The Student Room Group

A-Level AQA question

How do you calculate the answer to this question? The mark scheme doesn’t seem to show how they have worked it out.
(edited 11 months ago)
Issue: They gave you 2 mean **widths** not a mean length and a Mean Width, so it's very easy to be misled here.

After fixing that yourself, you can work out the surface area as a rectangle as they ask you to do.

As for percentage error, you just put the uncertainty over the absolute reading, and multiply by 100.

Hope that helps and good luck with your Exams !
Reply 2
Original post by TheGingerCarrot
Issue: They gave you 2 mean **widths** not a mean length and a Mean Width, so it's very easy to be misled here.

After fixing that yourself, you can work out the surface area as a rectangle as they ask you to do.

As for percentage error, you just put the uncertainty over the absolute reading, and multiply by 100.

Hope that helps and good luck with your Exams !

So when given two mean lengths and your meant to calculate the area, just assume the other measurement is the length?
The question was wrong so don't worry. It SHOULD have one row as Mean Width and one Row as Mean Length. I just corrected the question becuase it wouldn't make sense otherwise, and a Gill must have a Width and Length so you can fix this broken question with some thinking.

In the exam the question will actually be solvable without having to fix it first ! 😅

I hope that all makes sense. Basically it was a bad question.
Reply 4
Original post by TheGingerCarrot
The question was wrong so don't worry. It SHOULD have one row as Mean Width and one Row as Mean Length. I just corrected the question becuase it wouldn't make sense otherwise, and a Gill must have a Width and Length so you can fix this broken question with some thinking.

In the exam the question will actually be solvable without having to fix it first ! 😅

I hope that all makes sense. Basically it was a bad question.

Hahaha I was so confused. Thanks for clarifying!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending