The Student Room Group

Should I get an iPad for uni or HP laptop

I will be studying law starting this September and was wondering whether an iPad or laptop would be best suited for my course. I am aware that a laptop would be better for typing long term however I plan to use the iPad with a mechanical keyboard for heavy typing tasks. Furthermore I really enjoy the creativity that the iPad allows, through apps like procreate and good notes. But I also this a laptop would be a safer option as it would be able to run all my uni software and hold more files.

There is pros and cons to both, right now I’m leaning toward the iPad there have been updates to the iPad iOS that allow a more computerlike experience.

Please can anyone tell me what they would recommend and why?
Hi,

Congratulations on getting into law school! The answer to your question is very individual and depends on your habits and needs.

I am a proponent of the computer because I use it not only at the university but also for many other purposes. However, I observe many students using iPad during lectures to take notes. So it is certainly also an effective option.

It is very true that the current iPad software allows for much more and provides a computer-like experience. Therefore, if you feel this option is for you, I think you should lean towards it. Before you make a final decision, I suggest you write down all your electronic needs on a piece of paper, and then ask yourself if an iPad or PC will meet most of them.

I hope I could help! If you happen to have any questions, I will be more than happy to answer them here or on The Ambassador Platform, where you can chat with me and other students.

Take care,

Julia :h:
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Tryingmybest27
I will be studying law starting this September and was wondering whether an iPad or laptop would be best suited for my course. I am aware that a laptop would be better for typing long term however I plan to use the iPad with a mechanical keyboard for heavy typing tasks. Furthermore I really enjoy the creativity that the iPad allows, through apps like procreate and good notes. But I also this a laptop would be a safer option as it would be able to run all my uni software and hold more files.

There is pros and cons to both, right now I’m leaning toward the iPad there have been updates to the iPad iOS that allow a more computerlike experience.

An iPad isn't really a proper replacement for a laptop imo, they're great for note taking and drawing, but the keyboards and screens are cramped, and no matter what Apple does to iPadOS, it'll never be as good as Windows/macOS/Linux for desktop use since you won't have access to full blown software. Depending on your total budget, you could probably get a used business laptop and an entry level iPad which will be more than enough and give you the best of both worlds.
Original post by De Montfort University
Hi,

Congratulations on getting into law school! The answer to your question is very individual and depends on your habits and needs.

I am a proponent of the computer because I use it not only at the university but also for many other purposes. However, I observe many students using iPad during lectures to take notes. So it is certainly also an effective option.

It is very true that the current iPad software allows for much more and provides a computer-like experience. Therefore, if you feel this option is for you, I think you should lean towards it. Before you make a final decision, I suggest you write down all your electronic needs on a piece of paper, and then ask yourself if an iPad or PC will meet most of them.

I hope I could help! If you happen to have any questions, I will be more than happy to answer them here or on The Ambassador Platform, where you can chat with me and other students.

Take care,

Julia :h:

Thank you so much 🥲 you are definitely right I need to reflect on the my individual electronic needs as oppose to favouring the iPad. You’ve helped me think it through abit more😅☺️ I think I’ll dwell on it and decide properly that way. Perhaps I’ll get a second hand pc so it’s more affordable.
Original post by fizzyizzy05
An iPad isn't really a proper replacement for a laptop imo, they're great for note taking and drawing, but the keyboards and screens are cramped, and no matter what Apple does to iPadOS, it'll never be as good as Windows/macOS/Linux for desktop use since you won't have access to full blown software. Depending on your total budget, you could probably get a used business laptop and an entry level iPad which will be more than enough and give you the best of both worlds.

Thank you for the response I’ll keep a open mind to other options as you’ve suggested, ill probably get a second hand pc and the budget ipad I think.

Hi! I'm gonna start law this September (hopefully - if I get the grades) aswell! I came on TSR to seek advice about ipad vs laptop too!

I've been leaning towards either an ipad or a touchscreen 360 laptop eg hp x360.

The laptop is perfect for uni imo for a simple reason - it's a tablet perfect for writing on while also being a laptop which is better for subjects like law when doing assignments.
HOWEVER the laptops are way more expensive, there are cheaper ones for around 400-500 pounds but the better qaulity ones start at £1000.

The ipad is really good and can be affordable in that if you open a unidays account (use your college/sixth-form email until you get a university email) you can go on the apple student website and get an ipad Pro, air or mini for much cheaper. I've been looking at an ipad air for £668 with apple care (64gb) and if you trade in, you get refunded up to £600, if I trade in my moms old iPhone 13 I can get the ipad for £338. When buying an ipad you also get an £100 voucher applicable to ANY purchase, meaning I can get the ipad for £338 and then an apple pencil for £9 (first gen) and buy any Bluetooth keyboard online for around £20. This makes the ipad a lot more desirable to me as I don't have £1k lying around for a laptop.

Imo, and from my older sisters uni experience a foldable laptop is the best option but realistically, an ipad for £338 is looking like the better choice rn.

Hope this helps you (even with this info I still haven't made a decision) and good luck for law at uni!

Laptop , they do everything an iPad does and more . Plus they are cheaper than some iPads .
Original post by InNeedOfHelpPls
Hi! I'm gonna start law this September (hopefully - if I get the grades) aswell! I came on TSR to seek advice about ipad vs laptop too!

I've been leaning towards either an ipad or a touchscreen 360 laptop eg hp x360.

The laptop is perfect for uni imo for a simple reason - it's a tablet perfect for writing on while also being a laptop which is better for subjects like law when doing assignments.
HOWEVER the laptops are way more expensive, there are cheaper ones for around 400-500 pounds but the better qaulity ones start at £1000.

The ipad is really good and can be affordable in that if you open a unidays account (use your college/sixth-form email until you get a university email) you can go on the apple student website and get an ipad Pro, air or mini for much cheaper. I've been looking at an ipad air for £668 with apple care (64gb) and if you trade in, you get refunded up to £600, if I trade in my moms old iPhone 13 I can get the ipad for £338. When buying an ipad you also get an £100 voucher applicable to ANY purchase, meaning I can get the ipad for £338 and then an apple pencil for £9 (first gen) and buy any Bluetooth keyboard online for around £20. This makes the ipad a lot more desirable to me as I don't have £1k lying around for a laptop.

Imo, and from my older sisters uni experience a foldable laptop is the best option but realistically, an ipad for £338 is looking like the better choice rn.

Hope this helps you (even with this info I still haven't made a decision) and good luck for law at uni!

Hi! Sorry I’ve only just seen your response,I was still slightly debating on what to get but after reading your post I think I’m more interested in the iPad. 🥲I agree with all your points - getting an iPad with the student deal would take a huge burden off my shoulders quite literally 😭😭😭 laptops are so heavy. And yeah I could just get a really affordable keyboard to make it a more laptop like experience.
thank you sm for your response, wishing the both of us the best luck on results day!! We can do this!
Original post by PennyOnTheDollar
Laptop , they do everything an iPad does and more . Plus they are cheaper than some iPads .

Will take that into consideration thank you 😊
Hi! Sorry I’ve only just seen your response,I was still slightly debating on what to get but after reading your post I think I’m more interested in the iPad. 🥲I agree with all your points - getting an iPad with the student deal would take a huge burden off my shoulders quite literally 😭😭😭 laptops are so heavy. And yeah I could just get a really affordable keyboard to make it a more laptop like experience.
thank you sm for your response, wishing the both of us the best luck on results day!! We can do this!

I'm glad I could help! Btw the apple education store has just added the Ipad 10th gen and I believe 9th gen which have much more affordable options for a lot more storage so check that out it might really appeal to you
Gold luck to you too!!!
Reply 10
Please also consider Apple Certified Refurbished Ipads, they have the 8th & 9th Gen versions, and various storage space options. I have bought a number of these in the past years and they are like brand new and come with Apples own warranty. And buying from their own refurbished website gives you that piece of mind. Chuck in a new iPencil, you'll have a sweet setup for fraction of the cost.

If you then take notes and need better typing and workflow, then also consider a refurbished Macbook for writing out your documents and since you can airdrop between the devices you can continue your work on either device.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending