The Student Room Group

AQA VS EDEXCEL A-Level Maths

Does anyone know the difference between AQA and Edexcel syllabus.

Other than the typical lack of resources for AQA and more for Edexcel. And the structure of both being different .
aqa has lower grade boundaries
Reply 2
Original post by KingRich
Does anyone know the difference between AQA and Edexcel syllabus.

Other than the typical lack of resources for AQA and more for Edexcel. And the structure of both being different .

I think they are pretty much the same content-wise. I prefer the way Edexcel word their questions over AQA. I also prefer that with Edexcel, papers 1 & 2 are pure, and paper 3 is applied, whereas AQA paper 1 is pure, paper 2 is pure + mechanics and paper 3 is pure + stats. I really don't like the multiple choice questions at the start of the AQA papers - sometimes there's too much work for the marks on offer for these questions IMO.
Reply 3
Original post by username0606

In other words, the percentage pass is lower than that of Edexcel?
Reply 4
As above, there is little difference syllabus wise, but the exam papers have their own style.
I don't know about AQA but I do OCR and my maths teacher says using any exam board for resources as they are mostly the same topics (I mainly use them for past papers) but also be aware that there are some differences so make sure not to stress about the things you haven't been taught and also make sure that you can do the topics are that exam board specific aswell
Reply 6

Nope, it's the other way around. Edexcel has lower grade boundaries than AQA. Here are the grade boundaries for 2019 (bearing in mind that there have been no actual exams since then, other than the Nov series that only have a handful of people compared to the annual summer exams):

AQA
AQA maths a level 2019 grade boundaries.jpg

Edexcel
edexcel a level maths 2019 grade boundaries.jpg
Reply 7
Original post by bexxr
I think they are pretty much the same content-wise. I prefer the way Edexcel word their questions over AQA. I also prefer that with Edexcel, papers 1 & 2 are pure, and paper 3 is applied, whereas AQA paper 1 is pure, paper 2 is pure + mechanics and paper 3 is pure + stats. I really don't like the multiple choice questions at the start of the AQA papers - sometimes there's too much work for the marks on offer for these questions IMO.

Yeah, that was something I’d noticed on exam papers. It seems a little odd to me that in AQA is a mixture of both pure and applied, unless they prompt similar formula between the different questions.

I feel my strength lies best in pure maths, so I’d feel that I’d be more likely to have a better outcome in paper 1 and 2 of edexcel and wouldn’t worry too much on the third if it wasn’t too bad of a grade but if I averages on all 3 I’m AQA exams, I’d probably feel worse
Reply 8

Ofqual will moderate to ensure that the qualifications are of equal difficulty - so if one has harder exams then its grade boundaries will be lower.
Reply 9
Original post by EOData
Ofqual will moderate to ensure that the qualifications are of equal difficulty - so if one has harder exams then its grade boundaries will be lower.

Okay, so depending on the questions presented in a given year of exams. The percentage mark may differ in what’s needed to pass?

So, Edexell In 2019 as above looked easier to pass but that’s likely because the questions were harder than those in AQA?
Reply 10
Okay, so depending on the questions presented in a given year of exams. The percentage mark may differ in what’s needed to pass?

So, Edexell In 2019 as above looked easier to pass but that’s likely because the questions were harder than those in AQA?

With linear exams (which means all A levels and GCSEs in England) the grade boundaries change every exam season depending on how difficult the exam is to ensure the standard remains constant. Ofqual is responsible for ensuring that the difficulty of getting any particular grade in a subject is constant across all 4 exam boards offering A level and GCSE in England (AQA, Eduqas, OCR and Pearson Edexcel).
Reply 11
Original post by EOData
With linear exams (which means all A levels and GCSEs in England) the grade boundaries change every exam season depending on how difficult the exam is to ensure the standard remains constant. Ofqual is responsible for ensuring that the difficulty of getting any particular grade in a subject is constant across all 4 exam boards offering A level and GCSE in England (AQA, Eduqas, OCR and Pearson Edexcel).

Okay, great. What about students that home study? Lol. How do they keep their studies fair with those being taught by schools lol
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by mqb2766
As above, there is little difference syllabus wise, but the exam papers have their own style.

Do you think a tutor that has experience in Edexell, would be fine teaching someone studying AQA?
Reply 13
Okay, great. What about students that home study? Lol. How do they keep their studies fair with those being taught by schools lol

That's nothing to do with the relative standard of the different exam boards. If you're studying alone then I'd go for Edexcel as it has the greatest numebr of free resources available online.
Do you think a tutor that has experience in Edexell, would be fine teaching someone studying AQA?

For learning the content, pretty much. Ask them what advice/help they'll give about aqa exams. Without being funny, Id get the content under your belt asap then worry about exam structure later.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by mqb2766
For learning the content, pretty much. Ask them what advice/help they'll give about aqa exams. Without being funny, Id get the content under your belt asap then worry about exam structure later.

Okay, content prioritise. Exam structure later.

I was a little worried incase the way the content is presented may differ from each exam board and may be harder to apply if learning for example edexcel and then taking an AQA exam and vice versa
Okay, content prioritise. Exam structure later.

I was a little worried incase the way the content is presented may differ from each exam board and may be harder to apply if learning for example edexcel and then taking an AQA exam and vice versa

Its a valid concern once you've learnt the content. The "obvious" solution is once you've finished a section of work, you blitz past AQA exam questions on that content and go over them with your tutor. If there are any problems with applying the knowledge to AQA exam questions, you get the sorted as you go along. Personally, Id expect that to be sorted quickly. Tbh, people have some problems making the transition to exam questions, whatever the taught syllabus.

Tbh, being concerned about which exam board, the difficulty of the paper, thresholds ... is really just taking time away from getting on with learning the content.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by mqb2766
Its a valid concern once you've learnt the content. The "obvious" solution is once you've finished a section of work, you blitz past AQA exam questions on that content and go over them with your tutor. If there are any problems with applying the knowledge to AQA exam questions, you get the sorted as you go along. Personally, Id expect that to be sorted quickly. Tbh, people have some problems making the transition to exam questions, whatever the taught syllabus.

Tbh, being concerned about which exam board, the difficulty of the paper, thresholds ... is really just taking time away from getting on with learning the content.

Yeah, I wasn’t asking this question to find out which one was easier. It was because I’m seeking a tutor, therefore, finding a tutor that would align best for my syllabus was the main purpose.

Also, never having a tutor. I wasn’t sure what I should be considering. You’ve help outline those issues for me though. Thanks
Yeah, I wasn’t asking this question to find out which one was easier. It was because I’m seeking a tutor, therefore, finding a tutor that would align best for my syllabus was the main purpose.

Also, never having a tutor. I wasn’t sure what I should be considering. You’ve help outline those issues for me though. Thanks

Personally, I'd not be hugely concerned if they normally taught edexcel, but were prepared to work with you on aqa exam questions. Though given two "equally good" tutors who did edexcel and aqa, the latter is preferable. However, covering the content is the most important thing at the moment.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by username0606
Is that because it is harder?

Quick Reply

Latest