and she basically said, I don't think your daughter has ADHD because she wouldn't have been able to sit in her chair, mind you this was a 5 minute check up if that and I know it presents different ways and I can definitely sit in a chair for a while, but that worried me in terms of not being taken seriously. My mum and I could defo agree that that was not very professional and it clearly wasn't her area because she seemed to know nothing about it. I know I'm not going to get any support on my A levels which have already started, I just hope that we'll both be able to talk to someone who'll take it seriously. Xx.

Anonymous #2 here.
Sorry I didn't put paragraphs in :|
Reply 4
Original post by Spelunker
not ADHD but I was diagnosed with dyslexia just before doing my a levels and they have some overlapping symptoms (poor organisational skills, trouble paying attention etc). the process for my diagnosis I admit was a bit easier, since even before being diagnosed I had been given extra learning support since primary school and 25% extra time in exams since secondary school. I mainly needed an official diagnosis to get the extra help I needed in a levels, which ended up being extra time and a computer for essay subjects. I'm obviously not a doctor but with the things you describe it would be good to talk to your parents and gp to see how they can help. obviously it might not help for the exams your doing now but it will help if your planning on going to uni. getting an adhd diagnosis on the NHS takes a long time (a couple of years I've heard) so it might be worth looking privately even though it will cost money. I ended up having to do mine privately but I only had to wait a couple weeks for an appointment instead of years. also some universities have a great neurodiversity department that help students with getting diagnosed and with setting up learning support if you would rather wait until you can do things more 'independently'

in terms of if the diagnosis helped me it definitely did! I would be doing significantly worse in uni without it. I now get my extra time and the use of a computer meaning I can actually take time to understand questions and my answers will be legible. there is also the Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) which gave me a new laptop and printer for uni which I could not have afforded to get on my own, and software that helps me focus and record notes in my lectures. definitely look for help/diagnosis if you feel like you've been struggling!

Thank you so much for sharing I really appreciate it!!! I will deffo talk to my parents and gp, unfortunately I wont be able to afford private. Im glad that you were able to get the support u need and your advice has made me want to try harder to get a diagnosis!! thankss
Reply 5

Thanks so much for sharing, its comforting to know someone is in a very similar position to me.
Ive also done lots of online tests and it think im more inattentive than hyperactive, im also a girl so my symptoms are more internal which i think makes it even harder to be taken seriously/easier to be misdiagnosed.
I wish i applied for an apprenticeship, ive gotten uni offers but i wont be able to achieve the grades i need so i will probably need to take a gap year and retake them ;(
Im so sorry you had that experience with the gp, after mastering up the courage to go there in the first place i also agree that it wasnt professional you should deffo try again Im afraid something like that will happen to me and then my parents will believe the doctor instead but we just have to keep trying ig. I wish the best for you and good luck with your A Levels!:smile:
Reply 6
Anonymous #2 here.
Sorry I didn't put paragraphs in :|

No worries!! :smile:
Reply 7
Thanks so much for sharing, its comforting to know someone is in a very similar position to me.
Ive also done lots of online tests and it think im more inattentive than hyperactive, im also a girl so my symptoms are more internal which i think makes it even harder to be taken seriously/easier to be misdiagnosed.
I wish i applied for an apprenticeship, ive gotten uni offers but i wont be able to achieve the grades i need so i will probably need to take a gap year and retake them ;(
Im so sorry you had that experience with the gp, after mastering up the courage to go there in the first place i also agree that it wasnt professional you should deffo try again Im afraid something like that will happen to me and then my parents will believe the doctor instead but we just have to keep trying ig. I wish the best for you and good luck with your A Levels!:smile:

Yess ofc, if at first you don't succeed...

Thank you very much and I wish you the very best and good luck for your A levels as well :smile:
Reply 8
Yess ofc, if at first you don't succeed...

Thank you very much and I wish you the very best and good luck for your A levels as well :smile:

❤️
Reply 9
Hi guys. Reading these posts actually made me cry. I’m currently in L6th and I’ve had a huge suspicion that I have ADHD for years and I display so many of the symptoms, and I’ve never done anything major about it for a few reasons:
1) People at my school are awfully judgemental
2) I’m TERRIFIED of being told I don’t have ADHD and finding out I have completely made it up and the actual explanation for the way I behave being me.
3) I’m scared school and my parents, but mainly school, will tell me I just need to get over myself.

