The Student Room Group

Integration help

For integration by substitution I get stuck on which part to make u

For e.g for this q I made cosx equal to u but the ms has Sinx so I got the whole q wrong how would I know what to make uIMG_2701.jpeg
(edited 10 months ago)
if u rewrite this a 3 f cosx(sinx) ^2 .dx then you can see the (sinx) in the brackets would be easiest to put as u because du/dx is -cosx so du would be cosx so you would have f (sinx)^2 cosx.dx become f u^2 .du then integrating u^2 would be 1/3 u^3 +c and then youd sub sinx back in so 1/3 sin^3x + c. lemme know if thats right
Original post by Alevelhelp.1

For e.g for this q I made cosx equal to u but the ms has Sinx so I got the whole q wrong how would I know what to make u

You can actually use the substitution u = cos(x) and arrive at the correct answer. Feel free to post your working if it didn't work for you. But the easiest method with this question is to spot that the function to be integrated is of the form f'(x)(f(x))^n, which means it can be integrated by inspection or via the inverse chain rule.
Reply 3
Original post by Alevelhelp.1

For e.g for this q I made cosx equal to u but the ms has Sinx so I got the whole q wrong how would I know what to make uIMG_2701.jpeg

Original post by arch17
if u rewrite this a 3 f cosx(sinx) ^2 .dx then you can see the (sinx) in the brackets would be easiest to put as u because du/dx is -cosx so du would be cosx so you would have f (sinx)^2 cosx.dx become f u^2 .du then integrating u^2 would be 1/3 u^3 +c and then youd sub sinx back in so 1/3 sin^3x + c. lemme know if thats right

This is not quite right. Easiest way to do this is with the Reverse Chain Rule. Raise sin^2(x) to sin^3(x) and find the derivative. Probably best to use chain rule here, and you will get 3cosxsin^2x, which is precisely our original integral.

Hence, it is sin^3(x) + c.

Edit: Exactly what old_engineer said above! I didn't see your reply.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by PrathHere
This is not quite right. Easiest way to do this is with the Reverse Chain Rule. Raise sin^2(x) to sin^3(x) and find the derivative. Probably best to use chain rule here, and you will get 3cosxsin^2x, which is precisely our original integral.

Hence, it is sin^3(x) + c.

Edit: Exactly what old_engineer said above! I didn't see your reply.

ah thank you both

Quick Reply

Latest