The Student Room Group

Awkwardness when walking on the street

Hi, I feel more comfortable keeping this anonymous.

I am a 20yr old male. Does anyone else have this issue were you just feel awkward/embarrassed when walking by cars? Like even on the adjacent pavement. Like I feel the most awkward when a car is driving slow behind me, they could be wanting to access a drive-way that I am walking by for example or wanting to park alongside me.

Anyone else have similar experiences or could help with this? I do worry about what people think of me (also my walk is very fast and fairly clumsy but I like being able to get to places quick).

Thank you
The Spotlight Effect.

You're stuck in your head too much. Ease up on the overthinking, start working on your confidence.

Easier said than done but it's doable.
Why do you feel akward?
Reply 3
Original post by ICEcold_Stoic
The Spotlight Effect.

You're stuck in your head too much. Ease up on the overthinking, start working on your confidence.

Easier said than done but it's doable.

Thank you! I was picked on for the way I walk when I was at school, which probably did a number on my confidence too.

Original post by Kutie Karen
Why do you feel akward?

It's likely a combination of me being picked on at school / random unpredictable teenagers who can mock what I enjoy doing (my hobbies) or say stuff to me. It's probably lowered my confidence and made me think everyone's judging. Yes teenagers are immature af but they do upset me the most as they are so unpredictable in what they do/say, especially when they are in groups trying to impress their mates by being silly.

I am also on the autistic spectrum so find eye contact difficult and feel uncomfortable if people are looking at me (but there's nothing I can do about that if I'm outdoors cause people will naturally look). And jokes tend to go over my head.

Sorry if it's a lot to read!
Reply 4
What’s the matter with the way you walk? That’s something that you can change?
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you! I was picked on for the way I walk when I was at school, which probably did a number on my confidence too.

Sorry to hear that, people can be cruel at times.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I feel more comfortable keeping this anonymous.

I am a 20yr old male. Does anyone else have this issue were you just feel awkward/embarrassed when walking by cars? Like even on the adjacent pavement. Like I feel the most awkward when a car is driving slow behind me, they could be wanting to access a drive-way that I am walking by for example or wanting to park alongside me.

Anyone else have similar experiences or could help with this? I do worry about what people think of me (also my walk is very fast and fairly clumsy but I like being able to get to places quick).

Thank you

You are overthinking. You are not the main character or something. People driving in cars are not going to be looking at you as they will probably be looking at the road. Stop worrying and be more confident

Quick Reply

Latest