I’ve always done well in school but I find it difficult, but that is something I majorly keep to myself. Alongside this, I also am super quiet in some scenarios in school because some of my year group and teachers really intimidate me and I’m scared that people will say this proves that I don’t have ADHD so I will never get anywhere near a diagnosis stage.

As exam season has arrived once again, I am once again having flashbacks to GCSE study leave last year. I have so much difficulty revising, I literally want to but I get distracted and physically can’t bring myself to do anything literally until the last minute and I’m getting so overwhelmed again.

I know it’s probably not possible at this point but I feel like an ADHD diagnosis would be a godsend before A Levels. I think it would mainly validate my feelings because I don’t think I’d get extra time or anything, but I feel like I would be able to work from there to work out how I can manage it.

I think your posts have given me the final push to talk to my parents more seriously about it. I would really appreciate it if this thread could stay updated as the year progresses?

I really appreciate you guys talking about your issues so openly 💞
Reply 10
Hi guys. Reading these posts actually made me cry. I’m currently in L6th and I’ve had a huge suspicion that I have ADHD for years and I display so many of the symptoms, and I’ve never done anything major about it for a few reasons:
1) People at my school are awfully judgemental
2) I’m TERRIFIED of being told I don’t have ADHD and finding out I have completely made it up and the actual explanation for the way I behave being me.
3) I’m scared school and my parents, but mainly school, will tell me I just need to get over myself.

I’ve always done well in school but I find it difficult, but that is something I majorly keep to myself. Alongside this, I also am super quiet in some scenarios in school because some of my year group and teachers really intimidate me and I’m scared that people will say this proves that I don’t have ADHD so I will never get anywhere near a diagnosis stage.

As exam season has arrived once again, I am once again having flashbacks to GCSE study leave last year. I have so much difficulty revising, I literally want to but I get distracted and physically can’t bring myself to do anything literally until the last minute and I’m getting so overwhelmed again.

I know it’s probably not possible at this point but I feel like an ADHD diagnosis would be a godsend before A Levels. I think it would mainly validate my feelings because I don’t think I’d get extra time or anything, but I feel like I would be able to work from there to work out how I can manage it.

I think your posts have given me the final push to talk to my parents more seriously about it. I would really appreciate it if this thread could stay updated as the year progresses?

I really appreciate you guys talking about your issues so openly 💞

Hi, reading this has made me glad I made this post, i am so happy it has allowed others to open up about their experiences. I relate to everything you said about having difficulty revising and also being quiet and uncomfortable discussing this around me. Ive already done 2 exams and after both of them all i felt was regret and I was annoyed at myself for not revising properly, wishing i could just study like everyone else.

After thinking about it some more, i have come to accept that it was out of my control, there is clearly something holding me back from fulfilling what I know i can and the only way i can overcome this is by getting the help I need.

I used to agree with your second point about the fear of making ADHD up. now I think even if its not ADHD what matters is how we can overcome these issues, if its ADHD or something else. Its also important to remember not to beat yourself up about it, the way you behave always has an explanation and can be improved with the proper help and guidance. Procrastination and getting distracted etc arent the only things that make up who you are, I am sure you have a million other things that your great at but maybe havent had the opportunity to explore yet. Some people are great and studying and some people just arent that doesnt mean your a failure you just have another way of thinking and working which is just as great.

Like you, I also get extremely overwhelmed during my exams, im trying to tell myself to just accept it, do what you can now and after this season is over im going to seek help and work on myself. I still get stressed out but it has helped to have a more positive mindset and to also kinda have a "it is what it isss" mindset, though it is hard to be positive i advice you to try do the same.

Im glad you feel more encouraged to talk to your parents about it, i know how hard it is. Before i mentioned ADHD, i had already been expressing my struggles so it helped them understand more with some context, maybe this approach could help you? If for whatever reason you find people arent supporting you, dont let them invalidate your experiences you know yourself best and your struggles are real your not making them up.

And i'd be happy to update you on my journey! it will probably be a veryyyy long one

Good luck with everything, ik this post was long i hope it helped somehow :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest