The Student Room Group

advice abt getting an ipad needed!

hi guys i was wondering if you could give me some advice about getting an ipad!

i’ve just finished all my AS content and all my AS exams and so I’ll be starting A2 after the half term. i’ve been using paper to write up notes and have been storing them in folders but during exam szn i’ve noticed how much trouble im having with bringing all my notes into school as i have too many folders.

also i study bio, chem and maths and so a massive part of that is practise questions. ive been printing stacks apon stacks of papers and have been storing them in folders as well and it’s kind of gotten to a point where it’s impossible to revise anywhere but home as i cant carry all my stuff with me to the library or school.

so i thought maybe it would be best to get an ipad before starting A2 content and scanning all the AS content onto the ipad so that it can be more convenient.

my problem is actually purchasing an ipad. i don’t know if i should get the 256GB ipad air 5th gen (which is like £820) which is the ipad tiktok recommends over and over again.

i want an ipad that’ll last (and ideally last for uni too) so i was thinking abt getting the air but spending that much money for a different chip feels ridiculous when a refurbished ipad air 4th gen is cheaper at apple for a price of like £560.

do i even need the air or would older gens of the pro be better? and if yes for the air, which gen should i get?

or is it even worth getting an ipad?

pls help tysm
Reply 1
An iPad is undoubtedly a worthy investment, I purchased mine at the beginning of this school year (y13). I use it for notes, anki and can see myself making good use of it at uni, too. I love being able to access practice questions with ease and a good idea is to get a wireless keyboard or mouse for it (I just ordered these from amazon and they work perfectly).

I have the iPad Air 5th gen and that has suited me really well. This might be personal preference but if you’re going to be taking it to school, the air is much more portable. I’m by no means a tech expert but although the newer generation will perhaps last a little longer, this difference will be minimal so don’t splurge if you don’t have to.

Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by amelia_blum
An iPad is undoubtedly a worthy investment, I purchased mine at the beginning of this school year (y13). I use it for notes, anki and can see myself making good use of it at uni, too. I love being able to access practice questions with ease and a good idea is to get a wireless keyboard or mouse for it (I just ordered these from amazon and they work perfectly).

I have the iPad Air 5th gen and that has suited me really well. This might be personal preference but if you’re going to be taking it to school, the air is much more portable. I’m by no means a tech expert but although the newer generation will perhaps last a little longer, this difference will be minimal so don’t splurge if you don’t have to.

thank you so much for the advice! i’ll defo invest in one :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by amelia_blum

How much gb did you get? I'm definitely getting an ipad air 5, but I'm struggling to choose between the 64GB and 265GB. I also have a laptop, which I use for online textbooks, videos, and essay work, but I plan on using the ipad for A2 class notes, as well as revision and past papers (I take bio, chem, and english lit). Do you use the apple pencil and is it any good? What note taking app would you recommend?

sorry to bombard you with questions, it's just a really large purchase and I want to make sure I won't have any issues next year!
Never used apple products but also considering an Ipad for my gcses - what kind of extra costs are there to having an ipad other than the case and pen?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending