The Student Room Group

Is it okay to not tell my job that I will only be staying for a month because of uni?

Ive been looking for a summer job since end of march after resitting my alevels and struggled to find any till end of july. The job is 0 hours and they do not know that I leave for uni in September. I am worried they may try to avoid paying me when I tell them although I have checked my contract and up till one month i do not have to give notice although I have to wait a month to get paid. I also took on another job that I can balance to get more pay and I have not told this one either than I will only be working for a month before uni.
Original post by maur18x
Ive been looking for a summer job since end of march after resitting my alevels and struggled to find any till end of july. The job is 0 hours and they do not know that I leave for uni in September. I am worried they may try to avoid paying me when I tell them although I have checked my contract and up till one month i do not have to give notice although I have to wait a month to get paid. I also took on another job that I can balance to get more pay and I have not told this one either than I will only be working for a month before uni.

It's fine if it is a zero hours job,
If it’s zero hours, you literally owe them nothing

You don’t have to say you’re off to uni, to be fair, you don’t have to let them know anything except you’re leaving but if they ask you can just tell them that you’ve had a think and decided to go to uni

I wouldn’t waste a second worrying about a zero hours employer tho

Good luck
Reply 3
Original post by Johnny Valentine
If it’s zero hours, you literally owe them nothing

You don’t have to say you’re off to uni, to be fair, you don’t have to let them know anything except you’re leaving but if they ask you can just tell them that you’ve had a think and decided to go to uni

I wouldn’t waste a second worrying about a zero hours employer tho

Good luck

The issue is I have only started to see how toxic the environment of the first job is and I wouldn't put it past them to not pay me. I have to wait a month before getting paid (and have uni in a month) and despite being 0 hours on my contract they wrote that after a month I have to give 2 weeks' notice. I cant not do that as I cannot work for the further two weeks as I have already said due to uni but also because I want to quit the first job as soon as possible to focus on the second which gives me more money and I am not sure that I can balance two much longer. The second job I just started is contracted at 20 hours a week with one week's notice would it still be okay to resign and hand in my notice after working 3 weeks as I only have a month before uni? I would of course ask about being changed to 0 hours so I could possibly work holidays or transfer to my uni city but am sure whether or not they would do this. I have already told both jobs I would be available till spring next year although I signed nothing confirming that and neither contract says I must stay for a minimum amount of time.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending